1972 Pro Bowl
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Date||January 23, 1972|
|Stadium||Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, California|
|Co-MVPs||Jan Stenerud (Kansas City Chiefs, K), Willie Lanier (Kansas City Chiefs, LB)|
|TV in the United States|
|Announcers||Curt Gowdy, Al DeRogatis|
The 1972 Pro Bowl was the NFL's 22nd annual all-star game which featured the outstanding performers from the 1971 season. The game was played on January 23, 1972, at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, California. The final score was AFC 26, NFC 13.
This was the last NFL game overall played with the hashmarks (also called the inbound lines) set at 40 feet apart (20 yards from the sidelines); the next season, they were brought in to 18½ feet, the width of the goalposts, where they still stand to this day.
|Quarterback||12 Bob Griese, Miami||16 Len Dawson, Kansas City|
|Running back||44 Floyd Little, Denver||36 Norm Bulaich, Baltimore|
44 Leroy Kelly, Cleveland
|Fullback||39 Larry Csonka, Miami||44 Marv Hubbard, Oakland|
|Wide receivers||89 Otis Taylor, Kansas City |
42 Paul Warfield, Miami
|25 Fred Biletnikoff, Oakland|
27 Gary Garrison, San Diego
|Tight end||87 Raymond Chester, Oakland||89 Milt Morin, Cleveland|
|Offensive tackle||77 Jim Tyrer, Kansas City |
75 Winston Hill, N.Y. Jets
|76 Bob Brown, Oakland|
72 Bob Vogel, Baltimore
|Offensive guard||66 Larry Little, Miami |
78 Walt Sweeney, San Diego
|71 Ed Budde, Kansas City|
|Center||50 Bill Curry, Baltimore||00 Jim Otto, Oakland|
|Defensive end||65 Elvin Bethea, Houston |
78 Bubba Smith, Baltimore
|84 Bill Stanfill, Miami|
|Defensive tackle||86 Buck Buchanan, Kansas City |
75 Joe Greene, Pittsburgh
|61 Curley Culp, Kansas City|
|Outside linebacker||78 Bobby Bell, Kansas City |
83 Ted Hendricks, Baltimore
|34 Andy Russell, Pittsburgh|
|Inside linebacker||63 Willie Lanier, Kansas City||32 Mike Curtis, Baltimore|
|Cornerback||24 Willie Brown, Oakland |
18 Emmitt Thomas, Kansas City
|20 Lemar Parrish, Cincinnati|
|Free safety||21 Rick Volk, Baltimore||13 Jake Scott, Miami|
|Strong safety||29 Ken Houston, Houston||20 Jerry Logan, Baltimore|
|Punter||44 Jerrel Wilson, Kansas City|
|Placekicker||3 Jan Stenerud, Kansas City|
|Kick returner||22 Mercury Morris, Miami|
|Quarterback||12 Roger Staubach, Dallas||11 Greg Landry, Detroit|
|Running back||43 Larry Brown, Washington||33 Willie Ellison, Los Angeles|
22 Vic Washington, San Francisco
|Fullback||42 John Brockington, Green Bay||36 Steve Owens, Detroit|
|Wide receivers||45 Dick Gordon, Chicago |
18 Gene Washington, San Francisco
|27 Bob Grim, Minnesota|
80 Roy Jefferson, Washington
|Tight end||88 Charlie Sanders, Detroit||82 Ted Kwalick, San Francisco|
|Offensive tackle||75 George Kunz, Atlanta |
73 Ron Yary, Minnesota
|70 Rayfield Wright, Dallas|
|Offensive guard||68 Gale Gillingham, Green Bay |
76 John Niland, Dallas
|65 Tom Mack, Los Angeles|
|Center||75 Forrest Blue, San Francisco||54 Ed Flanagan, Detroit|
|Defensive end||86 Cedrick Hardman, Dallas |
87 Claude Humphrey, Atlanta
|81 Carl Eller, Minnesota|
|Defensive tackle||74 Bob Lilly, San Francisco |
88 Alan Page, Minnesota
|74 Merlin Olsen, Los Angeles|
|Outside linebacker||54 Chuck Howley, Dallas |
64 Dave Wilcox, San Francisco
|58 Isiah Robertson, Los Angeles|
|Inside linebacker||51 Dick Butkus, Chicago||53 Mike Lucci, Detroit|
|Cornerback||37 Jimmy Johnson, San Francisco |
44 Bruce Taylor, San Francisco
|20 Mel Renfro, Dallas|
22 Roger Wehrli, St. Louis
|Free safety||28 Bill Bradley, Philadelphia||22 Paul Krause, Minnesota|
|Strong safety||34 Cornell Green, Dallas||20 Jerry Logan, Baltimore|
|Punter||10 Ron Widby, Dallas|
|Placekicker||5 Curt Knight, Washington|
|Kick returner||45 Speedy Duncan, Washington|
- "The game to end all games: Griese, Staubach foes again". Pittsburgh Press. UPI. January 23, 1972. p. D1.
- "Pro Bowl brings an end to the '1971' football campaign". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. January 23, 1972. p. 3B.
- "Stenerud, AFC kick NFC in Pro Bowl". Pittsburgh Press. UPI. January 24, 1972. p. 30.
- "Stenerud answers critics by booting 4 FGs". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. January 24, 1972. p. 5B.
- "'Sten' treats NFC pros rudely, 26–13". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. AP. January 24, 1972. pp. 20, 23. Retrieved January 18, 2012.
- "Owners give offense big seven-yard boost". Rome News-Tribune. Georgia. Associated Press. March 24, 1972. p. 6A.
- "NFL Pro Bowl history". CBSSports.com. Archived from the original on August 10, 2011. Retrieved January 18, 2012.
- "The 1972 Pro Bowl". Bolding Sports Research. Archived from the original on April 30, 2012. Retrieved January 18, 2012.
- "1972 Pro Bowl game book" (PDF). NFL Game Statistics & Information. National Football League. Archived (PDF) from the original on December 22, 2015. Retrieved January 30, 2012.