From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Stacia Philips Deshishku|
(vice president and general manager)
|Founded||August 7, 2014|
|ABC Radio (2015-2019)|
|Availability||Available on select radio affiliates|
ABC Audio is a radio syndicator, radio network and digital audio network in the United States. It is under the ownership of The Walt Disney Company, parent company of American Broadcasting Company (ABC), with satellite distribution being handled by Linkup Communications. It launched on January 1, 2015, as ABC Radio; it was renamed ABC Audio in 2019.
ABC Radio originally began after the split of NBC Red and NBC Blue (later Blue Network) networks with ABC taking over operations of the latter from RCA in 1943 before adopting its name 2 years later. ABC Radio was known to broadcast the first nationwide report of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Kennedy was shot in a motorcade in Dallas, Texas, at 18:30 UTC on November 22, 1963, and ABC Radio's Don Gardiner anchored the network's initial bulletin at 18:36:50 UTC, minutes before any other radio or television network followed suit.
Despite a number of different owners (Capital Cities Communications and later Disney), the radio division remained under ABC's wing until June 12, 2007, when it was sold to Citadel Broadcasting as well as most of its O&O stations in a restructuring effort. Under the terms of the reverse Morris trust, ABC shareholders held a controlling stake in Citadel, who licensed the ABC name for two more years until it rebranded as Citadel Media Networks in 2009.
On September 16, 2011, Cumulus Media purchased Citadel Broadcasting and rebranded the network division as Cumulus Media Networks. In 2013, Cumulus Media Networks merged with Dial Global Radio Networks to form the current Westwood One.
ABC maintained ownership of its Radio Disney network and its ESPN Radio owned-and-operated stations. In 2015, it announced plans to sell off all but one of its Radio Disney station licenses and stop distributing that network through terrestrial radio. The network succeeded in selling off most of its stations, leaving only KRDC; KRDC flipped to a country music format separate from the Radio Disney network but still carrying the Radio Disney brand. Its license, along with ESPN Radio's KSPN, have remained held by "ABC Radio Los Angeles Assets."
On August 7, 2014, ABC announced that it would relaunch its radio network division on January 1, 2015. The change occurred following the announcement that Cumulus would replace its ABC News radio service with Westwood One News (via CNN). ABC will continue to make its radio news programming (via ABC News Radio and its FM counterpart ABC News Now) available through the network, and will also expand to create new radio programming based on other ABC owned properties such as Good Morning America, Dancing With The Stars and Jimmy Kimmel Live. Skyview Networks would handle advertising sales and satellite distribution.
By December 23, 2014, ABC News had signed up over 1,000 affiliated stations for at least one of ABC News, ABC Digital and ABC Air Power networks. This included 200 new affiliates and multiple stations affiliating with more than one service. Major new key affiliates added included WTOP-FM, WGN and KFI.
In April 2018, ABC announced that it planned to develop new syndicated radio programs with Skyview. The pair made a deal in August 2018 to syndicate “The Dana Cortez Show” morning show formerly on “98.5 The Beat” KBBT San Antonio.
Around 2015, ABC News began experimenting with podcasts and added an audio channel to its app. On March 28, 2018, the company began its first daily podcast, Start Here. Paula Faris launched a podcast on November 13, 2018, with three episodes of Journeys of Faith.
Local Radio Networks moved its twelve 24/7 music formats on January 1, 2019, to ABC Radio for marketing and talent sharing and Skyview Networks for satellite distribution. ABC News Radio programming was previously offered to Local Radio affiliates.
Vice president and general manager Steve Jones left April 4, 2019 to work at Skyview. For the interim, four ABC News executive would head up ABC Radio: ABC News executive director, programming/news coverage Andrew Kalb, ABC News senior manager, business development Abe Velez, ABC Radio director of affiliate relations Heidi Oringer and ABC News Radio executive director of operations Jeff Fitzgerald. He was replaced in May 2019 by Stacia Philips Deshishku promoted from the position of Washington Deputy Bureau Chief.
On September 20, 2019, ABC Radio was renamed as ABC Audio as the network has evolved to offer a podcast portfolio and other forms of on-demand and linear content. Vice president Deshishku, who made the announcement acknowledges that "the power of radio remains critical to our business, as does the ABC News Radio brand within ABC Audio." In March 2020, ABC Audio indicated that ESPN Audio would take over podcast ad sales.
Programs and services
- ABC News Radio
- ABC Air Power
- The Deja Vu Show
- ABC Digital
- ABC Sports Radio
- This Week
- World News This Week
- Your Body with Dr. Jen Ashton
- 10% Happier with Dan Harris (March 11, 2016–present)
- 20/20 (November 4, 2017–present)
- COVID-19 Immunity in Our Community (March 31, 2021-present)
- Cutthroat, Inc. (March 26, 2020-May 7, 2020). 7 episodes.
- The Dropout (January 22, 2019-February 26, 2019)
- Everybody's Got Something (September 19, 2016–present)
- The Essentials: Inside the Curve (April 20, 2020-June 13, 2020). 10 episodes.
- Have You Seen This Man? (October 23, 2019-November 19, 2020). 7 episodes.
- The HeirPod (October 3, 2019—present) ABC News Royal Contributor Omid Scobie hosts
- In Plain Sight: Lady Bird Johnson (March 1, 2021-April 12, 2021). 8 episodes.
- Inside Frozen 2 (November 11, 2019-December 9, 2020). 7 episodes.
- Inside the Oscars (March 25, 2021-April 26, 2021). 6 episodes.
- The Investigation (February 11, 2019-February 7, 2020)
- Journeys of Faith (November 13, 2018-April 21, 2020) ten episodes with 3 premiere episodes
- A Killing on The Cape (October 25, 2017–November 29, 2017). 6 episodes.
- Life After Suicide (May 1, 2019-June 18, 2019)
- Motivated (June 26, 2017–December 31, 2017)
- A Murder on Orchard Street (October 3, 2017–November 30, 2017). 8 episodes.
- Nightline (November 30, 2017–present)
- No Limits with Rebecca Jarvis (January 9, 2017–December 29, 2019). 145 episodes.
- Perspective (November 9, 2017–present)
- Popcorn with Peter Travers (August 26, 2016–present)
- Powerhouse Politics (February 19, 2016–present)
- Reclaimed: The Story of Mamie Till-Mobley
- This Week with George Stephanopoulos (November 12, 2017–present)
- Truth and Lies: Jeffrey Epstein (January 9, 2020-July 10, 2020). 10 episodes.
- Tulsa's Buried Truch (April 6, 2021-April 20, 2021). 3 episodes.
- Uncomfortable (March 21, 2017–March 12, 2018)
- The View
- World News This Week (November 3, 2017–present)
- World News Tonight with David Muir (December 1, 2017–present)
- Start Here (March 28, 2018 – present) a twenty-minute audio cast hosted by Brad Mielke
- "Radio Disney to Sell the Majority of Its Stations". Billboard. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- Venta, Lance (August 7, 2014). "ABC Radio to Expand Operations". Radio Insight. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- Weprin, Alex (August 7, 2014). "ABC News radio deal with Cumulus to end, but there's an upside". POLITICO Media. Retrieved June 2, 2020.
- "Tuesday, December 23, 2014: ABC News Surpasses Affiliate Goal". Talkers.com. Talk Media, Inc. December 23, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "ABC Radio, Skyview Networks Partner To Develop, Syndicate Radio Shows, Talent". All Access. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- Venta, Lance (August 10, 2018). "Dana Cortez Show Makes Move To ABC/Skyview Networks". Radio Insight. Retrieved June 1, 2020.
- Steinberg, Brian (March 22, 2018). "ABC News Will Launch Daily 'Start Here' Podcast". Variety. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- Steinberg, Brian (November 8, 2018). "Paula Faris to Launch Podcast on Faith for ABC News". Variety. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- Venta, Lance (July 11, 2018). "Local Radio Networks Partners With ABC Radio & Skyview Networks To Expand Distribution & Sales". RadioInsight. Retrieved June 2, 2020.
- "4 ABC Radio Execs To Take On Exiting Steve Jones' Role… For Now". Insideradio.com. March 21, 2019. Retrieved June 2, 2020.
- Ink, Radio (June 11, 2019). "ABC Radio Gets A New GM". Radio Ink. Retrieved January 16, 2020.
- Venta, Lance (September 20, 2019). "ABC Radio Rebrands As ABC Audio". RadioInsight. Retrieved January 15, 2020.
- "ABC, ESPN Announce Pod Partnership". Radio Ink. March 5, 2020. Retrieved June 2, 2020.
- "America's Fascination For UK Royals Fosters ABC Audio 'HeirPod" Podcast". Insideradio.com. October 9, 2019. Retrieved January 16, 2020.
- "2023 Nominees".