From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Formerly||Blum Israel Productions (2000–2002)|
Jennifer Scudder Trent
BH Tilt (with Neon)
Blumhouse Television (55%)
It is known mainly for producing horror films, such as Paranormal Activity, Insidious, The Purge, Split, Get Out, Happy Death Day, Halloween, Us, The Invisible Man, Freaky, The Black Phone and M3GAN. It has also produced drama films, such as Whiplash and BlacKkKlansman, which both earned nominations for the Academy Award for Best Picture. Get Out and BlacKkKlansman won Academy Awards for Best Original Screenplay and Best Adapted Screenplay, respectively.
Blumhouse's company model is to produce films on a small budget, give directors creative freedom, and release films widely through the studio system. Blumhouse was originally known as Blum Israel Productions, with Amy Israel with a first-look deal at Miramax when the company was founded. In 2002, Blum and Israel parted ways, and the company became Blumhouse Productions. In 2015, Crypt TV was created by Jack Davis and Eli Roth which is backed by Blum and the company.
Blumhouse's low-budget model began in 2007 with Paranormal Activity, which was made for $15,000 and grossed over $193 million worldwide. It produced Insidious, which grossed over $100 million worldwide on a budget of $1.5 million; and Sinister, which grossed over $87 million worldwide from a budget of $3 million.
In 2018, it produced Insidious: The Last Key, Truth or Dare, The First Purge, and Halloween. Blumhouse announced a partnership with DreamWorks Animation to co-produce Spooky Jack but the film was removed from DreamWorks Animation's slate in 2019.
On November 16, 2022, it was announced that James Wan's Atomic Monster Productions was in talks to merge with Blumhouse with Atomic Monster having a shared first look deal with Universal Pictures. Both companies would continue to operate as separate labels, with each maintaining its own creative autonomy and brand identity.
Television, books, podcasts, and haunted houses
In 2012, Blumhouse opened the Blumhouse of Horrors, an interactive haunted house experience in Downtown Los Angeles. It had also collaborated with Halloween Horror Nights to bring mazes, a terror tram, and scare zones from films and properties such as Insidious, The Purge, Happy Death Day, Sinister, Truth or Dare, Unfriended, Us, Freaky, The Black Phone, M3GAN and Crypt TV.
On November 11, 2014, it launched Blumhouse Books, to publish original horror and thriller novels.
|Parent||Blumhouse Productions (with Neon)|
BH Tilt was established on September 9, 2014, to produce movies from Blumhouse and other filmmakers for multi-platform release. On September 7, 2017, Blumhouse partnered up with distribution company Neon to manage BH Tilt. BH Tilt's releases are The Green Inferno, The Darkness, Incarnate, The Resurrection of Gavin Stone, The Belko Experiment, Sleight, Lowriders, Birth of the Dragon, Upgrade, Unfriended: Dark Web and Don't Let Go.
- Dark Castle Entertainment
- Ghost House Pictures
- Gold Circle Films
- Platinum Dunes
- Twisted Pictures
- Bloody Disgusting
- Wyche, Elbert (April 5, 2017). "ITV Studios acquires stake in Blumhouse Television". Screen International. Retrieved October 1, 2021.
- Blumhouse [@blumhouse] (November 2, 2012). "@blauralum it's BLUM like plum!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Puchko, Kristy (September 11, 2013). "Insidious: Chapter 2 Producer Jason Blum Admits Horror Haters Fuel His Drive". Cinema Blend.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (March 2013). "'Sinister' Sequel Brewing As Blumhouse Eyes Hat Trick Of Micro-Budget Franchises". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Chris Ryan (November 2, 2016). "Scare Tactics". The Ringer. Retrieved November 6, 2016.
- Merry, Stephanie (February 18, 2015). "Why 'Whiplash' deserves to win the Best Picture Oscar". Washington Post.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (January 23, 2018). "'Get Out' Producer Jason Blum On Horror Pic's Road From Sundance To Oscars & AMPAS Embrace Of Genre". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Cunningham, Todd (July 20, 2014). "Blumhouse Signs 10-Year Production Deal With Universal Pictures". The Wrap. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- Garrahan, Matthew (May 31, 2011). "Master of thrills on a shoestring". FT.com. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Lyones, Charles; Bing, Jonathan (June 20, 2000). "Ex-Miramax exex to bow pic shingle". Variety. Retrieved December 28, 2021.
- Dunkley, Cathy (August 29, 2002). "Sands, Towne roll 'Six' in Vegas for Iovenko". Variety. Retrieved December 28, 2021.
- Horror video start-up Crypt TV is building a scary universe for the smallest screens
- "Paranormal Activity (2009)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Insidious (2011)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "The Purge – Movie Trailers – iTunes". Trailers.Apple. June 7, 2013. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Miller, Ryan (April 9, 2013). "Insidious: Chapter 2 will open on Friday the 13th – Horror Movie News – Arrow in the Head". Joblo. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Paramount Dates Next 'Paranormal Activity' For October 25, 2013". Deadline Hollywood. November 21, 2012. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Jessabelle Trailer, News, Videos, and Reviews". Coming Soon. January 14, 2014. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (August 1, 2017). "DreamWorks Animation, Blumhouse Team For Animated Pic 'Spooky Jack'".
- Squires, John (September 19, 2017). "Blumhouse Animated Film 'Spooky Jack' Gets Distant Release Date".
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (October 7, 2019). "DreamWorks Animation & Universal To Release 'Spirit Riding Free' & 'The Bad Guys' In 2021". Deadline. Retrieved April 27, 2022.
- Jason Blum's Blumhouse & James Wan's Atomic Monster In Advanced Talks To Merge
- Horror Show: James Wan's Atomic Monster and Jason Blum's Blumhouse in Talks to Merge
- Jason Blum's Blumhouse and James Wan's Atomic Monster in Advanced Talks to Merge
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (October 7, 2020). "Allison Williams Reteams With 'Get Out' Producer Blumhouse For 'M3GAN'". Deadline Hollywood.
- Blum, Jason (October 5, 2022). #jimhensoncreatureshop is working on our animatronics. Emma Tammi is our director. Filming on #FNAF starts in February 2023. Boom. Twitter
- Fritz, Ben (September 6, 2012). "'Paranormal Activity' producer branches out into haunted houses". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Clarke Wolfe (November 2, 2014). "Blumhouse Productions Announces Blumhouse Books!". The Nerdist. Archived from the original on June 16, 2018. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- Fleming, Mike (September 4, 2014). "Blumhouse Launches Multi-Platform Arm BH-Tilt". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- McNary, Dave (September 7, 2017). "Blumhouse Partners With Neon to Manage BH Tilt Label".
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (June 1, 2015). "Eli Roth's 'Green Inferno' To Finally Bow Sept. 25 Via Blumhouse BH Tilt, Uni & High Top". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 18, 2016). "'The Darkness' Trailer: Young Michael Has Been Acting Strange Lately". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- Greg Gillman (November 25, 2013). "WWE Partners With Blumhouse for Aaron Eckhart Exorcism Thriller 'Incarnate'". The Wrap. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "Check out the trailer for the inspirational comedy, 'The Resurrection of Gavin Stone'". The Abstract. September 15, 2016. Archived from the original on December 21, 2016. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- Mike Fleming Jr. (September 11, 2016). "Finally! A Toronto Deal! BH Tilt Lands Orion's 'The Belko Experiment'". Deadline. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- Brent Lang (January 28, 2016). "Sundance: Blumhouse, WWE Studios Buy Magician Thriller 'Sleight'". Variety. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- Borys Kit (January 7, 2015). "Relative Unknown Nabs Lead in Universal's Lowrider Drama (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (February 1, 2017). "Bruce Lee-Wong Jack-man Brawler 'Birth Of The Dragon' To Land At BH Tilt & WWE Studios".
- McNary, Dave (January 24, 2018). "Shailene Woodley's 'Adrift' Set for June Release in 'Deadpool 2' Slot". Variety. Retrieved January 24, 2018.
- Miska, Brad (May 11, 2018). "BH Tilt Sets 'Unfriended: Dark Web' for July Release".
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 10, 2019). "Blumhouse Tilt, Universal OTL & Briarcliff Entertainment Team To Release Supernatural Thriller 'Don't Let Go'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 11, 2019.