Charlie (TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Based on||Charlie Haughey|
|Written by||Colin Teevan|
|Directed by||Kenneth Glenaan|
Gavin O'Connor Fíonna Hewitt Twamley
|Country of origin||Ireland|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||3|
|Running time||72 minutes|
|Original release||January 4 –|
January 18, 2015
Charlie is a historical drama broadcast on RTÉ Television. The show premièred on 4 January 2015 at 21:30 on RTÉ One and on RTÉ Player. The show depicts the central figure of Irish politics in the 1980s, Charles J. Haughey. This drama is based on real events, exploring the emergence of modern Ireland through the rise and fall of Charles J Haughey.
The drama is set in democratic Ireland in the late 1970s. Charlie Haughey is the Taoiseach of Ireland, (portrayed by Aidan Gillen) and his loyal servant, P.J Mara (portrayed by Tom Vaughan-Lawlor). The main focus of the drama is on Haughey and his circle, and the drama largely remains true to life while capturing the excitement and menace that was in the air.
- Aidan Gillen as Charles J. Haughey
- Tom Vaughan-Lawlor as P. J. Mara
- Lucy Cohu as Terry Keane
- Peter O'Meara as Brian Lenihan Snr
- Risteárd Cooper as Dermot Nally
- Gavin O'Connor as Seán Doherty
- Marcus Lamb as Des O'Malley
- Edward MacLiam as Ray McSharry
- Peter Gowen as George Colley
- Frankie McCafferty as Des Traynor
- Fergal McElherron as Albert Reynolds
- John Connors as Jimmy
- Jody O'Neill as Geraldine Kennedy
- Rory Nolan as Charlie McCreevy
- Gus McDonagh as Bertie Ahern
- Sinead Watters as Jacinta
- Frances Tomelty as Sarah Haughey
- Laurence Kinlan as Tony Gregory
- Andrew Stanley as Gallagher
- David Herlihy as Ray Burke
- Fíonna Hewitt Twamley as Philomena
- "RTÉ One's new drama Charlie to air on 4 January 2015". RTE Press Pack. 4 December 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Charlie: First Review". Irish Independent. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "So after all the hype was episode one of Charlie actually any good". The Journal. 5 January 2015. Retrieved 6 January 2015.