From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Christopher Michael Settlemire
May 9, 1985
Howland Township, Ohio, United States
|Known for||The Leftovers |
My Super Psycho Sweet 16
Chris Zylka (born Christopher Michael Settlemire; May 9, 1985) is an American actor and model, known for his roles in the films Shark Night (2011), The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), Doyce Plunk in the TV series Zeke and Luther (2009–2011), Tom Garvey in the HBO series The Leftovers (2014–2017), and Brigg Jenner in the My Super Psycho Sweet 16 trilogy (2009–2012).
Zylka was born and raised in Howland Township, Ohio, United States. He took his mother's maiden name, Zylka, as a stage name. Zylka was raised by his mother and has never met his biological father.
He graduated from Howland High School in 2003. Zylka studied art at the University of Toledo for two years, but dropped out to care for his maternal grandfather when he suddenly became ill. His grandfather is from Ukraine.
At the age of 19, he relocated to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting. He was homeless for six months upon arriving to Los Angeles and lived in his car in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven in Burbank. Zylka described this time in his life by saying, "For about six months I lived in a '94 Ford Probe behind a 7-11 parking lot. I wound up leaving it in the lot because it wouldn't start anymore, and it just kind of became my home. I think that's where my naivety helped or I was just being stupid! I had this adolescent mind telling me everything was going to be okay, and it was. I've been very fortunate." Zylka began working at restaurants, where he was discovered by manager and acting coach Jon Simmons.
Zylka began his acting career with a guest appearance as Jason on the teen drama television series 90210 in 2008. He was cast in a recurring role in Everybody Hates Chris and had guest roles in television shows Hannah Montana, Cougar Town and Zeke and Luther. In 2009, Zylka landed a 16-episode recurring role as Joey Donner in sitcom 10 Things I Hate About You. Zylka began to move into films around this time, appearing in the comedy film The People I've Slept With (2009) and the horror television film My Super Psycho Sweet 16 (2009). Zylka would later reprise this role in the sequel, My Super Psycho Sweet 16: Part 2 (2010). He portrayed Thor in the mystery comedy film Kaboom (2010), which premiered at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival.
Zylka starred in two animal-attack-themed films, Shark Night (2011) and Piranha 3DD (2012). Zylka portrayed Flash Thompson in the superhero film The Amazing Spider-Man (2012). He played the role of Jake Armstrong in The CW's supernatural drama television series The Secret Circle. He had a leading role as Kermit in the crime drama film Dixieland (2015). The film centers around good-hearted Kermit, who just got out of prison and returns home to Mississippi.
He played Tom Garvey in HBO's supernatural television series The Leftovers from 2014 to 2017. He portrayed Alex Lachan in Lifetime's television film I Killed My BFF (2015). The film is inspired by a true story, the murder of Anne Marie Camp by Jamie Dennis and her husband, Michael Gianakos, in Minnesota in 1997. He played Chuck Harris in the drama film Novitiate (2017). The film received generally positive reviews from critics and fans. In 2018, he directed Paris Hilton's music video for the song "I Need You". He portrayed Will Jefford Jr. in the drama film The Death & Life of John F. Donovan (2018), released in September 2018. In April 2019, Zylka was cast in a recurring role in USA Network's teen drama television series Dare Me. The series follows the lives of competitive high school cheerleaders in a small Midwestern town. In April 2020, USA Network canceled the series after one season. On May 29, 2019, talent agency ICM Partners announced that they signed Zylka. Zylka portrayed Adult Ray in the short film Sorry or What Could Have Been (2020) opposite Paris Hilton.
Early in his career, Zylka appeared in an advertising campaign for Abercrombie & Fitch, shot by photographer Bruce Weber. He has appeared on the cover of several magazines, including Wonderland, Glamoholic and Bello.
He enjoys painting and is also an artist. Zylka started artmaking when he was nine years old. He described his art often coming from "a darker place". He launched his first art exhibition titled "Why Use A Name" at Pikes Hotel in Ibiza, Spain in August 2018.
Zylka dated actress Lucy Hale for nine months, and the couple split in September 2012. He was engaged to model Hanna Beth Merjos in April 2014. The couple called off the engagement and broke up in early 2015. Zylka became engaged to heiress and media personality Paris Hilton in January 2018. He proposed to her with a ring worth US$2 million during a vacation in Aspen, after one year of dating. The couple called off the engagement in November 2018.
|2009||The People I've Slept With||Mr. Hottie|
|2011||Shark Night||Blake Hammond|
|2012||The Amazing Spider-Man||Eugene "Flash" Thompson|
|2014||The Amazing Spider-Man 2||Deleted scenes|
|2015||Freaks of Nature||Chaz Jr.|
|2016||Welcome to Willits||Jeremiah|
|2018||The Death & Life of John F. Donovan||Will Jefford Jr.|
|2020||Sorry or What Could Have Been||Adult Ray||Short film; also as executive producer|
|2022||And I Miss You Like a Little Kid||Jason||Short film|
|2008, 2013||90210||Jason||Episodes: "Games People Play", "We're Not Not in Kansas Anymore"|
|2008||Everybody Hates Chris||Various characters||3 episodes|
|2009||Hannah Montana||Gabe Lamotti||Episodes: "Knock Knock Knockin' on Jackson's Head", "Promma Mia"|
|2009–2010||10 Things I Hate About You||Joey Donner||16 episodes|
Nominated–TV Guide Award for Best Ensemble (shared with the cast)
|2009||Cougar Town||BJ||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2009||My Super Psycho Sweet 16||Brigg Jenner||Television film|
|2009–2010||Zeke and Luther||Doyce Plunk||3 episodes|
|2010||My Super Psycho Sweet 16: Part 2||Brigg Jenner||Television film|
|2011||Teen Spirit||Nick Ramsey||Television film|
|2011–2012||The Secret Circle||Jake Armstrong||17 episodes|
|2012||My Super Psycho Sweet 16: Part 3||Brigg Jenner||Uncredited; television film|
|2013||Twisted||Tyler Lewis||4 episodes|
|2013||Bloodline||Troy Robbins||Television film|
|2014–2017||The Leftovers||Tom Garvey||28 episodes|
|2015||I Killed My BFF||Alex Lachan||Television film|
|2019–2020||Dare Me||Corporal Kurtz||Recurring role, 8 episodes|
|2021||Killer Infatuation||Oliver||Television film; Also known as How I Met Your Murderer|
- "Paris Hilton to wed former UT student". Toledo, Ohio: WTOL-TV. January 3, 2018. Archived from the original on September 21, 2019. Retrieved September 21, 2019.
Zylka was born in Warren, Ohio, and attended Howland High School as well as the University of Toledo.
- Maloney, Maggie (November 19, 2018). "Everything You Need to Know About Paris Hilton's Former Fiancé Chris Zylka". Town & Country. Archived from the original on May 18, 2019. Retrieved September 21, 2019.
- McBride, Caitlin (January 3, 2018). "Who is Chris Zylka? 5 things to know about Paris Hilton's new fiancé". Irish Independent. Archived from the original on May 18, 2019. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Gray, Andy (January 3, 2018). "Howland native engaged to Paris Hilton". Tribune Chronicle. Warren, Ohio. Archived from the original on September 21, 2019. Retrieved September 21, 2019.
Zylka, whose name was Chris Settlemire growing up, played quarterback for Howland High School, where he graduated in 2003.
- Corinthios, Aurelie (January 2, 2018). "Chris Zylka: 5 Things to Know About Paris Hilton's Fiancé". People. Archived from the original on September 14, 2019. Retrieved September 21, 2019.
Zylka was born and raised in Youngstown, Ohio, as Chris Settlemire (Zylka is his mother's maiden name).
- Rathe, Adam (February 16, 2012). "Chris Zylka". Out. Archived from the original on July 31, 2018. Retrieved September 21, 2019.
Zylka was born and raised in Youngstown, Ohio—back then he was Chris Settlemire (Zylka is his mother's maiden name)
- Fallon, Kevin (June 27, 2014). "From Homeless to HBO, 'The Leftovers' Star Chris Zylka's Crazy Hollywood Story". The Daily Beast. Archived from the original on June 29, 2017. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Gray, Andy (July 2, 2009). "One-time Howland QB changes playing fields". Tribune Chronicle. Retrieved January 15, 2012. – via MediaPass (subscription required) Reprinted here and on January 2, 2018.
- Yi, David (June 19, 2014). "'The Leftovers' Star Chris Zylka Takes on Hollywood". WWD. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Zylka in Brown, Emma (June 25, 2014). "Chris Zylka Remains". Interview. Archived from the original on January 2, 2018.
The Warren, Ohio native.... [M]y grandfather [is] from the Ukraine, Kiev.
- Maloney, Maggie (November 19, 2018). "Paris Hilton Has Reportedly Ended Her Engagement to Actor Chris Zylka". Town & Country. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Lonardo, Thom (March 7, 2015). "Chris Zylka". Un-Titled Project. UTP Publishing. Archived from the original on May 18, 2019. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Jeffery, Morgan (June 29, 2012). "Chris Zylka joins American Horror Story". Digital Spy. Retrieved August 12, 2021.
- "Cannes 2010: Lineup reveals a heavy dose of auteurs, with a dollop of celebrity". Los Angeles Times. April 15, 2010. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "Chris Zylka". Festival de Cannes 2019. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- Nat (January 4, 2018). "Five Things You Didn't Know About Chris Zylka". TVOvermind. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Orange, B. Alan (November 20, 2010). "Chris Zylka Is Eugene Flash Thompson in 'Spider-Man'". MovieWeb.com. Archived from the original on September 27, 2012. Retrieved November 21, 2010.
- Abrams, Natalie (August 24, 2011). "Secret Circle Taps Chris Zylka As the Witchy New Bad Boy". TV Guide. Retrieved August 25, 2011.
- Goldberg, Lesley (June 29, 2012). "'American Horror Story' Adds 'Secret Circle's' Chris Zylka". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 12, 2021.
- "Chris Zylka Is Totally Unrecognizable in His First Leading Film Role—Here's What He Has to Say About 'Dixieland'". Teen Vogue. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Reilly, Kaitlin. "Chris Zylka Distracts Us From "The Leftovers" Heartbreak With Cute Interview About Girlfriend Paris Hilton". www.refinery29.com. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Lebowitz, Shana (January 2, 2018). "Paris Hilton just got engaged with a $2 million ring — here's a look at her 2-year relationship with actor and model Chris Zylka". Business Insider. Retrieved May 20, 2022.
- Reyes, Traciy (January 3, 2015). "'I Killed My BFF' Lifetime Babysitter Movie Based On True Story Of Anne Camp, Jamie Dennis Gianakos Case". Inquisitor. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Scott, A. O. (October 26, 2017). "Review: 'Novitiate' Shares a Young Nun's Emotional Story". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Travers, Peter (October 26, 2017). "'Novitiate': And Then There Were Nuns in Stirring, Soulful Convent Drama". Rolling Stone. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Wallace, Francesca (February 15, 2018). "Paris Hilton releases a new song dedicated to her fiancé". Vogue. Australia. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "Paris Hilton's New Single 'I Need You' Is Inspired by Her 'Perfect' Fiancé Chris Zylka". People. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Cusumano, Katherine. "The Trailer for The Death and Life of John F. Donovan Is Here at Last". W. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Debruge, Peter (September 13, 2018). "Toronto Film Review: 'The Death and Life of John F. Donovan'". Variety. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Ritchie, Kevin (September 11, 2018). "TIFF 2018: Five things you missed at 'The Death and Life of John F. Donovan' premiere". Now. Toronto, Canada. Retrieved May 18, 2019.[permanent dead link]
- Petski, Denise (April 29, 2019). "'Dare Me': Chris Zylka & Taveeta Syzmanowicz To Recur In USA Network Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 25, 2018). "'Dare Me': Willa Fitzgerald, Herizen Guardiola & Marlo Kelly To Star In USA Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- Swift, Andy (April 30, 2020). "USA's Dare Me Cancelled After 1 Season". TVLine. Retrieved November 19, 2020.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (May 29, 2019). "ICM Partners Signs 'The Leftovers' Actor Chris Zylka". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "Watch This Short Film Starring Paris Hilton and Nasty Cherry's Gabriette". Paper. May 6, 2020. Retrieved July 30, 2020.
- "Killer Infatuation | The Journal Record". Retrieved July 23, 2023.
- Weatherby, Jager (August 28, 2012). "Teen Wolf's Tyler Posey Looks Hot on the Cover of Wonderland Magazine With Chris Zylka (PHOTOS)". Wetpaint. Retrieved May 18, 2019.[permanent dead link]
- "Glamoholic.com". Glamoholic. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "The Amazing Spider-Man". Bello. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Romeyn, Kathryn (May 4, 2017). "Paris Hilton and Chris Zylka Have Plans to Become Serious Artists". Architectural Digest. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Beckert, Michael; Eckardt, Steph (March 1, 2018). "Paris Hilton and Chris Zylka Open Up About the Highbrow Secret to Their Love". W. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Musuka, Maryanne (August 10, 2018). "Paris Hilton attends fiancé Chris Zylka's art exhibit". Kiss FM. Archived from the original on May 18, 2019. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "Sealed With a Kiss from Paris Hilton and Chris Zylka's Cutest Pics". E! News. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "Chris Zylka Apologizes for Slamming Ex Lucy Hale on Twitter". Us Weekly. September 20, 2012. Retrieved August 12, 2021.
- MTV News Staff. "'Secret Circle' Star Chris Zylka Keeps Things Creepy With 'American Horror Story' Role". MTV News. Retrieved August 12, 2021.
- "Bitter Twitter Breakup: Lucy Hale and Chris Zylka Take Split Public". E! Online. September 18, 2012. Retrieved August 12, 2021.
- Corriston, Michele (April 27, 2014). "Chris Zylka and Hanna Beth Are Engaged". People.
- Rivera, Zayda (April 27, 2014). "'Spider-Man 2' actor Chris Zylka gets engaged to Hanna Beth". Daily News. New York City. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Johnson, Zach (March 12, 2015). "Chris Zylka and Hanna Beth End Their Engagement and Their Breakup Gets Insanely Messy on Instagram and Twitter!". E! News.
- McRady, Rachel (March 12, 2015). "Chris Zylka, Model Hanna Beth Split, End Engagement in Nasty Online Feud". Us Weekly. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Jordan, Julie; Pasquini, Maria (January 2, 2018). "Paris Hilton and Chris Zylka Are Engaged: 'I Have Never Felt So Happy'". People. Archived from the original on January 2, 2018. Retrieved April 1, 2018.
- "Paris Hilton engaged to 'Leftovers' star Chris Zylka". CBS News. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- France, Lisa Respers. "Paris Hilton keeping 20-carat engagement ring". CNN. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Hilton, Paris (January 2, 2018). "I said Yas!". Paris Hilton verified Instagram account. Archived from the original on March 18, 2018. Retrieved April 1, 2018.
So happy & excited to be engaged to the love of my life.
- "Paris Hilton and Chris Zylka Have Ended Their Engagement". Elle. November 19, 2018. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- Gonzales, Erica (November 19, 2018). "Paris Hilton and Chris Zylka Called Off Their Engagement". Harper's Bazaar. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Baty, Emma (November 19, 2018). "Paris Hilton and Fiancé Chris Zylka Have Split, Meaning That Huge Engagement Ring Is Officially Retired". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "How I Met Your Murderer". TVGuide.com. Retrieved July 23, 2023.