Dawn of the Croods
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Dawn of the Croods|
|Based on||Characters created|
by John Cleese, Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders
|Developed by||Brendan Hay|
|Theme music composer||John Van Tongeren|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||52 (88 segments) (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Brendan Hay|
|Running time||23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||DreamWorks Animation Television|
|Distributor||Netflix Steaming Services|
NBCUniversal Television Distribution
|Original release||December 24, 2015 –|
July 7, 2017
Dawn of the Croods is an American 2D-animated streaming television series that is produced by DreamWorks Animation. The series is based on the 2013 animated film The Croods, taking place before the events of the film. It premiered on December 24, 2015, on Netflix. The second season premiered on August 26, 2016, third season on April 7, 2017, and fourth and final season on July 7, 2017. Sam Riegel was the voice director for the first two seasons, and Brendan Hay replaced him for the last two seasons.
The adventures of the series takes place before the film, with Eep and the family having new friends, and facing off against new enemy creatures.
- Dan Milano as Grug, Bud, Womp
- Cree Summer as Ugga, Pat, Clip, Pup Howler
- Stephanie Lemelin as Eep
- A.J. Locascio as Thunk, Baitsy, Steve
- Grey Griffin as Sandy, Lerk
- Laraine Newman as Gran, One-Eyed Amber Mosh, Pram
- Dee Bradley Baker as Bulk, Squawk, Bearowl, Creatures, Moler Bear, Mow, Earl, Old Man Root, Yelp, Guy
- Dominic Catrambone as Sulk, Kevin, Fan, Night Mare, Ow the Dentist, Cave Teen, Bag
- Jim Cummings as Little Mantrap
- Ana Gasteyer as Meep Boor
- Thomas Lennon as Crud, Munk
- Chris Parnell as Snoot Boor
|1||17||13||December 24, 2015|
|2||23||13||August 26, 2016|
|3||24||13||April 7, 2017|
|4||24||13||July 7, 2017|
On July 9, 2017, executive producer Hay replied on Twitter to a question about whether fourth season would be the last season, saying that it "most likely" would be.
In contrast to the computer-animated film, the series is 2D-animated. The series' creators wanted to make it more "cartoonish", but found doing "squash and stretch" in CG too expensive for television. Different animation technique also helped the series to stand out from the feature film, which was concurrently shown on Netflix. The first three episodes were animated in Toon Boom Harmony by Vancouver's Bardel Entertainment. DreamWorks soon found that Harmony was not the best fit for animating scenes that contained multiple characters at once. The rest of the episodes were traditionally hand-drawn by South Korean studios: EMation, NE4U, and Dong Woo Animation.
Awards and nominations
|2016||Annie Award||Outstanding Achievement, Production Design in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Jonathan Pyun, Aaron Spurgeon, Baptiste Lucas, Margaret Wuller and Ethan Becker (for "Garden of Eaten")||Nominated|
|Outstanding Achievement, Voice Acting in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Grey Griffin (for Lerk)||Nominated|
|Laraine Newman (for Amber)||Nominated|
- Wolfe, Jennifer (December 8, 2015). "DreamWorks Animation Unveils 'Dawn of the Croods' Trailer". Animation World Network. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- "Dawn of the Croods (Season 1, Episode 2)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Beck, Jerry (December 23, 2015). "EXCLUSIVE CLIP: Dreamworks/Netflix Animated "Dawn Of The Croods"". Animation Scoop. Retrieved December 24, 2015.
- Liu, Ed (August 25, 2016). "Exclusive Images from "Dawn of the Croods" Season 2 Released". ToonZone. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- Milligan, Mercedes (April 6, 2017). "Clip: 'Dawn of the Croods' Season 3 Premieres Friday". Animation Magazine. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Liu, Ed (July 5, 2017). "Exclusive Clip from "Dawn of the Croods" Season 4". ToonZone. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- "Dawn of the Croods - Credits". Behind The Voice Actors. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Dawn of the Croods". IMDb. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- Cannini, Chuck (December 12, 2015). "Interview: Long Island Native Brendan Hay, Producer of Dawn of the Croods". Long Island Press. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Milligan, Mercedes (December 17, 2015). "Clips: 'Dawn of the Croods' Arrives Dec. 24". Animation Magazine. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Brendan Hay [@B_Hay] (9 Jul 2017). "Most likely, yes. Hope you enjoyed your time in Ahhh! Valley as much as us" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Thill, Scott (January 6, 2016). "'Dawn of The Croods': Brendan Hay Discusses Building A Kinder, Gentler Animated Apocalypse". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Amidi, Amid (December 8, 2015). "Trailer: 'Dawn of the Croods' Hand-Drawn Netflix Series". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 1, 2015). "Annie Awards Noms: 'Inside Out', 'Anomalisa', 'Shaun The Sheep', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Peanuts ' Up For Best Feature". Deadline. Retrieved December 24, 2015.