From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Headquarters||Greenwich, Connecticut, U.S.|
Eldridge Industries LLC is a holding company headquartered in Greenwich, Connecticut, with offices in New York, London, and Beverly Hills. Eldridge makes investments across the insurance, asset management, technology, mobility, sports & gaming, media, real estate, and consumer landscapes.
Eldridge was formed in 2015 by CEO and Chairman Todd Boehly, President Anthony D. Minella, and General counsel Duncan Bagshaw, after Boehly purchased Dick Clark Productions, Billboard and The Hollywood Reporter, and Mediabistro from Guggenheim Partners.
Eldridge owns CBAM Partners, an SEC-registered investment advisor. In 2019, Eldridge increased its investment in Maranon Capital, an investment manager, resulting in Eldridge holding a majority ownership stake in the company.
In 2021, some of Eldridge's credit management operations spun out to create Panagram Structured Asset Management, an asset management firm.
Horizon Acquisition Corporation
Eldridge's special-purpose acquisition company Horizon Acquisition Corporation was founded in June 2020. The company filed for a blank check IPO of $575 million in August 2020. Horizon Acquisition Corporation II, an SPAC focused on media and entertainment, in August 2020.
In March 2017, Eldridge led a round of funding estimated at over $100 million for DraftKings, a daily fantasy sports contest provider. Eldridge also has a stake in the Los Angeles Dodgers; Chavez Ravine, the acreage around Dodger Stadium; Cloud9; and Atrium Sports;
Eldridge has invested in technology companies Capital Integration Systems (CAIS), Digital Asset, and Cutover. In 2021, Eldridge participated in multiple funding rounds for digital delivery service Gopuff, including the company's $1.1 billion financing round.
The firm provided financing to Prescient, a building technology platform, for $50 million in July 2018. Eldridge committed an additional $40 million in funding for the company in June 2020 for a total of $90 million. Eldridge led a $190 million strategic investment into Prescient in 2021.
Eldridge participated in a $235 million in AI security company AnyVision in July 2021, after previously investing in the company in 2018.
Eldridge invested in digital health platform Wellthy in May 2020, and participated in a $35 million Series B funding round for the company in June 2021. Eldridge also participated in a $62 million investment round for fertility services company Kindbody.
Eldridge also acquired sporting goods producer G-Form, which produces Smart-Flex athletic gear.
In 2017 Eldridge acquired, with a co-investor, Pittsburg-based NPC International, LLC, the largest franchisee of Pizza Hut (part of Yum Brands), and Wendy's. On July 1, 2020 NPC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Eldridge has backed hospitality group Aurify Brands since it was founded in 2011. Eldridge invested in international bakery-restaurant chain Le Pain Quotidien through Aurify in March 2021. Eldridge also invested in pizza restaurant chain Chuck E. Cheese.
Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group, an operator of horror-themed entertainment venues and escape rooms, is partially owned by Eldridge. Eldridge was part of a group of creditors who invested $1.2 billion in Canadian company Cirque du Soleil in 2020.
Eldridge owns Stonebriar Commercial Finance, a large ticket commercial finance and leasing company, and co-owns Cain International, a London-headquartered real estate firm which owns The Beverly Hilton and Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills.
Eldridge seeded Essential Properties Realty Trust, a REIT that went public in June 2018 under the symbol NYSE: EPRT. In October 2019, Eldridge invested $300 million in real estate investment company Kennedy Wilson. Eldridge committed €1 billion to Blackbrook Capital, an independent European real estate investment firm, in March 2020.
Eldridge owns Security Benefit Life Insurance, an insurer with $40 billion in assets. The firm also owns SE2, a technology platform for insurance companies. In 2019 SE2 and Life.io launched an integrated life insurance and annuity platform, SE2 Digital Engage.
Eldridge invested in DPL Financial Partners in January 2021. That year, Eldridge invested in PPRO Financial and Clearcover Insurance. Hudson Structured Capital Management refinanced in 2021, with Eldridge as its principal backer.
In 2015, Eldridge put some of its media properties up for sale, including Adweek and the Clio Awards. Adweek was sold a year later to Beringer Capital, a private equity firm that invests in digital media and marketing services. The Clio Awards, a 58-year-old ad industry event, was sold to investment company Evolution Media in 2017.
In February 2018, Eldridge announced it would be consolidating three of its entertainment properties into a new company, Valence Media, which rebranded as MRC on July 20, 2020. The properties included Media Rights Capital, a film and television studio which created Netflix shows Ozark and House of Cards; Dick Clark Productions, a producer of award shows and other live event programs; and the Billboard-The Hollywood Reporter Media Group.
MRC's co-founders Asif Satchu and Modi Wiczyk serve as co-CEOs and Boehly serves as Chairman. MRC also owns a minority stake in film distributor A24; and London-based production company Fulwell 73.
In January 2020, MRC sold music publications Spin and Stereogum to Next Management Partners.
In November 2020, Eldridge acquired the music publishing rights to American rock band The Killers, covering the band's first five albums. Universal Music Publishing Group will continue to administer the catalogue.
In September 2020, it was announced that Penske Media Corporation and MRC would form a joint venture named PMRC. The new venture would manage the daily operations of publications such as Billboard, the Hollywood Reporter, Vibe, Variety, Rolling Stone and Music Business Worldwide. A second joint venture between MRC and Penske was also announced, to manage content and intellectual property such as television series, films, and live events including South by Southwest.
Eldridge led a $3 million funding round for Laylo, a startup fan engagement platform, in 2021.
- "Company Overview of Eldridge Industries LLC". Bloomberg L.P. August 16, 2018.
- "Dodgers' Boehly Leads $100 Million DraftKings Investment". Bloomberg. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- "About Us". Eldridge.com.
- "Dodgers Co-Owner Takes Stake in Beverly Hilton Hotel". Bloomberg L.P. August 17, 2018.
- "Guggenheim Prepares To Sell Hollywood Reporter, Dick Clark Productions To Exec". Deadline.com. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Guggenheim Media Spins Off Money-Losing Hollywood Reporter, Billboard to Company President Todd Boehly (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Hollywood Reporter Parent Company Spins Off Media Assets to Executive". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "Conn. PE Firm Eldridge Closes $1.4B In Funding". Law360. April 15, 2019.
- "From CLOs to 'Ozark,' ex-Guggenheim president builds an empire". Financial Planning. 2019-09-09. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- "Duncan Bagshaw". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- "CLO Roundup: CBAM marketing its fourth $1B CLO of the year". Asset Securitization Report. 2017-11-17. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "Eldridge Industries Acquires Majority Ownership Position in Maranon Capital". www.businesswire.com. 2019-02-04. Retrieved 2020-08-11.
- "The ARK Invest Takeover Battle Is Over". Institutional Investor. Retrieved 2021-05-12.
- "Eldridge Partners with William & Mary to Develop New Course Offerings for The Boehly Center". mason.wm.edu. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- "Eldridge spins off structured credit team to launch new CLO investor". www.globalcapital.com. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- "Horizon Acquisition Corp - Company Profile and News". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- "Blank-check company Horizon Acquisition files for IPO". www.spglobal.com. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- Spangler, Todd (2020-11-23). "Ex-Netflix Programming Exec Cindy Holland Joins Board of Entertainment Holding Company Horizon Acquisition Corp. II". Variety. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- Reuters Staff (2021-03-24). "Third SPAC led by LA Dodgers owner Boehly files for $500 million U.S. IPO". Reuters. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- Curt Woodward (March 9, 2017). "Another $100 million in financing for DraftKings". The Boston Globe.
- Childs, Mary. "Former Guggenheim President Todd Boehly Is Growing His Investment Empire, From the Dodgers to Collateralized Loans". www.barrons.com. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Childs, Mary (12 April 2019). "Former Guggenheim President Todd Boehly Is Growing His Investment Empire, From the Dodgers to Collateralized Loans". www.barrons.com. Retrieved 2020-09-16.
- Garcia, David G. (2006). "REMEMBERING CHAVEZ RAVINE: CULTURE CLASH AND CRITICAL RACE THEATER". Chicana/O Latina/o Law Review. 26 (1). ISSN 1061-8899.
- Perez, Matt. "Cloud9 eSports Team Closes Series A Funding, Investors Include Joe Montana, Alexis Ohanian". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Young, Jabari (2019-12-16). "Atrium Sports buys sports analytics provider Synergy to create $100 million sports data and AI company". CNBC. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Basak, Sonali; Surane, Jennifer (1 April 2020). "US Hourly Workers Pressured by Crisis to Get Paid Sooner". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Rooney, Kate (2021-02-03). "Investing app Stash raises $125 million as it looks to add new customers — just not day traders". CNBC. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- Hu, David French, Krystal (2020-11-18). "Boehly's Eldridge invests in financial technology firm CAIS". Reuters. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- "Digital Asset Bags $120M in Series D". vcnewsdaily.com. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- "Orchestration platform Cutover raises $35M for digital transformations". VentureBeat. 2021-03-03. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- Reuters Staff (2021-03-23). "GoPuff raises $1.15 billion at nearly $9 billion valuation from SoftBank, others". Reuters. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- "Kernel raises $53 million for its non-invasive 'Neuroscience as a Service' technology". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- "Dataminr raises $475M on a $4.1B valuation for real-time insights based on 100k sources of public data". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- "Tripledot raises $78 million for London-based mobile game studio". VentureBeat. 2021-04-08. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- Iris Dorbian (July 23, 2018). "Prescient snags $50 mln Series E". PE Hub.
- "Construction Tech Co. Prescient Gets $90M Financing - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2020-09-16.
- "Prescient receives $90M in funding". Construction Dive. Retrieved 2020-09-16.
- "Building software startup Prescient raises $190M from Eldridge". News & Observer. May 3, 2021.
- "Knoema announces acquisition by Eldridge and partnership with Snowflake". VentureBeat. 2020-12-21. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- "Ready raises $5 million for hyper-casual esports platform". VentureBeat. 2019-08-27. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Gilgore, Sara (June 1, 2021). "Local fintech raises $45M 'to continue expanding aggressively'". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- "Local fintech raises $45M 'to continue expanding aggressively'". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- PYMNTS (2021-07-07). "AnyVision: Access Point AI-Based Physical Security". www.pymnts.com. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- "Wellthy Secures $35 Million in Series B Funding to Support Companies and Employees with Return to Work". TecHR. 2021-06-28. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- Stych, Anne (July 20, 2021). "Celebrities sign on to back $62 million Kindbody Series C funding". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- Apr 9, SGB Media |; Apparel, 2021 |; Updates, S. G. B.; Update (2021-04-09). "G-Form Announces Acquisition By Eldridge | SGB Media Online". sgbonline.com. Retrieved 2021-04-15.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Pizza Hut's largest franchise operator weighs options, including bankruptcy Retrieved July 1, 2020
- Pizza Hut's largest U.S. franchisee files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Retrieved July 1, 2020
- Ewen, Beth. "Backed by Aurify, Melt Shop searches for perfection". franchisetimes.com. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- Ewen, Beth. "Aurify Rescues Two Chains From Distress Amid Pandemic 'Disaster' in NYC". franchisetimes.com. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- How Eldridge Industries Found Coronavirus Investment Opportunities, retrieved 2021-05-16
- Childs, Mary. "Former Guggenheim President Todd Boehly Is Growing His Investment Empire, From the Dodgers to Collateralized Loans". www.barrons.com. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- OKONEmailFollow, B. O. B. "Thirteenth Floor plans haunted house at Old Joliet Prison". www.theherald-news.com. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- Kosman, Josh (2020-06-08). "Cirque du Soleil gets $1.2 billion buyout offer from creditors". New York Post. Retrieved 2021-05-12.
- Spangler, Todd; Spangler, Todd (2021-06-14). "'VR Without the Goggles': Illuminarium Set to Launch Its First Immersive Entertainment Location in Atlanta". Variety. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- Finance, Stonebriar Commercial. "Stonebriar Set to Close its Fifth Equipment Securitization Transaction for $650 Million". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "From CLOs to 'Ozark,' ex-Guggenheim president builds an empire". Financial Planning. 2019-09-09. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Gittelsohn, John; Clark, Patrick (17 August 2018). "Dodgers Co-Owner Takes Stake in Beverly Hilton Hotel". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Lazaroff, Leon. "Dick Clark Productions deal expected to close in coming weeks". TheStreet. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Kristy Westgard (June 21, 2018). "'Retail Apocalypse' Didn't Scare This Landlord Off an IPO". Bloomberg L.P.
- "Kennedy Wilson receives $300M investment, announces new $1.5B target for West Coast fund". The Real Deal Los Angeles. 2019-10-18. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- "Industry Veterans Launch European Specialist Real Estate Investment Firm Blackbrook Capital". Blackbrook. Retrieved 2020-08-11.
- IPE Staff (3 March 2020). "New European property investment firm gets €1bn capital backing". Real Assets. Retrieved 2020-08-11.
- "From CLOs to 'Ozark,' Ex-Guggenheim President Builds an Empire". BloombergQuint. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- SE2 (2020-06-30). "SE2 named a Leader in Life, Annuities, and Pensions BPS by NelsonHall". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- Chicago, Finn Partners (2019-09-19). "SE2 and Life.io Announce Integrated, End-To-End Digital Engagement Solution That Reimagines Selling and Policy Servicing of Life Insurance". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- Cawthon, Haley (January 13, 2021). "DPL Financial Partners secures $26 million in growth capital". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2021-05-12.
- "PPRO extends latest round to $270M, adding JPMorgan and Eldridge to grow its localized payments platform". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2021-05-12.
- "EXCLUSIVE Insurance startup Clearcover raises $200 mln from Eldridge, others at $1 bln valuation". Reuters. 2021-04-13. Retrieved 2021-05-12.
- Evans, Steven (2021-02-09). "Hudson Structured refinances with Eldridge backing for future growth - Artemis.bm". Artemis.bm. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- Keith J. Kelly (May 31, 2016). "AdWeek, Clio Awards put up for sale". New York Post.
- "Adweek acquired by private equity firm Beringer Capital". TechCrunch. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Clio Awards Acquired by Global Investment Firm Evolution Media". Adweek. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- "Hollywood Reporter-Billboard Group acquires Spin, Vibe and Stereogum". Los Angeles Times. December 23, 2016. Retrieved December 13, 2018.
- Wallenstein, Andrew (2018-02-01). "Media Rights Capital, Dick Clark Prods., THR-Billboard Form Combined Company". Variety. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Goldsmith, Jill (2020-07-22). "THR Parent Valence Media Rebrands As MRC". Deadline. Retrieved 2020-07-22.
- Wallenstein, Andrew (2018-02-01). "Media Rights Capital, Dick Clark Prods., THR-Billboard Form Combined Company". Variety. Retrieved 2020-06-29.
- "From CLOs to 'Ozark,' ex-Guggenheim president builds an empire". Financial Planning. 2019-09-09. Retrieved 2020-06-29.
- Wallenstein, Andrew (2018-02-01). "Media Rights Capital, Dick Clark Prods., THR-Billboard Form Combined Company". Variety. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- Faughnder, Ryan. "'House of Cards' producer MRC merges with Dick Clark Productions and Hollywood Reporter publisher". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- Diane Haithman (February 2, 2018). "Billboard-Hollywood Reporter, Dick Clark Productions and MRC Merge as Valence Media". Los Angeles Business Journal.
- Tony Maglio (February 1, 2018). "THR to Combine With Dick Clark Productions, 'House of Cards' Studio in New Todd Boehly Banner". TheWrap.
- "Eldridge Industries Announces $1.36 Billion Equity Investment". www.businesswire.com. 2019-04-15. Retrieved 2020-06-29.
- Lexy Perez (July 9, 2018). "Beyonce, Jay-Z Among Headliners at Global Citizen Festival Honoring Nelson Mandela Centennial". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Steele, Anne (2019-12-18). "Billboard Parent Buys Nielsen Music". The Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2020-07-22.
- "Billboard-The Hollywood Reporter Media Group Sells Spin, Agreement in Place for Sale of Stereogum". Billboard. 2020-01-16. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- "The Killers' Catalog Acquired in Eldridge's First Music Publishing Deal". Billboard.
- Yoo, Noah. "Rolling Stone, Billboard, Vibe, More to Operate Under New Joint Venture PMRC". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- "Billboard Parent Company MRC Teams With Penske Media for Publishing and Content Ventures". Billboard. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- "Laylo Raises $3 Million From Eldridge-Led Group | Los Angeles Business Journal". labusinessjournal.com. Retrieved 2021-09-06.