Exception (TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Created by||Hirotaka Adachi|
|Written by||Hirotaka Adachi|
|Creative director||Tomokazu Osawa|
|Country of origin|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Executive producer||Taiki Sakurai|
|Running time||24–45 min|
|Production companies||Tatsunoko Production|
|Original release||October 13, 2022|
Exception (stylized as e∞ception) is a science fiction horror web anime series based on an original story by Hirotaka Adachi with character designs by Yoshitaka Amano, music by Ryuichi Sakamoto, and directed by Yūzō Satō.
The series debuted on Netflix on October 13, 2022.
Humans are searching a new solar system for potential new planets to terraform after being forced to leave Earth. To explore a potential planet, "Womb", a 3D biological printer creates a exploration team one individual at a time to man spacecraft. However, a fatal exception causes one crew member, Lewis, to be misprinted as a deformed monster that could potentially pose a threat to the rest of the crew. A new, successful printing of Lewis joins the crew to help in the situation, which raises philosophical questions of humanity, self, and life.
- Voiced by: Chikahiro Kobayashi (Japanese); Nolan North (English)
- Voiced by: Yūko Kaida (Japanese); Ali Hillis (English)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese); Robbie Daymond (English)
- Voiced by: Takanori Hoshino (Japanese); Eugene Byrd (English)
- Voiced by: Atsumi Tanezaki (Japanese); Nadine Nicole (English)
All episodes were written by Hirotaka Adachi and directed by Yūzō Satō with Chien Yi Lin, Yu Cheng Wang, Mntn Chang and Grace Chen as assistant directors.
|No.||Title||Storyboards by||Original release date|
|1||"Misprint"||Field Liu, Ying Chia Chu, Chang Ching Chen||October 13, 2022|
|2||"Hunger"||Jin Cheng Ye||October 13, 2022|
|3||"Contact"||Field Liu||October 13, 2022|
|4||"Collusion"||Field Liu||October 13, 2022|
|5||"Investigation"||Field Liu, Ying Chia Chu, Chang Ching Chen||October 13, 2022|
|6||"Betrayal"||Ying Chia Chu||October 13, 2022|
|7||"Survival"||Field Liu, Ying Chia Chu, Chang Ching Chen||October 13, 2022|
|8||"Gravitation"||Jia Li Cheng||October 13, 2022|
Production and release
Netflix first announced the project as part of their Geeked Week in June 2021. Hirotaka Adachi wrote a new science fiction horror story, and the character designs were done by Yoshitaka Amano, who designs the characters for Final Fantasy games. The series is directed by Yūzō Satō. At the next year's Geeked Week, Netflix released the first look at some the series art and character designs. A trailer was released in September 2022, revealing that Ryuichi Sakamoto composed the music for the series as well as the main Japanese and English cast members.
The series debuted worldwide on October 13, 2022.
The episode "Misprint" from Exception was nominated for an Annie Award for Directing in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production in 2023.
- ^ a b c d e f Milligan, Mercedes (September 13, 2022). "Exception: Sci-Fi Horror Anime Readies to Launch with New Trailer, Images". Animation Magazine.
- ^ Squires, John (2021-06-10). "Netflix Announces New Animated Projects Including Zack Snyder's "Twilight of the Gods" and a Space-Horror Series!". Bloody Disgusting!.
- ^ Mateo, Alex (2021-06-10). "Netflix Announces Exception Anime Based on New Story by Novelist/Director Otsuichi with Character Designs by Yoshitaka Amano". Anime News Network.
- ^ Valdez, Nick (June 8, 2022). "Netflix's Exception Anime Shares First Look". ComicBook.com. CBS Interactive.
- ^ Whittock, Jesse (September 12, 2022). "Exception: Netflix Releases Launch Date And Trailer For Space Anime Horror Series". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation.
- ^ Giardina, Carolyn (January 17, 2023). "Annie Awards: Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio Leads Feature Competition With Nine Noms". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 17, 2023.