From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Executive producer (EP) is one of the top positions in the making of a commercial entertainment product. Depending on the medium, the executive producer may be concerned with management accounting or associated with legal issues (like copyrights or royalties). In films, the executive producer generally contributes to the film's budget and their involvement depends on the project, with some simply securing funds and others being involved in the filmmaking process.
In films, executive producers may finance the film, participate in the creative effort, or work on set. Their responsibilities vary from funding or attracting investors into the movie project to legal, scripting, marketing, advisory and supervising capacities.
Executive producers vary in involvement, responsibility and power. Some executive producers have hands-on control over every aspect of production, some supervise the producers of a project, while others are involved in name only.
The crediting of executive producers in the film industry has risen over time. In the mid-to-late 1990s, there were an average of just under two executive producers per film. In 2000, the number jumped to 2.5 (more than the number of standard "film producers"). In 2013, there were an average of 4.4 executive producers per film, compared with 3.2 producers as of 2016.
In television, an executive producer usually supervises the creative content and the financial aspects of a production. Some writers, like Aaron Sorkin, Stephen J. Cannell, Tina Fey, and Ryan Murphy, have worked as both the creator and the producer of the same show. In the case of multiple executive producers on a television show, the one outranking the others is called the showrunner, or the leading executive producer.
In recorded music, record labels distinguish between an executive producer and a record producer. The executive producer is responsible for business decisions and more recently, organizing the recordings along with the music producer, whereas the record producer produces the music. Sometimes the executive producer organises the recording and selects recording-related crew, such as sound engineers and session musicians.
For example, in 2012, Jay-Z was announced as executive producer for NBA 2K13. His role consisted of appearing in an introduction, picking songs for the game's soundtrack and contributing to the design of its in-game menus "and other visual elements".
An executive radio producer helps create, develop, and implement strategies to improve product and ratings.
- Creative executive
- Development executive
- Line producer
- Studio executive
- Unit production manager
- Music supervisor
- "Typically an executive producer may handle business and legal issues". IMDB. Archived from the original on 4 March 2013. Retrieved 10 March 2013.[unreliable source?]
- "What is an Executive Producer?". WiseGEEK. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Executive Producer". CareersinFilm.com. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- "Executive Producer (aka Executive in Charge of Production)". Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "The Program Doctor".
- "How many movie producers does a film need?". Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- "In television, an Executive Producer may also be the Creator/Writer of a series". Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- "There can be multiple executive producers on a series, but the one in charge is called the showrunner". Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- "The executive producer usually chooses the musicians and technicians for a record, decides where and when to record, and the production budget and timetable". Archived from the original on 10 April 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- "Argent said Jay-Z's influence would be felt immediately in the game, starting during its video introduction. Jay-Z also handpicked the game's soundtrack". CNN. 1 August 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Jay-Z NBA 2K13: Rapper Announced As 'Executive Producer'". Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Executive Producer | Radio & Television Business Report". www.rbr.com. Archived from the original on 25 March 2018. Retrieved 25 March 2018.