From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|First issue||April 1979|
|Company||Mansueto Ventures LLC|
|Based in||New York City, New York, U.S.|
Inc. is an American business media property founded in 1979 and based in New York City. It publishes six print issues annually, as well as daily online articles and videos. Inc. also produces several live and virtual events yearly.
Published by Mansueto Ventures, Inc. is best known for its annual rankings of the fastest-growing privately held companies in the United States, called the "Inc. 500" and "Inc. 5000."
The magazine's print edition has a total audience of 1.4 million, and Inc.com receives 33 million monthly page views.
Inc. was founded in Boston by Bernie Goldhirsh, and its first issue appeared in April 1979. Goldhirsh was an MIT-trained mechanical engineer who founded Sail magazine, which he sold for $10 million in 1980. Paul W. Kellam, who had joined Goldhirsh's company as editor of Marine Business, was one of Inc.'s first editors. Goldhirsh kept a low profile, and George Gendron, who served as editor-in-chief from 1980 to 2002, was considered the "public face" of the magazine. In 2000, Goldhirsh sold the magazine to German publishing house Gruner + Jahr for a reported price of over $200 million. In 2005, Joe Mansueto, founder of investment research firm Morningstar Ventures, bought Inc. and another business title, Fast Company, for about $35 million, forming publishing company Mansueto Ventures.
Inc.'s office is at 7 World Trade Center in New York City. In December 2013, Eric Schurenberg was appointed president and editor-in-chief of Inc., replacing the long-tenured Bob LaPointe. In March 2018, Schurenberg was appointed CEO of Mansueto Ventures and Ledbetter was promoted to editor-in-chief of Inc.
Inc. produces a weekly, award-winning podcast called Inc. Uncensored, where Inc. journalists discuss startups, technology, market and industry trends, and more. The podcast has released hundreds of episodes, and won the 2016 and 2017 min's Best of the Web Awards for Best Podcast, along with a 2018 Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Award honorable mention.
Inc. received multiple Folio awards in 2017 and 2018, including honors for full-print issues, best redesign, use of video, and use of social media. Its 2016 feature "The Stealthy Sales Kings of Amazon" won a Best in Business award from the Society for Advancing Business Writing and Editing.
- ""Consumer Magazines"--Alliance for Audited Media". June 30, 2019. Archived from the original on September 17, 2019. Retrieved September 17, 2019.
- "Trends in the Market for Entrepreneurship Faculty, 1989-1998". ResearchGate. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- Delbridge, Emily (November 21, 2019). "The 8 Best Business Magazines of 2020". The Balance Small Business. New York City: Dotdash. Best for Startups: Inc. Retrieved February 8, 2020.
- "Entrepreneurship Education Chronology - eWeb: Entrepreneurship Education Resources by Jerome Katz". sites.google.com. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- "Do the Right Thing - Los Angeles Times". March 13, 2007. Archived from the original on March 13, 2007. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- "Boston Business Forward - August 2001 - Reversal of Misfortune". March 10, 2002. Archived from the original on March 10, 2002. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- "Editor Out at 'Inc.'". www.adweek.com. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- Ledbetter, Eric Schurenberg and James (March 16, 2018). "Inc. Welcomes New Design and New Leadership". Inc.com. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- "Inc. Turns 35 Under Editor Jim Ledbetter". Observer. October 2, 2014. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- Kelly, Keith J. (January 10, 2020). "Inc. magazine might have a future in TV".
- Isaacson, Walter (2011). Steve Jobs. New York: Simon & Schuster. pp. 106. ISBN 978-1451648539.
- Group, Greenleaf Book (September 10, 2019). "Book Distribution by Greenleaf Book Group". Greenleaf Book Group. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- "Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Awards 2018 Finalists Announced". Folio. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- "2016 Best in Business Honorees « SABEW". sabew.org. Retrieved September 11, 2019.