Murder in the First (TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Murder in the First|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||32 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original release||June 9, 2014 –|
September 4, 2016
Murder in the First is an American crime drama television series that originally aired on TNT. The series was created by Steven Bochco and Eric Lodal, and stars Taye Diggs and Kathleen Robertson. Set in San Francisco, the show follows a single case across an entire season. The series aired for three seasons from June 9, 2014 to September 4, 2016. This series was the last produced by Bochco before his death in 2018.
On October 11, 2016, TNT canceled the series after three seasons.
In the first season, Homicide Inspectors Terry English and Hildy Mulligan investigate two seemingly unrelated murders only to learn that both victims have ties to a Silicon Valley prodigy who is darker than anyone realizes.
In the second season, as San Francisco recovers from a school bus massacre, English and Mulligan investigate the death of a fellow officer and uncover a conspiracy that shakes the city to its core.
In the third season, English and Mulligan juggle investigating a football player's murder and dealing with their respective personal issues while District Attorney Mario Siletti reels from a tragedy that jeopardizes his career.
Cast and characters
- Taye Diggs as Inspector Terry English: a homicide inspector with the San Francisco Police Department who struggles to cope with his wife's death.
- Kathleen Robertson as Inspector Hildy Mulligan: English's partner and a single mother who juggles raising her daughter and doing her job.
- Ian Anthony Dale as Lieutenant Jim Koto: the squad's no-nonsense supervisor
- Raphael Sbarge as Inspector David Molk: a philosophizing SFPD homicide inspector
- Lombardo Boyar as Inspector Edgar Navarro: a dedicated SFPD homicide inspector, Molk's partner
- Currie Graham as Chief Prosecutor Mario Siletti
- Mimi Kirkland as Louise Mulligan: Hildy's inquisitive eleven-year-old daughter.
- Jamie McShane as Justin Burnside: a forensics technician from the Medical Examiner's office.
- Camille Balsamo as Kami Keefer: the homicide squad's technology expert who has a crush on Hildy Mulligan.
- Jamie Luner as Cassie Siletti, Mario Siletti's wife
- Season 1
- Tom Felton as Erich Blunt: a young Silicon Valley prodigy who is suspected by the SFPD of murdering his biological father and his latest personal mistress.
- Steven Weber as Bill Wilkerson: Blunt's long-time friend, chauffeur, and pilot whose marriage is put in jeopardy following Blunt's arrest.
- James Cromwell as Warren Daniels: a well-known yet unscrupulous criminal defense attorney who is hired to represent Blunt.
- Richard Schiff as David Hertzberg: Blunt's personal and corporate attorney.
- Bess Rous as Ivana West: the chief technology officer of Erich Blunt's company and one of his personal mistresses.
- Nicole Ari Parker as District Attorney Jacqueline Perez, who is having an affair with Jim Koto; she resigns when it becomes public.
- Peter Onorati as Jimmy Salter, a former police sergeant turned head of security of Blunt's company.
- Season 2
- Laila Robins as Jamie Nelson: a professor of law and a famous criminal defense attorney
- Emmanuelle Chriqui as Sergeant Raphaelle "Raffi" Veracruz: a gang unit and special operations officer who is a veteran of the Israeli Army
- A. J. Buckley as Inspector Marty "Junior" McCormack: a special operations officer and Hildy's brother, who transfers to Homicide from Vice
- Mo McRae as Anthony "Suger" Cascade: the kingpin of an African-American gang, dealing with the accidental death of a member of another gang during an unsanctioned warehouse heist.
- Marcus Hopson as Fatty B, Sugar's right-hand man.
- Mateus Ward as Dustin Maker: one of two high school boys participating in the bus shooting before being captured by the SFPD. He is later given the death penalty for his role in the crime.
- Jimmy Bennett as Alfie Rentman: the second boy participating in the shooting, who escapes capture but is later killed.
- Spencer Garrett as Dr. Frank Rentman: Alfie's father, a psychiatrist who diagnoses Alfie's mental illness.
- Laura Regan as Mary Rentman: Alfie's mother, who appears to be in denial about Alfie's mental state.
- Adam O'Byrne as Det. Kaleb Peat: a member of the squad and Walt Martins's partner, who commits suicide after Martin's funeral.
- Inny Clemons as Det. Walt Martin: a member of the squad, and Peat's partner, who is presumed to be shot by Alfie Rentman, but was actually shot by a cop.
- Jade Tailor as Alyssa: a stripper with whom Det. Molk becomes involved.
- Season 3
- Kim Delaney as Dr. Nancy Redman: Inspector Terry English therapist.
- Tiffany Dupont as Serena Parrish: A sports blogger with whom Lieutenant Jim Koto becomes involved.
- Michael Gaston as Alfred Arkin: Defended suspended DA Mario Siletti in his DUI trial.
- Sara Paxton as Alicia Barnes.
- Corey Reynolds as ADA Martin Reardon.
- Amanda Schull as Melissa Danson: She had affair with suspended DA Mario Siletti whom she also prosecuted.
- Robert Cicchini as Chief Charles Shannon.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||10||June 9, 2014||August 11, 2014|
|2||12||June 8, 2015||August 24, 2015|
|3||10||June 26, 2016||September 4, 2016|
TNT ordered 10 episodes on September 19, 2013, which premiered on June 9, 2014. On September 12, 2014, TNT renewed Murder in the First for a 12-episode second season, which began on June 8, 2015. On November 12, 2015, TNT renewed Murder in the First for a third season, which was set to premiere on June 19, 2016, but was pushed back to the following week due to the delayed third season premiere of The Last Ship.
Murder in the First scored 68 out of 100, in its first season, on Metacritic based on 20 "generally favorable" reviews. Its second season scored 67, based on four reviews. The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes currently reports a 73% "certified fresh" critics rating with an average rating of 6.8/10 based on 22 reviews. The website consensus reads: "Murder in the First fits happily into the over-arcing [sic] season-long murder mystery mold, offering pleasurably typical twists and natural, attention-grabbing characters".
|Name||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4||Discs|
|Murder in the First: The Complete First Season||May 12, 2015||N/A||N/A||3|
- The Deadline Team (September 19, 2013). "TNT Greenlights Steven Bochco's 'Murder in the First' for Summer 2014". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley (September 19, 2013). "Steven Bochco's 'Murder in the First' Gets Series Order at TNT". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Friedlander, Whitney (September 19, 2013). "Steven Bochco's 'Murder in the First' Greenlit at TNT". Variety. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- Neale, April (September 20, 2013). "TNT Greenlights New Steven Bochco Drama 'Murder in the First'". Monsters and Critics. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 11, 2016). "'Murder in the First' Canceled by TNT After 3 Seasons". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on October 12, 2016. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 14, 2014). "TNT to Roll Out 10 Original Series This Summer Including 'Falling Skies', 'The Last Ship', 'Legends' & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on March 14, 2014. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- "TNT Sets Summer Dates for Last Ship, Major Crimes, Jennifer Beals Drama, Falling Skies' Final Run and More". TV Line. April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 12, 2014). "'Murder in the First' Renewed for Second Season by TNT". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on September 13, 2014. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Porter, Rick (November 13, 2015). "'Murder in the First' renewed for Season 3 on TNT". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on November 14, 2015. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Petski, Denise (June 14, 2016). "'The Last Ship': TNT Sets New Premiere Date, Pushes 'Murder In The First' Debut". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "Murder in the First : Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Murder in the First : Season 2". Metacritic. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Murder in the First: Season 1 (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 14, 2014.