My Little Pony: Make Your Mark
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|My Little Pony: Make Your Mark|
|Based on||My Little Pony|
by Bonnie Zacherle & My Little Pony: A New Generation by Robert Cullen
|Developed by||Gillian Berrow|
|Directed by||Will Lau|
|Theme music composer|
|Opening theme||"Make Your Mark"|
|Country of origin|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080p|
|Original release||May 26, 2022 –|
My Little Pony: Make Your Mark is a computer-animated comedy streaming television series tied to the fifth incarnation (also referred to as the fifth generation or "G5") of Hasbro's My Little Pony toyline.
Set after the events of the film My Little Pony: A New Generation (2021), the series follows five ponies—Sunny Starscout (Jenna Warren), an idealistic earth pony; Izzy Moonbow (Ana Sani), a creative unicorn; Hitch Trailblazer (J.J. Gerber), a responsible earth pony; and sisters Zipp Storm (Maitreyi Ramakrishnan) and Pipp Petals (AJ Bridel), two pegasi princesses—on their adventures across Equestria.
Developed by Gillian Berrow for Netflix, the 44-minute special episode Make Your Mark premiered as a teaser on May 26, 2022, followed by the release of eight further episodes on September 26. The series is being animated by Atomic Cartoons, with its order of four 44-minute special episodes and twenty-three 22-minute episodes.
Many generations after Twilight Sparkle became the ruler of Equestria, Sunny Starscout, Izzy Moonbow, Hitch Trailblazer, and the sisters Pipp Petals and Zipp Storm—the "Mane Five"—live in Maretime Bay, after having brought back magic to the world. Sunny's home, the Crystal Brighthouse, now holds the Unity Crystals, special magical objects created by Twilight long ago. The three pony kinds—unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies—have been reunited, but still face some obstacles in living together and dealing with their newfound magic, especially the earth ponies' new ability to make plants instantly grow out of the ground.
Sunny and her friends go on adventures and live life, and their friendship grows as they learn to understand each other's differences and deal with various challenges. Meanwhile, the immortal alicorn Opaline, weakened and forgotten by the world, desires to take all the magic in Equestria for herself and rule the land. She sends her unicorn assistant Misty, who knows little about the world outside Opaline's castle, to spy on Sunny and her friends in furtherance of Opaline's plans as she promised to give Misty her own Cutie Mark, a symbol that appears on a ponies' flank when they discover their special talent. Misty is rarely successful, but sometimes finds herself enjoying life in Maretime Bay and begins to discover that the outside world is broader than Opaline has told her.
- Jenna Warren as Sunny Starscout,[A] a bright-eyed earth pony/alicorn who runs a smoothie stand in Maretime Bay and seeks to make the world a better place.
- J.J. Gerber as Hitch Trailblazer,[B] an earth pony with an affinity for critters who serves as the sheriff of Maretime Bay.
- Ana Sani as Izzy Moonbow,[C] a happy-go-lucky unicorn from Bridlewood who enjoys arts and crafts.
- AJ Bridel as Pipp Petals,[D] a pegasus princess from Zephyr Heights with a wide fan following and a pop star persona, and the owner of the Maretime Bay karaoke hair salon Mane Melody.
- Maitreyi Ramakrishnan as Zephyrina "Zipp" Storm,[E] a rebellious and inquisitive pegasus princess from Zephyr Heights and Pipp's older sister.
- Rob Tinkler as Sparky Sparkeroni, a baby dragon with chaotic, powerful magic who is adopted by Hitch.
- Athena Karkanis as Opaline, a menacing alicorn who seeks to control all of Equestria and its magic.
- Bahia Watson as Misty, a timid unicorn who was taken in by Opaline as a filly and serves as her assistant.
- Amanda Martinez as Queen Haven,[F] the ruler of Zephyr Heights and Pipp and Zipp's mother.
- Kimberly-Ann Truong as Posey Bloom, an earth pony who distrusted magic at first, but grew to like it after receiving earth pony magic.
- Samantha Bielanski as Jazz Hooves, an earth pony employed at Mane Melody as a manicurist and singer.
- Jonathan Tan as Rocky Riff, a pegasus employed at Mane Melody as a mane stylist and singer.
- Joshua Graham as Sprout,[G] the former deputy sheriff and one-time self-proclaimed emperor of Maretime Bay.
- Tara Strong as Twilight Sparkle, an alicorn who was the Princess of Friendship and the ruler of Equestria. She appears through a hologram in the Brighthouse.
- Elley-Ray Hennessy as Grandma Figgy, Hitch's grandmother.
- Andrew Jackson as Alphabittle Blossomforth,[H] a unicorn who runs the Crystal Tea Room in Bridlewood.
Chapter 1 (2022)
|Title||Written by||Original release date|
|1||1||"Make Your Mark"||Gillian Berrow||May 26, 2022|
|The three pony kinds now live together in harmony. However, earth ponies still lack magic, and some dislike the return of magic and find it unfair. Sunny struggles to control her alicorn transformation. During the Maretime Bay Day festival, glitches in the magic and the discontent of earth ponies compound on each other. A pegasus falls onto an earth pony. As the ponies argue, their discord causes a storm to brew; the pegasi and unicorns lose their magic powers, the earth ponies' hooves become stuck, and a void forms in the ground. Sunny is able to transform into an alicorn and flies into the void to rescue ponies who fell in, and the unicorns and pegasi help the earth ponies regain mobility. Their unity causes magic to restabilize; the earth ponies now have magic of their own, and can manipulate plants. Hitch discovers he can now communicate with animals, and the large egg he found hatches into a baby dragon, who he names Sparky. Queen Haven allows Zipp to stay in Maretime Bay to follow her own pursuits, instead of returning to Zephyr Heights for royal duties. Elsewhere, Opaline and Misty watch the festival continue as they mastermind their plot.|
Chapter 2 (2022)
|Title||Written by||Original release date|
|2||1||"Izzy Does It"||Jim Martin||September 26, 2022|
|Izzy makes a bracelet for Sunny as a birthday present, but Sunny decides to wear it as a mane decoration instead. At the Maretime Bay Craft Fair, Pipp makes a viral post about Sunny's new accessory. Izzy panics, unsure if she will be able to make more bracelets for the ponies that now want them. Pipp tells Izzy that she produces new works by making "the same thing, but better", and performs a new song. Both Izzy and Pipp then struggle with creative block. Misty spies on the Mane Five and plants an enchanted mirror as a "present" for Sunny. She informs Opaline of the presence of earth pony magic, and Opaline decides to begin their plan, reassuring her that when it is complete, she will finally earn her cutie mark. Traveling to Bridlewood for inspiration, Izzy comes across a rusty old motor scooter. She refurbishes it and adds a trailer to hold her crafting supplies, allowing her to move them out of the closet in the Crystal Brighthouse, which was cramping her style. When Sunny and her friends try out the mirror, Opaline discovers that the Brighthouse's magical protection prevents her from spying inside it. With newfound inspiration, Izzy produces a remixed version of Pipp's song.|
|3||2||"Growing Pains"||Julia Prescott||September 26, 2022|
|Sprout causes mayhem by accidentally growing a giant berry which rolls down the street. Hitch starts banning earth ponies from using plant magic, but this only causes the magic to build up and become uncontrollable. Hitch decides to separate the earth pony crystal from the unicorn and pegasus crystals, and an alarmed Sunny protests. The crystal judders energetically when Hitch touches it, and Hitch abandons the effort. When his friends reassure him that they will be able to resolve the problem, a pre-recorded hologram of Twilight Sparkle appears from the crystals, warning them that "evil forces" seek to manipulate and steal the magic of Equestria. Elsewhere, Opaline explains to Misty that she wants earth pony magic to grow more powerful, so that it will be even stronger when they take it for themselves. Hitch rescinds the ban, and the earth ponies learn to control their abilities. Sprout grows another giant berry, but this time Sunny and her friends use their magic together to grow a tree that stops the berry. Hitch remarks that Sparky seems unusually happy, having left Izzy to watch over him for the day. Izzy replies that she completely ignored Hitch's guidelines for Sparky's care, as a less restrictive approach worked better.|
|4||3||"Portrait of a Princess"||Janae Hall||September 26, 2022|
|On Royal Portrait Day, Zipp ignores Pipp's preparations and tries to focus on investigating Twilight's holographic message instead. Opaline overhears Zipp on Pipp's livestream. Queen Haven arrives at Mane Melody, and she and Pipp begin their facials, but Zipp wants an excuse to get out. The sisters sneak out and go to the beach after Misty sends them photos of a rare flower called an ocean lily: Pipp is interested in taking photos with it, and Zipp gets caught up in searching for it. Misty lures them into a cave using a petal trail, and the sisters are trapped by a rockfall. They continue arguing, but Zipp apologizes and admits she has been selfish. They sing their childhood Portrait Day song and reconcile; Pipp apologizes in return for being on her phone too much. Zipp finds an opening in the cave's ceiling, allowing Pipp to get a signal on her phone and seek help. Pipp's fans quickly come to help them escape, and they leave with an ocean lily. They arrive at Zephyr Heights late and dishevelled, but Queen Haven is pleased to see the flower, and they pose for their portrait. After Misty's failure, Opaline wants to intervene herself.|
|5||4||"Ali-Conned"||Kelly Lynne D'Angelo||September 26, 2022|
|Sunny skates into town to promote a cause: healthy eating. Everypony ignores her activism, but Sunny transforms into an alicorn while passionately talking. Ponies are suddenly interested in alicorn Sunny, and some now want to help her causes. Through the mirror, Opaline discovers Sunny's power, and she decides she wants Sunny on her side. Misty joins a group of popular influencers, the Filly Four, whose popularity distresses Pipp. They ask alicorn Sunny to hang out with them. Opaline, posing as Sunny's inner voice, tells her through the mirror that alicorns are special and that she should harness her alicorn power. Misty tells Sunny she deserves to be treated like royalty, but Sunny feels uncomfortable when actually given special treatment; and when she becomes an earth pony again, she becomes upset that the ponies apparently no longer care about her or her causes. Sunny's friends reveal to her the new community garden in front of the Brighthouse, built after they were inspired by her activism. Sunny theorizes that she only becomes an alicorn when "truly helping somepony". Pipp's chaotic videos filmed by Sparky have gone viral, and she too learns that others will like her for who she truly is.|
|6||5||"The Cutie Mark Mix-Up"||Jim Martin||September 26, 2022|
|On opening day, the visiting ponies in Sunny's new community garden disturb the nearby wildlife and trample plants. Distressed animals and birds rush into the Brighthouse; Hitch and the others have trouble controlling them. Amidst the commotion, Opaline conjures a magical mouse to spy inside. Sunny and Hitch, both frustrated, argue over whose job is tougher. Sparky magically causes their cutie marks—and personalities—to switch. Zipp notices that both of them are behaving strangely, and points out that their cutie marks are switched. Sunny and Hitch decide to do each other's jobs, and they each find out that their tasks are not as easy as they might seem: Hitch is unable to make good smoothies by strictly following the recipes, and the animals ignore Sunny when she talks to them. Zipp tells each of them that the other needs help; when they find each other, apologize and reaffirm their friendship, their cutie marks switch back. Opaline's mouse finds Sunny's lantern; its magical light matches that of the Unity Crystals. Sparky pounces on the mouse, and it disappears. Izzy, Zipp and Pipp build a "critter corner" in the Brighthouse for creatures to take refuge from the community garden's activity.|
|7||6||"The Traditional Unicorn Sleep-Over"||Julia Prescott||September 26, 2022|
|Izzy befriends Misty and invites her to a sleepover at the Crystal Brighthouse, planning a night filled with traditional Bridlewood activities. Opaline orders Misty to steal Sunny's lantern, believing that it holds the secret to restoring her magic. During the sleepover, Misty behaves strangely and shows no knowledge of Bridlewood culture, causing Zipp to become suspicious of her. Misty eventually flees the Brighthouse, crushing Izzy's spirits as she had hoped to spend the night remembering all the things she loves about Bridlewood. Based on her descriptions, Sunny and Pipp redecorate Izzy's section of the bedroom to evoke those pleasant memories, restoring her good cheer. Misty returns to the sleepover and secretly contacts Opaline to report on what she has learned, even though she has not found the lantern. Zipp wakes up and hears snippets of the conversation, heightening her suspicions.|
|8||7||"Hoof Done It?"||Janae Hall||September 26, 2022|
|Misty steals the lantern from the Brighthouse during the night, but has to bury it in the community garden in order to avoid being caught. The next day, Zipp begins searching for clues to its location and the thief. Pipp soon finds it, but decides to leave clues implicating her after she sees how much Zipp is enjoying her detective work. Zipp learns that Izzy borrowed the lantern to get tea leaves from the garden, then returned it to Sunny's nightstand. Misty flees after finding the lantern gone and being confronted by Zipp over her suspicious behavior. When Zipp corners her in Mane Melody and accuses her of the theft, Pipp returns the lantern and explains why she took it. She shows Zipp a song she has recorded about the search, and they stop Sunny from rallying all the ponies in Maretime Bay in an attempt to activate the lantern so it can be found. Angered by Misty's failure, Opaline decides to focus her efforts on Sparky instead.|
|9||8||"Have You Seen This Dragon?"||Kelly Lynne D'Angelo||September 26, 2022|
|Hitch finds Sparky missing and alerts his friends to help search for the dragon. Misty has kidnapped Sparky on Opaline's orders and is hiding with him in a closet of the Brighthouse. She tries to keep him under control, but he grows restless and rigs the closet with multiple booby traps to slow her down. Sunny and her friends split up to hunt for him in Maretime Bay, but they wind up interfering with each other's strategies until Pipp brings them together to sing a lullaby she wrote for him. Sparky's magically amplified responses lead the group back to the Brighthouse, where they find him unharmed. Misty avoids detection and returns to Opaline's castle with a wisp of Sparky's fire in a jar; it strengthens Opaline's magic, but she berates Misty for having failed to capture Sparky. Misty suffers an emotional breakdown due to Opaline's constant abuse toward her.|
Chapter 3 (2022)
|Title||Written by||Original release date|
|10||1||"Winter Wishday"||Dave Horwitz||November 21, 2022|
|During the first winter since the restoration of magic, Sunny wants to celebrate Winter Wishday with her friends, but she finds out they all have different conflicting plans. Using the Marestream, a flying recreational vehicle created by the magic of Sunny's lantern, the group travels to visit Hitch's grandmother, then to Bridlewood so Izzy can participate in the unicorns' Wishiehoof Festival, and then to Zephyr Heights so Pipp and Zipp can perform in the city's Wishentine concert. The trip is marred by snowfall that worsens into a blizzard, which Zipp realizes is due to repetition of a unicorn holiday greeting that is actually an ancient spell meant to cause snowstorm. Sunny and her friends return to Bridlewood so Izzy can teach the unicorns a spell to stop the blizzard, then reach the Crystal Brighthouse just in time to see the Wishing Star project their cutie marks into the night sky. Even though they have no gifts to exchange, Sunny is content to have had a chance to spend the holiday with her friends and share in their traditions.|
In 2019, when My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic concluded and "close[d] that chapter of Pony history", Hasbro began working on a fifth incarnation. To fit Generation Alpha's higher emotional intelligence, Entertainment One Vice President Emily Thompson stated more peer groups would be represented in the core cast. For example, the main character, Sunny Starscout, is "an activist working to make the pony world a better place." When development began, My Little Pony aimed to expand the namesake franchise's world rather than create a new one, unlike the previous incarnations. Like Friendship Is Magic, the series will be set in Equestria, the production team wanting to further explore the lore and worldbuilding established by the fourth incarnation. However, the fifth incarnation will be set in after the events of the fourth, focusing on different ponies and unexplored parts of Equestria. For Hasbro, this gave them the opportunity to include easter eggs to the previous incarnations.
In February 2021, it was revealed that a computer-animated series had been green-lit for release on Netflix in 2022, as a follow-up to the film My Little Pony: A New Generation. Atomic Cartoons stated in May 2021 that it would be producing the My Little Pony series, and its parent company Thunderbird Entertainment disclosed later that year that 27 episodes were in the Atomic Cartoons production pipeline.
After the release of My Little Pony: A New Generation on September 24, 2021, the title My Little Pony: Make Your Mark, as well as the amount of content planned for 2022, was revealed by Entertainment One in a press release on February 17, 2022.
The new voices of the five main ponies were also revealed by the new voice actors on social media on February 17, 2022. In interviews, Maitreyi Ramakrishnan (the voice of Zipp Storm) stated that she had been immediately "on board" with the project upon knowing it was My Little Pony, having previously been a fan of animation such as Pixar films and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
A 44-minute special, titled Make Your Mark, premiered on May 26, 2022, as a teaser. Chapter 2 of the series, featuring eight 22-minute episodes, was released on Netflix on September 26. To promote the series, the online game My Little Pony: Visit Maretime Bay was released on Roblox on September 29, 2022, and a "Visit Maretime Bay" ad campaign was created in partnership with the travel site Tripadvisor.
Another double-length special episode, Winter Wishday, was released on Netflix on November 21.
- ^ Sunny Starscout was previously voiced by Vanessa Hudgens in A New Generation.
- ^ Hitch Trailblazer was previously voiced by James Marsden in A New Generation.
- ^ Izzy Moonbow was previously voiced by Kimiko Glenn in A New Generation.
- ^ Pipp Petals was previously voiced by Sofia Carson in A New Generation.
- ^ Zipp Storm was previously voiced by Liza Koshy in A New Generation.
- ^ Queen Haven was previously voiced by Jane Krakowski in A New Generation.
- ^ Sprout was previously voiced by Ken Jeong in A New Generation.
- ^ Alphabittle was previously voiced by Phil LaMarr in A New Generation.
- ^ a b "Shows A—Z — My Little Pony G5 Series (Netflix)". The Futon Critic. Retrieved June 13, 2021.
- ^ a b c Milligan, Mercedes (February 17, 2022). "'My Little Pony' Gets a Double Helping of New Series & Specials in 2022". Animation Magazine. Retrieved February 18, 2022.
- ^ Zahed, Ramin (February 21, 2022). "Former Marvel Exec Cort Lane Joins eOne as VP of Original Content, Fashion Brands". Animation Magazine. Retrieved February 24, 2022.
- ^ My Little Pony Official (April 9, 2021). "My Little Pony 🔴 Generation 5 | New Characters: Pipp and Zipp Reveal! | MLP | G5 | The Movie". YouTube. Retrieved September 26, 2022.
- ^ a b c "MY LITTLE PONY TO "MAKE ITS MARK" IN 2022 WITH NEARLY 500 MINUTES OF NEW CONTENT ACROSS TWO SERIES AND TWO TV SPECIALS!". www.entertainmentone.com. Hasbro. February 17, 2022. Retrieved September 26, 2022.
- ^ a b "Thunderbird Entertainment Corporate Presentation" (PDF). Thunderbird Entertainment. June 4, 2021. p. 42. Retrieved September 26, 2022.
- ^ "Meet the New Generation, Meet the New Ponies". My Little Pony. Hasbro. July 1, 2021. Retrieved September 28, 2022.
- ^ a b Jenna Warren [@_JennaWarren] (February 17, 2022). "I cannot wait for you all to see #SunnyStarscout and the rest of the @MyLittlePony crew SHINE on @YouTube April 7th and @netflix May 26th!! #MyLittlePony #TellYourTale #MakeYourMark" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ a b JJ Gerber [@JonoJosh] (February 17, 2022). "Hey Everypony! Im super excited to let you know I'm playing Hitch! And that #MyLittlePony TELL YOUR TALE is coming weekly to YouTube starting April 7th and the #MyLittlePony MAKE YOUR MARK SPECIAL is launching on @Netflix May 26th 🌈 💖" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ a b Ana Sani [@AnaSani14] (February 17, 2022). "I am SO EXCITED to announce that I will be voicing the adorable Izzy Moonbow in the upcoming YouTube series MLP: Tell Your Tale and the @netflix series MLP: Make your Mark!!! What a DREAM! Truly honoured to be part of such an incredible universe. #mylittlepony" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ a b AJ Bridel [@AJBridel] (February 17, 2022). "✨Hey Everypony✨ I'm so excited to announce I will be joining the #MyLittlePony family as PIPP PETALS! #MyLittlePony TELL YOUR TALE is coming weekly to YouTube starting April 7th and the #MyLittlePonY MAKE YOUR MARK ✨SPECIAL is launching on @netflix May 26th 🌈 💖" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ a b Maitreyi Ramakrishnan [@Ramakrishnannn] (February 17, 2022). "childhood dreams are coming true!! get ready to hear my voice come out of one epic pegasus, Zipp Storm!!⚡️🌈 #mylittlepony #makeyourmark #tellyourtale" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ Ana Sani [@AnaSani14] (September 26, 2022). "It's here!!! You can now stream My Little Pony Make Your Mark on Netflix!!! Forever grateful to the entire MLP team. Featuring the amazing voice talents of: Pipp - @AJBridel Zipp - @ramakrishnannn Sunny - @_jennawarren Hitch - @jonojosh Sprout - @JDubGV t.co/KWSzeNm0k9" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ gillian berrow [@gmberrow] (September 26, 2022). "Yes, it is Tara!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ a b c Foster, Elizabeth (January 29, 2021). "My Little Pony rides high with new CP". Kidscreen. Retrieved June 11, 2021.
- ^ Risi, Craig (March 3, 2021). "'My Little Pony' reimagined in new Netflix series and movie". The Herald. Retrieved June 11, 2021.
- ^ "'My Little Pony' Heads to Netflix with New Animated Film & Series" (Press release). Hasbro. February 25, 2021. Retrieved June 11, 2021.
- ^ Polo, Susana (February 25, 2021). "My Little Pony's next generation is a CGI Netflix movie and cartoon series". Polygon. Retrieved June 11, 2021.
- ^ atomiccartoons [@atomiccartoons] (May 12, 2021). "Atomic Vancouver is looking for talented CG Groom Artists to join us on our new My Little Pony series! Apply online now: t.co/MBOLLB8Z7m #vancouverjobs t.co/mcrsOi2Tck" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ a b Nealy, Devin (May 26, 2022). "Exclusive Interview: "My Little Pony: Make Your Mark" star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan". Boing Boing. Retrieved September 26, 2022.
- ^ Radish, Christina (May 30, 2022). "Maitreyi Ramakrishnan on 'My Little Pony: Make Your Mark,' Being Part of a Timeless Property, and the End of 'Never Have I Ever'". Collider. Retrieved September 27, 2022.
- ^ Kiefer, Brittaney (September 29, 2022). "My Little Pony Gallops Into Roblox to Win New Fans". Adweek. Retrieved October 13, 2022.
- ^ Hasbro's MY LITTLE PONY (September 29, 2022). "My Little Pony Makes its Mark on the Metaverse". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved October 13, 2022.