NWA United States Television Championship
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|NWA United States Television Championship|
|Promotion||Capitol Wrestling Corporation (CWC)|
National Wrestling Alliance (NWA)
|Date established||1957 / 1958|
|Date retired||July 25, 1962|
The NWA United States Television Championship was a professional wrestling television championship owned and promoted by the Capitol Wrestling Corporation (CWC), the predecessor of WWE. The championship was either introduced in 1957 or 1958, making it the first singles championship introduced overall by the CWC and WWE.
Over the championship's five-year history, there have been nine reigns between five champions. Johnny Valentine was the inaugural champion, and also held the record for most reigns at five times. Valentine was also the last champion, after CWC abandoned the title.
|No.||Overall reign number|
|Reign||Reign number for the specific champion|
|Days||Number of days held|
|No.||Champion||Championship change||Reign statistics||Notes||Ref.|
|1||Johnny Valentine||1957 / 1958||House show||N/A[a]||1||N/A[b]||It is uncertain who Valentine defeated to become the inaugural champion. Sources suggested that Valentine won the title by a tournament, or by defeating Verne Gagne on 1958 in Chicago, IL.|||
|2||Don Joyce||March 10, 1959||House show||Baltimore, MD||1||28|||
|3||Johnny Valentine||April 7, 1959||House show||Baltimore, MD||2||458|||
|4||Don Curtis||July 8, 1960 |
|House show||N/A[a]||1||N/A[c]||Curtis won the championship sometime after May 29.|||
|5||Johnny Valentine||July 1960||House show||N/A[a]||3||15–45[d]|||
|6||Kurt Von Heidleberg||August 15, 1960||House show||Richmond, VA||1||38|||
|7||Johnny Valentine||September 22, 1960 |
|8||Crusher Lisowski||August 24, 1961 |
|House show||Philadelphia, PA||1||N/A[f]|||
|9||Johnny Valentine||September 28, 1961 |
|—||Deactivated||July 25, 1962||—||—||—||—||Johnny Valentine was the final champion after the CWC abandoned the title on July 25, 1962 without a formal announcement.|||
- ^ a b c d e The location of the championship change is either uncertain or has not been found documented.
- ^ The length of Johnny Valentine's 1st title reign is too uncertain to calculate.
- ^ The length of Don Curtis' title reign is too uncertain to calculate.
- ^ The exact date that Valentine won the championship is uncertain, meaning that his reign lasted between 15 and 45 days.
- ^ The length of Johnny Valentine's 4th title reign is too uncertain to calculate.
- ^ The length of The Lisowski's title reign is too uncertain to calculate.
- ^ The length of Valentine's 5h title reign is too uncertain to calculate.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k "United States Television Title - Capitol Wrestling". Wrestling-Titles. Retrieved February 7, 2023.
- ^ "NWA United States Television Title". WrestlingData.com. Retrieved March 13, 2023.
- ^ "NWA Capitol Wrestling". Cagematch.net. Retrieved March 13, 2023.
- ^ "NWA Capitol Wrestling TV". Cagematch.net. Retrieved March 13, 2023.