NXT UK TakeOver
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|NXT UK TakeOver|
|Last event||Blackpool II|
NXT UK TakeOver was a series of periodic United Kingdom professional wrestling events produced by WWE, an American professional wrestling promotion based in Connecticut. The events were produced exclusively for the promotion's NXT UK brand division, a sister brand of NXT based in the United Kingdom, and were livestreamed on the WWE Network. NXT UK TakeOver events served as the brand's counterpart to the main NXT brand's TakeOver shows.
Only three NXT UK TakeOver events were produced. A fourth was planned for 2020 and delayed to 2021 but ultimately canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic that began in mid-March 2020. In late 2021, the main NXT's TakeOver series was discontinued after NXT was rebranded as NXT 2.0. The NXT UK brand was dissolved in September 2022 for the relaunch of NXT Europe in 2023.
The first live WWE specials held in the United Kingdom were the United Kingdom Championship Tournament and United Kingdom Championship Special in 2017, and a second United Kingdom Championship Tournament in 2018. These events aired exclusively on the WWE Network. Soon after the establishment of the NXT UK brand in June 2018 followed by its own television program in October, the brand began hosting its own "TakeOver" events on the WWE Network—TakeOver was the name for the main NXT's periodic live specials. The first NXT UK TakeOver was TakeOver: Blackpool in January 2019.
Only one NXT UK TakeOver event had to be cancelled. TakeOver: Dublin was originally set to air live from the 3Arena in Dublin, Ireland on 26 April 2020 and would have been the first TakeOver held outside the United Kingdom. The event was initially rescheduled to 25 October 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which began affecting all of WWE's programming in mid-March that year. However, due to the ongoing pandemic, the event was rescheduled once again, this time to 20 June 2021. On 30 April, however, WWE confirmed that the event had been cancelled.
No further NXT UK TakeOver events were scheduled following the cancellation of TakeOver: Dublin. The main NXT's TakeOver series was also discontinued in late 2021. NXT UK was dissolved in September 2022 for the relaunch of NXT Europe in 2023.
|1||Blackpool||12 January 2019||Empress Ballroom||Blackpool, Lancashire, England||Pete Dunne (c) vs. Joe Coffey for the WWE United Kingdom Championship|||
|2||Cardiff||31 August 2019||Motorpoint Arena Cardiff||Cardiff, South Glamorgan, Wales||Walter (c) vs. Tyler Bate for the WWE United Kingdom Championship|||
|3||Blackpool II||12 January 2020||Empress Ballroom||Blackpool, Lancashire, England||Walter (c) vs. Joe Coffey for the WWE United Kingdom Championship|||
(c) – refers to the champion(s) heading into the match
- "UPDATED: WWE UK Championship Special to air on WWE Network on Friday with legend Jim Ross on commentary". Daily Mirror. May 15, 2017. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
The 90-minute show, starring the company's top UK and 205 Live cruiserweight talent, will feature action from tapings in Norwich on May 6 and 7
- "WWE United Kingdom Championship Special premiere today". WWE. May 19, 2017. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Rodger, James (January 11, 2019). "What time does NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool start? Full card, how to watch and the Midlands stars set to compete". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved August 27, 2019.
- Sean Rueter (April 7, 2018). "Triple H reveals WWE's UK Championship Tournament returns in June". Cageside Seats. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- Staff, WWE.com. "WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament at Royal Albert Hall". WWE. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
- "Tickets for the WWE U.K. Championship Tournament at Royal Albert Hall are available now". WWE. April 13, 2018. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- "NXT UK TakeOver". MotorpointArenaCardiff.co.uk. Archived from the original on June 8, 2019. Retrieved June 8, 2019.
- Lambert, Jeremy (April 30, 2021). "NXT UK TakeOver: Dublin Officially Canceled By WWE". Fightful. Retrieved May 1, 2021.
- Thomas, Jeremy (November 9, 2021). "UPDATED: NXT WarGames Set For December, Takeover Name Removed". 411mania. Retrieved November 15, 2021.
- Powell, Jason. "1/12 Powell's NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool live review – Rhea Ripley vs. Tony Storm for the NXT UK Women's Championship, Pete Dunne vs. Joe Coffey for the WWE UK Championship, Trent Seven and Tyler Bate vs. Zack Gibson and James Drake to become the first NXT UK Tag Champions". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved January 12, 2019.
- Johnson, Mike (June 1, 2019). "NXT UK TAKEOVER ANNOUNCED, AEW STAR RINGSIDE AT TAKEOVER: XXV". PWInsider. Retrieved June 1, 2019.
- "NXT UK set to return to The Empress Ballroom for TakeOver: Blackpool II on Sunday, Jan. 12". WWE. November 17, 2019. Retrieved November 16, 2019.