From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
24 January 1999
|Education||Pelita Harapan School|
Nicole Zefanya (born 24 January 1999), known professionally as NIKI, is an Indonesian singer, songwriter and record producer; she is currently based in the United States. She is signed with the record label 88rising.
Nicole Zefanya, born 24 January 1999, was raised in Jakarta, Indonesia. Her music is partly influenced by her mother, who listened to 1990s R&B like Destiny's Child and Aaliyah when she was young. She went to Pelita Harapan School from kindergarten to twelfth grade in Jakarta, Indonesia, Indonesia.
At 15, she was the opening act for Taylor Swift's The Red Tour in Jakarta after winning a competition arranged by Swift and the ice-cream brand Walls, called Ride to Fame. The gig became a catalyst for her YouTube channel, where she uploaded original songs and covers, gaining over 40,000 subscribers. She published two songs, Polaroid Boy and Anaheim, in 2016 and 2017 respectively, which can be found on Spotify under Nicole Zefanya.
In 2017, Zefanya moved to Nashville, Tennessee to study Music at Lipscomb University. She released two singles, “See U Never” and “I Like U”. under the American mass media company 88rising as an artist under their label. She released the song “Vintage” in May 2018 as the first single for her EP titled Zephyr.
Zefanya has stated that she tries to empower Asians and Asian Americans through her music. In the Head in The Clouds music festival, NIKI took a moment to address the 10,000-plus audience gathered in Los Angeles’ Historic State Park. “I just want to say, as an Asian female, I do not take this day and this stage for granted. My hope is that above everything else today, that you feel heard, you feel understood, but most of all that you feel represented." NIKI's mission is to empower young Asian artists under-represented in the American music industry.
After 88rising announced their collaboration with popular food festival 626 Night Market to curate a food section at Head in the Clouds, Zefanya made a special guest appearance with a meet-and-greet at the 626 Night Market event at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California on 11 August 2019.
In addition,, Nicole has a small participation in the final choirs of the remix of Midsummer Madness, entitled "Midsummer Madness 20" by the Venezuelan singer, graphic designer and producer, of Latin music, reggaeton, dancehall and moombahton, Daniel Alejandro Morales Reyes, better known as Danny Ocean. Also in this remix, Joji, AUGUST 08, Rich Brian & Higher Brothers participate.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|NIKI Acoustic Sessions: Head In The Clouds II|| |
|Wanna Take This Downtown?|| |
|"Awali Hari Dengan Cinta"||2014||Non-album single|
|"See You Never"|
|"I Like U"|
|"Say My Name"|
|"Dancing with the Devil"|
|"Warpaint"||Head in the Clouds|
|"Lowkey"||2019||Wanna Take This Downtown?|
|"Indigo"||Head in the Clouds II|
|"Shouldn't Couldn't Wouldn't"|
|"La La Lost You"|
|"Sugarplum Elegy"||Sugarplum Elegy|
|"Wide Open (Foreword)"|
|"If There's Nothing Left..."|
|"Little Prince" |
(Rich Brian featuring Niki)
- Taylor Swift – The Red Tour (Jakarta) (2014)
- Rich Brian – Australia & New Zealand Tour (2018)
- Halsey – Hopeless Fountain Kingdom Tour (Asia) (2018)
- Methanisa, Katyusha (29 September 2017). "Meet the Latest Indonesian R&B Singer Trying to Take Over the US". Vice. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- "SINDHÈN INTERVIEW: NIKI". 4 October 2017 – via YouTube.
- Harfenist, Ethan (14 November 2017). "We Talked to Indonesia's 'R&B Princess' NIKI About 'Going International,' and '90s Nostalgia". Vice. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- "Biography: Nicole 'NIKI' Zefanya of 88rising". Asia Pacific Times.net. 23 October 2019. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- Bartleet, Larry. "NIKI: "Name one Asian artist that's popping right now. I want to be the girl that sets that up"". NME. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "In The Studio with NIKI". milk.xyz. 1 January 2017. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "NIKI Reminisces About a Former Love in 'Vintage' Video: Premiere". Billboard. 2 May 2018. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "NIKI Opens Up About the Value of Creative Freedom and Pushing Past Her Anxieties". Popspoken. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- Morin, Natalie. "NIKI Wants Asians To Own Their Heritage". refinery29.com. Retrieved 31 October 2019.
- "Indonesian singer's mission to break America's bamboo ceiling". South China Morning Post. 5 July 2018. Retrieved 31 October 2019.
- "Jackson Wang, iKON, DPR Live, Dumbfoundead Join Head in the Clouds 2019 Festival: Exclusive". Billboard. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- Maher, Natalie (30 January 2018). "Rich Brian reveals track list for debut album 'Amen'". Billboard. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- Cung, Danie (5 June 2014). "Lautan Swifties di #REDTourJkt Taylor Swift di MEIS". Creative Disc. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- Newstead, Al (26 March 2018). "Rich Brian announces debut Australian tour". Triple J. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- Jones, Abby (26 March 2018). "Halsey Announces Final Installment of Hopeless Fountain Kingdom World Tour". Billboard. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Niki.|