From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Pantsdrunk (stylized as Päntsdrunk; Finnish: kalsarikännit, ⓘ) is a form of drinking culture, originating in Finland, in which the drinker consumes alcoholic drinks at home dressed in very little clothing, usually underwear, with no intention of going out. To a large extent, it is still considered a way of life in Finland, possibly related to the stereotyped lack of social contacts among Finns. The forced isolation of people in their own homes caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic created a global trend for this drinking habit.
In popular culture
Books guiding to the right method and philosophy for "pantsdrunking" have also been written, the most notable being Päntsdrunk (Kalsarikänni): The Finnish Path to Relaxation (Drinking at Home, Alone, in Your Underwear) written by Miska Rantanen, and published in 2018. The Australian brewery Two Birds Brewing launched a line of beers called Kalsarikännit in 2020.
The 2023 video game Alan Wake 2, created by Finnish developer Remedy Entertainment, includes several comedic in-game advertisements with two Finnish brothers Jaakko and Ilmo, one of which is for fictional beer called Ahma where pantsdrunk is used to advertise the beverage.
- Hillier, Bianca; Romero, María Elena (April 13, 2020). "Kalsarikännit: Drinking at home in your undies, like Finns". The World from PRX.
- Hines, Nickolaus (April 3, 2020). "It's Time To Embrace the Finnish Tradition of Drinking in Your Underwear". Matador Network.
Kalsarikännit Is the Finnish Cultural Tradition We Need During Coronavirus
- Brech, Anna (December 24, 2020). "The Finnish word for being drunk in underwear is perfect for now". Stylist.
This Finnish word for getting drunk home alone is a whole 2020 mood
- "What may happen after the coronavirus in Finland?". Reachinghot. May 5, 2020.
- Fitzmaurice, Rosie (June 4, 2018). "This new Scandi lifestyle trend involves drinking wine alone in your underwear and bingeing on Netflix — and its name is pretty fitting". Insider.
Päntsdrunk, the Latest Scandi Lifestyle Philosophy, Involves Drinking in Your Underwear
- Colagrossi, Mike (October 15, 2018). "'Pantsdrunk' and the Finnish art of relaxing". Big Think.
- Nagesh, Ashitha (June 6, 2018). "Forget hygge, let's all get päntsdrunk". BBC Three. BBC.
- Levine, Nick (June 3, 2018). "Is "Päntsdrunk" The New, Easier & Less Smug Hygge?". Refinery29.
What Is Pantsdrunk? Kalsarikanni Finland Lifestyle
- Kottke, Jason (October 10, 2018). "Pantsdrunk, the Finnish Art of Relaxation". kottke.org.
- "READY TO GET YOUR KALSARIKÄNNIT ON?". Two Birds Brewing. July 2, 2020. Retrieved 2023-02-09.
WHERE TO GET YOUR HANDS ON KALSARIKÄNNIT VANILLA & CACAO STOUT AND HAZY PALE
- "Australialaisen Kalsarikännit-oluen keksijät kertovat, miten nimeen päädyttiin – 'Se kolahti'" [The inventors of the Australian Kalsarikännit beer tell how the name came to be - 'It bumped']. isfi. July 3, 2020.
- "Australialaispanimo esitteli oluen, jolla on yllättävä nimi: 'Kalsarikännit' – kaimakalja löytyy myös Hollannista!" [The Australian brewery introduced a beer with a surprising name: 'Kalsarikännit' - its namesake can also be found in Holland!]. isfi. July 3, 2020.
- Rantanen, Miska (2018). Päntsdrunk (Kalsarikänni): The Finnish Path to Relaxation (Drinking at Home, Alone, in Your Underwear). HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-06-285590-9. OCLC 1040083232. Archived (Google Search) from the original on 2023-02-08.
- Rantanen, Miska (October 7, 2018). "How the Finnish lifestyle of getting drunk while wearing pants became the new hygge". The Guardian.
- Ferro, Shaunacy (October 10, 2018). "Kalsarikänni, or Getting Drunk in Your Underwear, Is Finland's Version of Hygge". Mental Floss.
- Swarbrick, Susan (January 26, 2019). "Bye hygge, so long coorie – let's get pantsdrunk". The Herald.