Peter K. Smith
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Peter K Smith
|Born||September 23, 1943|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford; University of Sheffield|
|Thesis||Social and play behaviour of preschool children (1971)|
|Institutions||Goldsmiths, University of London|
Professor Peter K Smith (born 23 September 1943) is a developmental psychologist with a particular interest in children’s social development.
Smith received his B.Sc at the University of Oxford and his Ph.D. from the University of Sheffield. Following his doctorate he continued at the University of Sheffield, obtaining a Personal Chair in 1991, before moving to Goldsmiths, University of London in 1995. There, he was Head of the Unit for School and Family Studies in the Department of Psychology from 1998 to 2011. He retired as Emeritus Professor of Psychology in 2011.
Smith has authored, co-authored or co-edited 28 books, and authored or co-authored 198 journal articles and 124 book chapters.
His general works in children’s development include the book Adolescence: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press, 2016)  and successive editions of the textbook (with Helen Cowie and Mark Blades) Understanding Children’s Development (Blackwells, 1988, 1991, 1998, 2002, 2011, 2015). He co-edited collection (with Craig Hart) the Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Childhood Social Development (Wiley-Blackwell, 2010). In 2015 he was awarded the William Thierry Preyer award for Excellence in Research on Human Development, by the European Society for Developmental Psychology.
He is known for his work on children’s play, and works include the edited collection (with Tony Pellegrini) The nature of play: Great apes and humans (Guilford, 2005), and the book Children and Play (Blackwell, 2010)
His most extensive research has been on bullying and violence in schools, where he has led a number of research projects. He was the Chair of the European Cooperation in Science and Technology Cyberbullying Action (COST ACTION IS0801) from 2008 to 2012, and was PI of a project Bullying, Cyberbullying, and Pupil Safety and Wellbeing, financed by the Indian-European Research Networking in the Social sciences initiative (2012-2015). He is currently co-PI of a project Comparative study of cyberbullying in Qatar and the UK: risk factors, impact on health and solutions, financed by the Qatar National Research Fund (2013-2016). Publications include the edited collections (with Debra Pepler and Ken Rigby) Bullying in Schools: How Successful can Interventions be? (Cambridge University Press, 2004); (with Qing Li and Donna Cross) Cyberbullying in the Global Playground: Research from International Perspectives (Wiley-Blackwell, 2012); (with Georges Steffgen) Cyberbullying through the new media: Findings from an international network (Psychology Press, 2013) and (with Keumjoo Kwak and Yuichi Toda) School bullying in different cultures: Eastern and western perspectives (Cambridge University Press, 2016). He is author of Understanding school bullying: Its nature and prevention strategies (Sage, 2014).
- "Unit for School and Family Studies". Goldsmiths, University of London. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Hansen, Ketil Lenert. "Bullying, cyberbullying and gender-bullying in a cross-national context - UiT". de.uit.no (in Norwegian Bokmål). The Artic University of Norway. Archived from the original on 27 April 2019. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Smith, Peter K. (2016). Adolescence: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199665563. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Smith, Peter K.; Cowie, Helen; Blades, Mark (2015). Understanding Children's Development. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781118772980. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Pellegrini, Anthony D.; Smith, Peter K. (2005). The Nature of Play: Great Apes and Humans. Guilford Press. ISBN 9781593851170. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Smith, Peter K. (2009). Children and Play: Understanding Children's Worlds. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781444310993. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "Cyberbullying: coping with negative and enhancing positive uses of new technologies, in relationships in educational settings". sites.google.com. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "Bullying, Cyberbullying, Pupil Safety and Well-Being". sites.google.com. Indian-European Research Networking. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Smith, Peter K.; Kwak, Keumjoo; Toda, Yuichi (2016). School Bullying in Different Cultures: Eastern and Western Perspectives. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781316546116. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Smith, Peter K. (2014). Understanding School Bullying: Its Nature and Prevention Strategies. SAGE. ISBN 9781473905436. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "Professor Peter Smith". Goldsmiths, University of London. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Official staff page at Goldsmiths College