Proof (2015 TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Created by||Rob Bragin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Production company||TNT Original Productions|
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)|
|Original release||June 16 –|
August 18, 2015
Proof is an American supernatural drama television series that aired on TNT from June 16 through August 18, 2015. The series starred Jennifer Beals, Matthew Modine, and Joe Morton. It was produced by TNT, with Kyra Sedgwick, series creator Rob Bragin, Tom Jacobson, Jill Littman, and Alex Graves serving as executive producers. On September 24, 2015, TNT canceled the series of Proof after one season.
Following the death of her teenage son, a legal separation from her husband, and a rift with her daughter, Dr. Carolyn Tyler is persuaded by Ivan Turing, a tech inventor and billionaire with cancer, to investigate supernatural cases of reincarnation, near-death experiences, and hauntings, in hopes of finding evidence that death is not final.
- Jennifer Beals as Dr. Carolyn "Cat" Tyler: a cardiac surgeon at Bay Vista Hospital in Seattle
- Matthew Modine as Ivan Turing: an inventor billionaire stricken with cancer
- David Sutcliffe as Dr. Leonard "Len" Barliss: Carolyn's ex-husband and a pediatric surgeon at Bay Vista
- Edi Gathegi as Dr. Zedan Badawi: a Kenyan intern at Bay Vista who assists Carolyn
- Joe Morton as Dr. Charles Richmond: a hospital administrator at Bay Vista
- Caroline Rose Kaplan as Janel Ramsey: Ivan's assistant
- Callum Blue as Peter Van Owen: a best-selling author who claims to be psychic
- Annie Thurman as Sophie Barliss: Carolyn and Len's teenage daughter
Proof received mixed reviews. Review aggregator site Metacritic gave the first season a "mixed or average" score of 59 out of 100, based on 11 critics' ratings. On another review aggregator site, Rotten Tomatoes, it held a 57% rating, based on 14 reviews, with an average score of 7.1/10. The Rotten Tomatoes consensus reads: "Proof's intriguing premise – and Jennifer Beals' strong starring performance – can't compensate for a lack of compelling stories."
Brian Lowry of Variety said the show is exploring the mysteries of the afterlife in uninspiring and banal ways. Keith Uhlich writing for The Hollywood Reporter said that on paper, the show "sounds like disaster," but it is revealed to be "a beguiling object."
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||US viewers|
|1||"Pilot"||Alex Graves||Rob Bragin||June 16, 2015||2.66|
|Carolyn Tyler is a strict cardiothoracic surgeon who, at times, brings people back from the brink of death. Ivan Turing, a terminally ill billionaire, offers her his $10 billion estate in exchange for evidence of what happens after death. He then recalls her most traumatic experiences: surviving a boat capsizing in Japan and the recent death of her teenage son. Carolyn then checks in on Lilly, a young girl in the hospital who spent five days in a coma. Lilly told her parents of spending those days in "the other place" and drew pictures of people she has never met before, including her grandfather. Later, Lilly undergoes surgery for a blood clot on her brain and, afterward when asked, tells Carolyn that "they" told her not to talk about the other place. Carolyn then commits to Ivan's research.|
|2||"Til' Death"||Alex Graves||Rob Bragin||June 23, 2015||2.18|
|When a young man claims he's seen the ghost of his recently deceased wife, Dr. Tyler and her team are brought in to investigate an increasingly bizarre case of loss, love and jealousy.|
|3||"Showdown"||Alex Graves||Alex Graves||June 30, 2015||2.06|
|Carolyn and her team investigate the case of an Iraq war vet who claims to have PTSD from a past life experience during the Korean War. Carolyn reconnects with a medical school colleague turned regression therapist.|
|4||"Redemption"||Peter Werner||Nick Thiel||July 7, 2015||2.09|
|A cop killer has a terrifying near-death experience in Dr. Tyler's OR. As Cat and her team investigate, they learn his horrible experience also might carry an important message from beyond.|
|5||"Memento Vivere"||Allison Anders||Lizzie Mickery||July 14, 2015||1.82|
|When a Jane Doe wakes up in the coma ward with no memory of who she is, Cat and her team are stunned to find that she has memories that belong to other deceased coma patients. Len and Sophie find a surprising connection to Will.|
|6||"Private Matters"||David Solomon||Jessica Grasl||July 21, 2015||1.83|
|Turing asks Carolyn to investigate the case of a programmer who died while using a cutting-edge technology that might have recorded images of his death. Zed makes a difficult decision about his future.|
|7||"St. Luke's"||Steve Robin||Jorge Zamacona||July 28, 2015||2.11|
|The team investigates a strange haunting at an old church. Carolyn gets an unexpected visit from her parents.|
|8||"Reborn"||Millicent Shelton||Logan Slakter||August 4, 2015||1.99|
|When a grieving mother claims she's found the reincarnation of her dead son in one of Carolyn's patients, a young piano prodigy, the lines between Carolyn's proof investigations and professional life begin to blur.|
|9||"Tsunami: Part One"||Steve Shill||Jessica Grasl & Beth Schacter||August 11, 2015||2.32|
|Carolyn begins to lose her grip on reality as she deals with a delicate heart transplant case. Turing plans a very dangerous trip.|
|10||"Tsunami: Part Two"||Nelson McCormick||Nick Thiel & Rob Bragin||August 18, 2015||2.12|
|Carolyn makes a devastating choice as her proof investigations, personal life and professional life all come to a dangerous head.|
- TNT (April 2, 2015). "TNT Unveils Summer Lineup, Featuring 10 Original Series" (Press release). The Futon Critic. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- Nellie Andreeva (24 September 2015). "'Proof' Cancelled After One Season on TNT - Deadline". Deadline Hollywood.
- Trevor Kimball (24 September 2015). ""Proof" TV show Cancelled by TNT no season two - TV Series Finale". TV Series Finale.
- Slezak, Michael (May 7, 2014). "TNT Orders to Series Jennifer Beals' Supernatural Medical Drama, Ed Burns' 1960s Police Drama". TVLine. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- "TNT Greenlights Supernatural Drama Proof, Starring Jennifer Beals" (Press release). Turner Broadcasting System. May 7, 2014. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- "Proof: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Proof: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- "TV Review: Proof". Variety. June 15, 2015. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- Uhlich, Keith (June 10, 2015). "Proof: TV Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 17, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' Tops Night + 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'SportsCenter' & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on June 18, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Metcalf, Mitch (June 24, 2015). "ShowBuzzDaily's Top 100 Tuesday Cable Originals (& Network Update): 6.23.2015". Showbuzz Daily. Archived from the original on June 25, 2015. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- Metcalf, Mitch (July 1, 2015). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 100 Tuesday Cable Originals (& Network Update): 6.30.2015". Showbuzz Daily. Archived from the original on July 2, 2015. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (July 8, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: Shark Week Wins Night, 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Chrisley Knows Best', 'Proof' & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on July 9, 2015. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (July 15, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Wins Night, 'Deadliest Catch', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'WWE Tough Enough' & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on July 16, 2015. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (July 22, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' Wins Night, 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Total Divas' & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on July 23, 2015. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 29, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' Wins Night, 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'Ink Master', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Pretty Little Liars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on July 31, 2015. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- Metcalf, Mitch (August 5, 2015). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 100 Tuesday Cable Originals (& Network Update): 8.4.2015". Showbuzz Daily. Archived from the original on August 7, 2015. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Metcalf, Mitch (August 12, 2015). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 100 Tuesday Cable Originals (& Network Update): 8.11.2015". Showbuzz Daily. Archived from the original on August 15, 2015. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (August 19, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' & 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Win Night, 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Total Divas' & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on August 22, 2015. Retrieved August 20, 2015.