Spellbound (upcoming film)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Directed by||Vicky Jenson|
|Music by||Alan Menken|
|Distributed by||Apple TV+|
Spellbound is an upcoming computer-animated musical fantasy film directed by Vicky Jenson from a screenplay by Linda Woolverton, Lauren Hynek and Elizabeth Martin with music composed by Alan Menken, who wrote the songs with longtime collaborator Glenn Slater. Produced by Skydance Animation, the film features the voices of Rachel Zegler, Nicole Kidman, Javier Bardem, John Lithgow, Jenifer Lewis, and Nathan Lane. Set in the world of magic known as Lumbria, the story follows Princess Ellian (Zegler), a young girl who must the break the spell that split her kingdom in two. The film is set to be on Apple TV+ with a planned release in 2023.
The project, entitled Split, was announced in July 2017, shortly after Skydance Animation was formed in March 2017, with Paramount Pictures scheduling distribution for 2019. The film subsequently underwent changes, such as release dates, with Jenson later announced as the director, and the film's title changed to The Unbreakable Spell, before eventually to its current title. Much of the main voice cast signed in June 2022, following Zegler's casting in April 2022. Production was done remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The story is set in a world of magic known as Lumbria where a young girl, Ellian, must break the spell that has split her kingdom in two.
- Rachel Zegler as Princess Ellian
- Nicole Kidman as Queen Ellsmere
- Javier Bardem as King Solon
- John Lithgow as Minister Bolinar
- Jenifer Lewis as Minister Nazara Prone
- Nathan Lane as The Oracle of the Sun
- André De Shields as The Oracle of the Moon
- Jordan Fisher as Callan
On March 16, 2017, Skydance Media formed a multi-year partnership with Madrid-based animation studio Ilion Animation Studios, forming an animation division called Skydance Animation. In July, it announced Split, in which Skydance Media CEO David Ellison revealed that Linda Woolverton was writing the film. It would be distributed by Paramount Pictures as part of their deal with Skydance Media and was given a release date for sometime in 2019. Following John Lasseter's hiring as CCO of Skydance Animation, then-chief of Paramount Animation Mirielle Soria announced that Paramount Animation would end its informal work with Skydance.
On April 2, 2020, composer Alan Menken revealed that he was working alongside John Lasseter on a project for the studio, which was later announced to be Split, which by then was renamed to The Unbreakable Spell before it became Spellbound. The film will be directed by Vicky Jenson, from a screenplay by Lauren Hyne, Elizabeth Martin and Woolverton, with songs by Menken and longtime collaborator Glenn Slater. In July 2020, it was announced that Spellbound was still going to be released by Paramount Pictures without the Paramount Animation brand until Apple TV+ acquired the distribution rights to it in December 2020 as part of a larger pact with Skydance Animation.
In April 2022, Rachel Zegler was cast as the lead character. In June, Nicole Kidman, Javier Bardem, John Lithgow, Nathan Lane, Jenifer Lewis, André De Shields, and Jordan Fisher were added to the cast.
On March 16, 2017, it was reported that the original release was intended to be in 2019. On December 16, 2020, Apple TV+ entered talks to take over the distribution rights to the films Luck and Spellbound.
- Giranda, Carolyn (May 20, 2020). "Alan Menken to Compose Original Songs and Score for Skydance Animation's 'Spellbound'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "John Lasseter's Second Act". The Hollywood Reporter. 27 July 2022.
- McNary, Dave (July 20, 2020). "Skydance Animation's 'Luck,' 'Spellbound' Scheduled for 2022 Release". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved July 20, 2020.
- McNary, Dave (March 16, 2017). "David Ellison's Skydance Launching Animation Division With Spain's Ilion". Variety. Retrieved October 21, 2022.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (March 16, 2017). "Skydance Launches Animation Studio With Spain-Based Ilion". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 20, 2021.
- Busch, Anita (July 31, 2017). "Skydance's Steps Big Into Animation: 'Split' And 'Luck' Coming From Top Notch Ani Filmmakers". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 21, 2022.
- Giardina, Carolyn (2019-01-14). "Paramount Animation Chief Says Her Team Won't Be Working With John Lasseter at Skydance". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2022-05-13.
- Young Artists of America (April 2, 2020). Talk Back with Alan Menken. Retrieved July 21, 2020 – via YouTube.
- McNary, Dave (July 20, 2020). "Skydance Animation's 'Luck,' 'Spellbound' Scheduled for 2022 Release". Variety. Retrieved July 13, 2022.
- "Apple Makes Big Animation Commitment with New Skydance Animation Deal". Collider. 2021-02-17. Retrieved 2022-07-13.
- Kroll, Justin (April 1, 2022). "Rachel Zegler to Voice Lead of Apple Original Films and Skydance Animation's 'Spellbound'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved April 1, 2022.
- Grobar, Matt (June 21, 2022). "Nicole Kidman, Javier Bardem, John Lithgow, Nathan Lane, Jenifer Lewis & More Board Animated Pic Spellbound From Apple & Skydance Animation". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 21 June 2022.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 8, 2020). "How Animated Pics Like 'Tom & Jerry', 'SpongeBob Movie', 'Sing 2', Skydance's 'Luck' & More Are Working Through The COVID-19 Crisis". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 25, 2020.
- Donnelly, Matt; Lang, Brent (December 16, 2020). "Skydance Animation in Talks to Move 'Luck,' 'Spellbound' to Apple (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved December 16, 2020.
- Donnelly, Matt (2021-02-17). "Apple and Skydance Animation Formally Announce Multi-Year Partnership". Variety. Retrieved 2022-01-23.
- "Skydance Animation Sets Licensing Pact with 'PAW Patrol' Creator Spin Master, Kicking off with Apple Original Film 'Spellbound'". 22 March 2022.