Spellbound (upcoming film)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Directed by||Vicky Jenson|
|Music by||Alan Menken|
|Distributed by||Apple TV+|
Spellbound (originally titled as The Unbreakable Spell) is an upcoming computer-animated musical fantasy film directed by Vicky Jenson from a screenplay by Linda Woolverton, Lauren Hynek and Elizabeth Martin. Produced by Skydance Animation, the film features the voices of Rachel Zegler, Nicole Kidman, Javier Bardem, John Lithgow, Jenifer Lewis, and Nathan Lane. Its music was composed by Alan Menken.
The story is set in a world of magic where a young girl must break the spell that has split her kingdom in two.
- Rachel Zegler as Princess Ellian
- Nicole Kidman as Queen Ellsmere
- Javier Bardem as King Solon
- John Lithgow as Minister Bolinar
- Jenifer Lewis as Minister Nazara Prone
- Nathan Lane as The Oracle of the Sun
- André De Shields as The Oracle of the Moon
- Jordan Fisher as Callan
On March 16, 2017, David Ellison revealed that Linda Woolverton was writing an animated movie for Skydance Animation. On April 2, 2020, composer Alan Menken revealed that he was working alongside John Lasseter on a project for the studio, which was later announced to be Spellbound. The film will be directed by Vicky Jenson, from a screenplay by Lauren Hyne, Elizabeth Martin and Woolverton, with songs by Menken and longtime collaborator Glenn Slater. Following Lasseter's hiring, then-chief of Paramount Animation Mirielle Soria announced that Paramount Animation would end its informal work with Skydance. Apple Original Films would replace Paramount as a production company on the film, with Apple TV+ distributing.
In April 2022, Rachel Zegler was cast as the lead character. In June, Nicole Kidman, Javier Bardem, John Lithgow, Nathan Lane, Jenifer Lewis, André De Shields, and Jordan Fisher were added to the cast.
On March 16, 2017, it was reported that the original release was intended to be in 2019. On December 16, 2020, Apple TV+ entered talks to take over the distribution rights to the films Luck and Spellbound.
- Giranda, Carolyn (May 20, 2020). "Alan Menken to Compose Original Songs and Score for Skydance Animation's 'Spellbound'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "John Lasseter's Second Act". The Hollywood Reporter. 27 July 2022.
- McNary, Dave (July 20, 2020). "Skydance Animation's 'Luck,' 'Spellbound' Scheduled for 2022 Release". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved July 20, 2020.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (March 16, 2017). "Skydance Launches Animation Studio With Spain-Based Ilion". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 20, 2021.
- Young Artists of America (April 2, 2020). Talk Back with Alan Menken. Retrieved July 21, 2020 – via YouTube.
- Giardina, Carolyn (2019-01-14). "Paramount Animation Chief Says Her Team Won't Be Working With John Lasseter at Skydance". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2022-05-13.
- Kroll, Justin (April 1, 2022). "Rachel Zegler to Voice Lead of Apple Original Films and Skydance Animation's 'Spellbound'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved April 1, 2022.
- Grobar, Matt (June 21, 2022). "Nicole Kidman, Javier Bardem, John Lithgow, Nathan Lane, Jenifer Lewis & More Board Animated Pic Spellbound From Apple & Skydance Animation". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 21 June 2022.
- Donnelly, Matt; Lang, Brent (December 16, 2020). "Skydance Animation in Talks to Move 'Luck,' 'Spellbound' to Apple (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved December 16, 2020.
- Donnelly, Matt (2021-02-17). "Apple and Skydance Animation Formally Announce Multi-Year Partnership". Variety. Retrieved 2022-01-23.
- "Skydance Animation Sets Licensing Pact with 'PAW Patrol' Creator Spin Master, Kicking off with Apple Original Film 'Spellbound'". 22 March 2022.