The Andy Warhol Diaries (TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|The Andy Warhol Diaries|
|Written by||Andrew Rossi|
|Directed by||Andrew Rossi|
|Narrated by||Bill Irwin and Andy Warhol's AI Voice using Resemble AI|
|Opening theme||"Nature Boy" by Nat King Cole|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Producer||Maya E. Rudolph|
|Running time||53–78 minutes|
|Distributor||Netflix Streaming Services|
|Original release||March 9, 2022|
The Andy Warhol Diaries is an American documentary streaming television limited series from writer, director Andrew Rossi, and executive producer Ryan Murphy, based on the 1989 non-fiction book of the same name by Andy Warhol, as edited by Pat Hackett. The series features the famed pop artist narrating his own diary entries through the employment of AI (voiced by Bill Irwin then morphed using Resemble AI). The series premiered on Netflix on March 9, 2022, consisting of six episodes.
Among those who were interviewed in the course of the series are Bob Colacello, Pat Hackett, Christopher Makos, Rob Lowe, Jerry Hall, Mariel Hemingway, Tony Shafrazi, Mary Boone, Vincent Fremont, Shelly Dunn Fremont, Jamie Wyeth, Glenn Ligon, Larry Gagosian, José Carlos Diaz, David LaChapelle, Wilfredo Rosado, Peter Wise, Donna De Salvo, Jay Johnson, Kenny Scharf, Alan Wanzenberg, Michael Chow, Patrick Moore, John Waters, Greg Tate, Julian Schnabel, Marc Balet, Lee Quinones, Donald Warhola, Futura 2000, Daniela Morera, Debbie Harry, Paige Powell, John Reinhold, Gigi Williams, Jay Gould, Jeffrey Deitch, Jessica Beck, Cornelia Guest, Madelyn Kaye, Lisa Birnbach, Fab 5 Freddy, Benjamin Liu, Lucy Sante, Tama Janowitz, Katy Dobbs, Whit Stillman, and Jane Holzer.
Warhol in 1976 via dictating entries on the phone commences to take stock of his life in great detail in a diary format. The series also follows his relationships with Paramount Communications executive Jon Gould, interior designer Jed Johnson, and fellow artist Jean-Michel Basquiat.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Original release date|
|1||"Smoke Signals"||Andrew Rossi||March 9, 2022|
|Traces Warhol's path from Pittsburgh into the New York City art scene.|
|2||"Shadows: Andy & Jed"||Andrew Rossi||March 9, 2022|
|Warhol takes on the role of portrait painter for the illustrious. Meanwhile, his Studio 54 haunting and partaking disrupts his relationship with live-in-boyfriend Jed Johnson.|
|3||"A Double Life: Andy & Jon"||Andrew Rossi||March 9, 2022|
|Warhol takes on modeling and early reality TV while he has a love affair with the not "out" young Paramount Pictures executive Jon Gould.|
|4||"Collab: Andy & Basquiat"||Andrew Rossi||March 9, 2022|
|Focuses on Warhol's artistic collaborations and personal relationship with Jean-Michel Basquiat amidst New York City's booming 1980s graffiti art scene.|
|5||"15 Minutes"||Andrew Rossi||March 9, 2022|
|Warhol enters prime time via Saturday Night Live and The Love Boat as his friendship with Basquiat sours.|
|6||"Loving the Alien"||Andrew Rossi||March 9, 2022|
|AIDS hits NYC, The Last Supper series, Warhol unexpectedly dies|
On Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds an approval rating of 96% based on 23 reviews, with an average rating of 8.2/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "Employing some risky stylistic flourishes that Andy Warhol himself might have approved of, these Diaries are a revelatory glimpse into the inner life of a purposefully unknowable artist." On Metacritic, the series has a weighted average score of 78 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Jack Seale of The Guardian described the series as "a startling biopic told with the artist's own words". Daniel D'Addario of Variety wrote that "the series both summons Warhol's affectless voice and insists on finding the intellect and emotion behind the coolly evaluating gaze".
Awards and nominations
|Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series||Ryan Murphy, Andrew Rossi, Josh Braun, Alexis Martin Woodall, |
Stanley Buchthal, Dan Braun, Stacey Reiss, and Maya E. Rudolph
|Outstanding Directing for a Documentary/Nonfiction Program||Andrew Rossi (for "Shadows: Andy & Jed")||Nominated|
|Outstanding Writing for a Nonfiction Programming||Nominated|
|Outstanding Cinematography for a Nonfiction Program||Wolfgang Held (for "Collab: Andy & Basquiat")||Nominated|
|Gotham Independent Film Awards||Breakthrough Nonfiction Series||The Andy Warhol Diaries||Nominated|||
|Hollywood Music in Media Awards||Original Song — Documentary Series - TV||Daniel Braun (for "So Afraid to Lose You")||Won|||
- "Hear an A.I.-Generated Andy Warhol 'Read' His Diary to You in New Documentary".
- Knight, Christopher (March 4, 2022). "Review: Netflix's 'The Andy Warhol Diaries' is a love story, not an art story — and that's why it works". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 10, 2022.
- Fienberg, Daniel (March 7, 2022). "'The Andy Warhol Diaries' Review: Ryan Murphy's Netflix Docuseries". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 8, 2022.
- Holub, Christian (February 23, 2022). "Hear an Andy Warhol A.I. voice narrate the trailer for new Netflix docuseries". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 8, 2022.
- D'Addario, Daniel (March 8, 2022). "'The Andy Warhol Diaries' Summons the Genius, and the Person, Behind the Image: TV Review". Variety. Retrieved March 8, 2022.
- Watercutter, Angela. "Why The Andy Warhol Diaries Recreated the Artist's Voice With AI". Wired.
- Tapp, Tom (February 23, 2022). "'The Andy Warhol Diaries' Trailer: First Look At Ryan Murphy's Six-Part Documentary Series For Netflix". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 28, 2022.
- Greer, Carlos (October 21, 2021). "Andy Warhol's Factory disciples up in arms over new Ryan Murphy doc". Page Six. Retrieved March 9, 2022.
- Fienberg, Daniel (March 7, 2022). "Netflix's 'The Andy Warhol Diaries': TV Review". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kinsella, Eileen (February 25, 2022). "Thanks to the Magic of A.I., Andy Warhol Will Narrate a New Netflix Documentary Series on His Life From Beyond the Grave". Artnet. Retrieved March 9, 2022.
- Waltz, Amanda (March 8, 2022). "The Andy Warhol Diaries looks at "intensely private" life of Pittsburgh-born pop artist". Pittsburgh City Paper. Retrieved March 9, 2022.
- Moran, Justin (March 3, 2022). "'The Andy Warhol Diaries' Spotlights the Pop Artist's Queer Love Story". Paper. Retrieved March 9, 2022.
- "The Andy Warhol Diaries". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved March 28, 2022.
- "The Andy Warhol Diaries – Season 1 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved March 28, 2022.
- Seale, Jack (March 9, 2022). "The Andy Warhol Diaries review – a startling biopic told with the artist's own words". The Guardian. Retrieved March 10, 2022.
- "The Andy Warhol Diaries". Emmys.com. Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. Retrieved July 12, 2022.
- Moreau, Jordan (July 12, 2022). "Emmys 2022: Complete Nominations List". Variety. Retrieved July 12, 2022.
- Lewis, Hilary (November 28, 2022). "'Everything Everywhere All at Once' Tops Gotham Awards; Full Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 28, 2022.
- Anderson, Erik (November 3, 2022). "'Black Panther,' 'Bros,' 'Everything Everywhere All at Once,' 'Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio' lead Hollywood Music in Media Awards (HMMA) nominations". AwardsWatch. Retrieved November 3, 2022.