From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
(2017, 2019, 2021–present)
WWE Fastlane is a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) and WWE Network event produced by WWE, a professional wrestling promotion based in Connecticut. The event was established in 2015 and replaced Elimination Chamber in the February slot of WWE's pay-per-view calendar; Elimination Chamber was pushed back to May that year. The name of the event is a reference to its position on the "Road to WrestleMania," being held in the two-month period between the Royal Rumble and WWE's flagship event.
Beginning in 2017, the event moved to March, which made it WWE's first non-WrestleMania PPV to be held in March. With the reintroduction of the brand extension, Fastlane was Raw-exclusive in 2017 and SmackDown-exclusive in 2018 before WWE discontinued brand-exclusive PPVs following WrestleMania 34 that year. The event was produced annually until 2020 when Fastlane was removed from the schedule to allow WWE to hold that year's Super ShowDown PPV; however, Fastlane was reinstated in 2021.
WWE first held Fastlane on February 22, 2015, and it was broadcast live on pay-per-view (PPV) and the WWE Network. For the 2015 calendar year, it replaced Elimination Chamber, which had been held in February from 2010 to 2014; Elimination Chamber was in turn held in May 2015. The name "Fastlane" was chosen as a reference to its position on the "Road to WrestleMania," being held in the two-month period between the Royal Rumble and WWE's flagship event.
The event returned in 2016, also in February, thus establishing Fastlane as an annual PPV for the promotion. In 2017, Fastlane was moved to March, with Elimination Chamber returning to its original February slot, which made Fastlane the first non-WrestleMania PPV to be held in March. The 2017 event was also held as a Raw-exclusive show, following the reintroduction of the WWE brand extension in mid-2016 where the promotion again split its roster into brands where wrestlers exclusively perform. The 2018 event was then made a SmackDown-exclusive PPV, but this would be the final brand-exclusive PPV, as following WrestleMania 34 that year, brand-exclusive PPVs were discontinued. In 2020, Fastlane was removed from the schedule to allow WWE to hold that year's Super ShowDown PPV; however, Fastlane was reinstated in 2021. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 event was held in the WWE ThunderDome bio-secure bubble at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. The 2021 event was the first WWE event to air on Peacock's WWE Network channel in the United States, following the merger of the American WWE Network under Peacock on March 18 that year.
Dates and venues
|Raw-branded event||SmackDown-branded event|
- Caldwell, James. "WWE NEWS: February PPV gets a new title (w/Poll)". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- Paglino, Nick. "WWE Announces Date and Location for 2016 Fastlane PPV". Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- Taylor, Scott. "Get WWE Fastlane 2017 tickets this Friday". WWE. Retrieved January 31, 2017.
- Chiari, Mike. "WWE 2018 PPV Schedule Released; Money in the Bank Includes Raw and SmackDown". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- WWE.com Staff (February 17, 2018). "WWE pay-per-views just got bigger for 2018!". WWE.com. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- Toro, Carlos. "WWE Announces Super ShowDown Pay-Per-View For February 27 In Saudi Arabia". Fightful. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- Johnson, Mike (17 January 2021). "WWE FAST LANE PPV UPDATE". PWInsider. Archived from the original on 17 January 2021. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- WWE.com Staff (March 8, 2021). "WWE Network to launch on Peacock March 18". WWE. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
- "NOVEMBER 26, 2018 OBSERVER NEWSLETTER: SURVIVOR SERIES REVIEW, TONS MORE". F4W Online. Retrieved November 23, 2018.