From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Promotion(s)||World Wrestling Entertainment|
WWE Insurrextion was an annual professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event that ran from 2000 to 2003 by the Connecticut-based professional wrestling promotion World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). The first three events were held when the promotion was still called the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), with the final event being held under the WWE name, after the promotion was renamed from WWF to WWE in 2002. The events were held exclusively for the United Kingdom. Insurrextion was also aired on Viewers Choice pay-per-view in Canada, while the 2002 and 2003 editions also aired in the United States on tape delay as part of WWE Fanatic Series, a pay-per-view "best of" program.
To coincide with the brand extension, the events in 2002 and 2003 were Raw-exclusive shows. After the 2003 show, all-UK exclusive pay-per-view shows were stopped as WWE started to broadcast Raw and SmackDown from the UK in 2004. Triple H was featured in the main event of all four editions of the event.
Insurrextion was first held on May 6, 2000 at the Earls Court in London by the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), replacing No Mercy (held in May 1999), which became the name for the United States-based PPV held every October. Like Rebellion, Insurrextion was established as a series of annual pay-per-views to be held exclusively in the United Kingdom. The 2002 event was the promotion's final PPV event held under the WWF name, as just two days after the event, the promotion was renamed to World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), with the 2003 event being the only Insurrextion held under the WWE name. The 2003 event was the final Insurrextion as all-UK exclusive pay-per-view shows were stopped as WWE started to broadcast Raw and SmackDown from the UK in 2004. To coincide with the brand extension introduced in March 2002, in which the promotion divided its roster into two separate brands, Raw and SmackDown!, where wrestlers exclusively performed, the 2002 and 2003 events were held exclusively for the Raw brand.
Dates and venues
|1||Insurrextion (2000)||May 6, 2000||London, England||Earls Court||The Rock (c) vs. Shane McMahon vs. Triple H in a triple threat match for the WWF Championship|||
|2||Insurrextion (2001)||May 5, 2001||London, England||Earls Court||The Two Man Power Trip (Stone Cold Steve Austin (c) and Triple H) vs. The Undertaker in a Handicap match for the WWF Championship|||
|3||Insurrextion (2002)||May 4, 2002||London, England||Wembley Arena||Triple H vs. The Undertaker|||
|4||Insurrextion (2003)||June 7, 2003||Newcastle, England||Telewest Arena||Triple H (c) vs. Kevin Nash in a Street Fight match for the World Heavyweight Championship|||
(c) – refers to the champion(s) heading into the match
- "WWF Insurrextion 2000 « Events Database « CAGEMATCH - The Internet Wrestling Database". www.cagematch.net. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "WWF Insurrextion 2002 « Events Database « CAGEMATCH - The Internet Wrestling Database". www.cagematch.net. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "World Wrestling Federation Entertainment Drops The "F" To Emphasize the "E" for Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on January 19, 2009. Retrieved August 28, 2008.
- "WWE Insurrextion 2003 « Events Database « CAGEMATCH - The Internet Wrestling Database". www.cagematch.net. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "WWE Entertainment To Make RAW and SMACKDOWN Distinct Television Brands" (Press release). WWE. March 27, 2002. Archived from the original on April 17, 2010. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "WWF Insurrextion 2001 « Events Database « CAGEMATCH - The Internet Wrestling Database". www.cagematch.net. Retrieved April 18, 2018.