WWE One Night Stand
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|One Night Stand|
|Promotion(s)||World Wrestling Entertainment|
|Event gimmick||Hardcore wrestling|
WWE One Night Stand was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event, produced every June by WWE, a professional wrestling promotion based in Connecticut. The event was created in 2005, with its inaugural event taking place in June of that year. The event's name refers to its original format, that being a one night reunion show for former Extreme Championship Wrestling alumni. The first two shows were promoted under the ECW acronym; this however was changed for the 2007 and 2008 events. As WWE launched their own version of ECW in 2006, these two shows were promoted under the WWE acronym. The final event under the One Night Stand name was in 2008 before being renamed to Extreme Rules in 2009. This event was noted by WWE to be a direct continuation of the One Night Stand chronology. However, the 2010 event was later promoted as only the second event under a new chronology, one that is no longer a direct continuation of the One Night Stand event.
One Night Stand was a pay-per-view (PPV) event consisting of a main event and undercard that featured championship matches and other various matches, more specifically hardcore matches. The event was first announced in 2005, just as WWE released The Rise and Fall of ECW DVD, although Paul Heyman, Rob Van Dam, and Tommy Dreamer all assisted in having the concept approved by the WWE board. For the first two shows, the event remained strictly to the reunion format and was promoted under the ECW acronym; however, after WWE launched their own version of ECW (from 2006 until 2010) as a brand extension to Raw and SmackDown, the 2007 event and onwards was promoted under the WWE acronym and was added to the regular lineup of annual WWE pay-per-view events.
Each One Night Stand event has been held in an indoor arena, with all four events taking place in the United States.
Dates and venues
June 12, 2005
|The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray Dudley and D-Von Dudley) vs. Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman|
June 11, 2006
New York, New York
|John Cena (c) vs. Rob Van Dam in an Extreme Rules match for the WWE Championship|
June 3, 2007
|John Cena (c) vs. The Great Khali in a Pinfalls Count Anywhere match for the WWE Championship|
June 1, 2008
|Edge vs. The Undertaker in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match for the vacant World Heavyweight Championship. If The Undertaker loses, he must leave the WWE|
(c) – refers to the champion(s) heading into the match
- "WWE Launches ECW As Third Brand".
- "WWE Extreme Rules History". World Wrestling Entertainment. 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- Allen, Ryan (2005-02-24). "Tommy Dreamer put in charge of ECW "One Night Stand" Pay Per View". WrestleView. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Allen, Ryan (2005-02-25). "Dreamer contacts 2 more former ECW stars for One Night Stand PPV..." WrestleView. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Martin, Adam (2005-03-07). "ECW event rivalry note, WWE contacts TNA about talent + Joey Styles". WrestleView. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Martin, Adam (2005-03-07). "Update on Brock Lesnar & WWE lawsuit, Paul Heyman/ECW PPV, more". WrestleView. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- MacKinder, Matt (2007-06-04). "One Night Stand a PPV gong show". SLAM! Sports. Retrieved 2007-10-09.