WWE One Night Stand
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|WWE One Night Stand|
|Other name(s)||ECW One Night Stand (2005–2006)|
|Promotion(s)||World Wrestling Entertainment|
|Event gimmick||Hardcore wrestling|
WWE One Night Stand was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event, produced every June by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), a professional wrestling promotion based in Connecticut. The event was created in 2005 and its name refers to its original format, that being a one-night reunion show for Extreme Championship Wrestling alumni. The first two shows were promoted under the ECW acronym; this, however, was changed for the 2007 and 2008 events. As WWE launched their own version of ECW in 2006 as a third brand alongside Raw and SmackDown, these two shows were promoted under the WWE acronym. The final event under the One Night Stand name was in 2008 before being renamed to Extreme Rules in 2009. The 2009 Extreme Rules was noted by WWE to be a direct continuation of the One Night Stand chronology; however, the 2010 event was later promoted as only the second event under a new Extreme Rules chronology, one that is no longer a direct continuation of the One Night Stand event.
One Night Stand was a pay-per-view (PPV) event consisting of a main event and undercard that featured championship matches and other various matches, more specifically hardcore matches. The event was first announced in 2005, just as World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) released The Rise and Fall of ECW DVD, although Paul Heyman, Rob Van Dam, and Tommy Dreamer all assisted in having the concept approved by WWE. For the first two shows, the event remained strictly to the reunion format and was promoted under the Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) acronym; however, after WWE launched their own version of ECW (from 2006 until 2010) as a third brand alongside Raw and SmackDown, the 2007 event and onwards was promoted under the WWE acronym and was added to the regular lineup of annual WWE pay-per-view events.
In 2009, One Night Stand was renamed as Extreme Rules. The 2009 Extreme Rules was noted by WWE to be a direct continuation of the One Night Stand chronology; however, the 2010 event was later promoted as only the second event under a new Extreme Rules chronology, one that is no longer a direct continuation of the One Night Stand event.
Dates and venues
|1||ECW One Night Stand (2005)||June 12, 2005||New York, New York||Hammerstein Ballroom||The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray Dudley and D-Von Dudley) vs. Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman|||
|2||ECW One Night Stand (2006)||June 11, 2006||New York, New York||Hammerstein Ballroom||John Cena (c) vs. Rob Van Dam in an Extreme Rules match for the WWE Championship |
This was Rob Van Dam's Money in the Bank cash-in match.
|3||One Night Stand (2007)||June 3, 2007||Jacksonville, Florida||Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena||John Cena (c) vs. The Great Khali in a Falls Count Anywhere match for the WWE Championship|||
|4||One Night Stand (2008)||June 1, 2008||San Diego, California||San Diego Sports Arena||Edge vs. The Undertaker in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match for the vacant World Heavyweight Championship where if Undertaker lost, he would leave WWE|||
(c) – refers to the champion(s) heading into the match
- Allen, Ryan (2005-02-24). "Tommy Dreamer put in charge of ECW "One Night Stand" Pay Per View". WrestleView. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Allen, Ryan (2005-02-25). "Dreamer contacts 2 more former ECW stars for One Night Stand PPV..." WrestleView. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Martin, Adam (2005-03-07). "ECW event rivalry note, WWE contacts TNA about talent + Joey Styles". WrestleView. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Martin, Adam (2005-03-07). "Update on Brock Lesnar & WWE lawsuit, Paul Heyman/ECW PPV, more". WrestleView. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- "WWE Launches ECW As Third Brand".
- MacKinder, Matt (2007-06-04). "One Night Stand a PPV gong show". SLAM! Sports. Retrieved 2007-10-09.
- "One Night Stand 2008 Results". Pro Wrestling History. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- "WWE Extreme Rules History". World Wrestling Entertainment. 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- Martin, Adam (March 12, 2005). "Dish Network magazine publicly confirms "ECW One Night Stand" PPV". WrestleView. Retrieved September 18, 2007.
- Madigan, TJ (2006-04-29). "WWE love affair with ECW to continue". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 2007-09-24.