Wikipedia talk:WikiProject COVID-19
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Main||Talk||Task forces||Alerts||News||Tips||Sources||Sources list||Missing topics||Messages||Assessment||Portal|
|This is the talk page for discussing WikiProject COVID-19 and anything related to its purposes and tasks. |
|Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15Auto-archiving period: 30 days|
|Start a new discussion thread|
|The Arbitration Committee has authorized uninvolved administrators to impose discretionary sanctions on users who edit pages related to COVID-19, broadly construed, including this page.|
Provided the awareness criteria are met, discretionary sanctions may be used against editors who repeatedly or seriously fail to adhere to the purpose of Wikipedia, any expected standards of behaviour, or any normal editorial process.
|This page is of interest to multiple WikiProjects.|
Highlighted open discussions
- Talk:COVID-19 pandemic § Highlighted open discussions
- Template talk:COVID-19 pandemic data § Highlighted open discussions
Greece is not out of lockdown, but it's not true. There is a total lockdown since 07.11.2020, movement only with a permit only, curfew, closed restaurants and etc. Take a look please: https://greekreporter.com/2021/03/19/greece-to-loosen-covid-19-restrictions-make-rapid-tests-available-to-all/?fbclid=IwAR10xtt-aJWFsrl_aIyMQrqwNI-bZFfJisQvdiQ8grdFDk35v62ZQrPBHTY and: https://www.varnavas.gr/en/newsroom/lockdown-movement-permit/
Requested move at Talk:COVID-19 lockdown in Italy#Requested move 7 October 2021
There is a requested move discussion at Talk:COVID-19 lockdown in Italy#Requested move 7 October 2021 that may be of interest to members of this WikiProject. VR talk 03:22, 2 November 2021 (UTC)
Vaccine passports during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Include list of Vaccine passport apps by country or province? ... 0mtwb9gd5wx (talk) 20:01, 24 November 2021 (UTC)
WikiProject Current Events Long COVID-19 Article List
As part of a restructuring of the Current Events WikiProject, a very long list of every COVID-19 article is being constructed since every COVID-19 related article is a current event. Please feel free to help expand the list being created. Elijahandskip (talk) 17:46, 5 November 2021 (UTC)
Seven days incidence
Seven days incidence is now available as changetype "w" in medical cases chart module. I'd prefer it to absolute or precentage type as depicting the current epidemic situation much better and making for comparabilty between countries charts. Please consider changetype "w" for all national uses of the medical cases chart module. -- Kohraa Mondel (talk) 19:48, 7 November 2021 (UTC)
Dr. Vin Gupta/NBC & MSNBC Medical Analyst AfC
Dear Members of the WikiProject COVID-19 section,
Im hopeful you'd be willing to provide an additional review for a new AfC for Dr. Vin Gupta, NBC News's prominent COVID-19 medical analyst, who's been on national media platforms speaking about this virus hundreds of times at this point. I created an AfC to address a key gap on wikipedia, since "Dr. Vin Gupta wikipedia" is a frequent search engine query when you type his name and viewers should be aware of his background, given his reach.
Thank you in advance. Link here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Vin_Gupta
- @Caroline grossman23. Hey there. I'll take a look if you reply here with links to the three best sources. WP:GNG passing sources need to have several paragraphs speaking about Gupta biographically and in detail, and need to be reliable sources such as newspapers or books. Passing mentions, or being primary about a topic rather than primary about Gupta will probably not be sufficient. Thanks. –Novem Linguae (talk) 21:42, 20 November 2021 (UTC)
- @Novem Linguae. Absolutely. Thank you.
Top three sources: 1. Seattle Times Profile in 2020: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/350-tv-spots-and-counting-uws-dr-vin-gupta-delivers-coronavirus-expertise-to-the-nation/ 2. Stat News Profile in 2021: https://www.statnews.com/2021/06/14/vin-gupta-amazon-chief-medical-officer-profile/ 3. CNBC profile: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/08/amazon-hires-vin-gupta-pulmonary-doctor-and-public-health-expert.html
Several other top ones highlighting him on NPR, Washington Post, NBC, MSNBC, etc but too many to include -- cited many of them in the piece itself. Thanks again! Should note that I also included briefer mentions of Gupta in Politico and other sources as being shortlisted for Biden's Surgeon General on the back of his covid-related commentary -- which only adds to his notability.
- From a quick check the guy seems notable and refreshingly free of COVID controversies. For me the only question is whether Caroline grossman23 has a WP:COI to declare. Alexbrn (talk) 06:25, 21 November 2021 (UTC)
- @Caroline grossman23. It's close but not a clear WP:GNG pass. Better leave it in the queue and let one of our experts that work the back of the queue take a look. Specifically, source #1 is probably a pass but could be argued it has too many quotes so not independent. Source #2 was paywalled so I couldn't evaluate it, but looks promising. Source #3 may not meet the WP:SIGCOV threshold because it talks so much about Amazon and not about Gupta specifically, and I also have concerns about it not going in depth enough about him, just stating some easily googled facts about him. –Novem Linguae (talk) 06:29, 21 November 2021 (UTC)
"COVID-19 pandemic" "exposure notification" OR "contact tracing"
- "COVID-19 pandemic" "exposure notification" OR "contact tracing"
- COVID Alert
- NHS COVID-19
- Covid Watch
- Decentralized Privacy-Preserving Proximity Tracing
- TCN Protocol
- Exposure Notification
- COVID-19 apps
- Category:Software associated with the COVID-19 pandemic
The article Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, which is within the scope of this project, hasn't been updated with new absolute figures for the USA since early July, 2020, nor are there any updates on the "suspected" cases outside of the USA much more up to date or, as regards the article, were ever followed up on whether those "suspected" cases outside of the USA could be confirmed. Close to 350 confirmed cases were *RANDOMLY* (as opposed to the systematic mass-screenings done for acute infection with COVID-19) found in the USA within the course of only two months in spring, 2020, and then the article just pretty much stopped counting in early July, 2020.
Also, all those figures are buried way deep in the article, where nobody would even suspect them, and the only figure named prominently in the article is the low risk of dying from MIS-C immediately, although the condition itself causes more than enough suffering and intensive care even if they don't immediately die from it. --2003:EF:1704:7257:A562:1B77:6B93:20CE (talk) 08:13, 27 November 2021 (UTC)
New identifiers for virus clades
I have found some new identifiers for SARS-CoV-2 variants here: https://www.who.int/en/activities/tracking-SARS-CoV-2-variants/ The GISAID clade identifier for Omicron is GR/484A, and the Nextstrain clade identifier is 21K.
I have now created the property proposals Wikidata:Property proposal/GISAID identifier and Wikidata:Property proposal/Nextstrain identifier on Wikidata, to contain this information on the Wikidata entities for this and other relevant articles. If anyone would like to join the conversation there, that would be very helpful. -- The Anome (talk) 10:08, 27 November 2021 (UTC)