From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Christopher Howard Andrewes
|Born||7 June 1896|
|Died||31 December 1988(aged 92)|
|Alma mater||St Bartholomew's Hospital|
|Institutions||National Institute for Medical Research|
He served in the Royal Navy as a surgeon during World War I. In 1927 he joined the scientific staff of the National Institute for Medical Research to assist Patrick Laidlaw in developing a vaccine against canine distemper. This led on to research on influenza and the discovery of the causative virus in 1933 and subsequent vaccine development. He was head of NIMR's Division of Bacteriology and Virus Research from 1939 to 1961, during which time he established the Common Cold Research Unit near Salisbury as an NIMR outpost in 1947, and the World Influenza Centre at Mill Hill in 1948, which spawned a worldwide network of collaborating centres. Andrewes was deputy director of NIMR from 1952–61 and retired in 1967.
Awards and honours
- 1939 Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society and was on the council from 1945–47.
- 1947 Awarded Bisset Hawkins Medal by the Royal College of Physicians
- 1955 Elected to the American Philosophical Society
- 1961 In the New Year Honours 1961 he was appointed a Knight Bachelor.
- 1964 Elected to the United States National Academy of Sciences
- 1965 Marjory Stephenson Prize from the Society for General Microbiology
- 1979 Robert Koch Gold Medal
Andrewes married Kathleen Lamb in 1927 and had three sons, two of whom became general practitioners.
- "Sir Christopher Howard Andrewes". Munk's Roll. Royal College of Physicians. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Christopher Howard Andrewes". NIMR History. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- MRC National Institute for Medical Research. (2014). A century of science for health. MRC National Institute for Medical Research.
- "Past Presidents". Microbiological Society. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Tyrrell, D. A. J. (1991). "Christopher Howard Andrewes. 7 June 1896-31 December 1987". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 37: 34–54. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1991.0002. S2CID 72664277.
- "APS Member History". search.amphilsoc.org. Retrieved 17 January 2023.
- "No. 42233". The London Gazette (Supplement). 27 December 1960. p. 8927.
- "Christopher Andrewes". www.nasonline.org. Retrieved 17 January 2023.