Global Youth Service Day
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Global Youth Service Day|
Volunteers maintaining the Moon-Randolph Homestead in Missoula, Montana for Global Youth Service Day 2008
Global Youth Service Day (GYSD), originally launched and known as National Youth Service Day in the United States, is a coordinated annual event which voluntary gathers young people around the world in conducting community service, service learning, and youth voice activities that benefit their communities, their countries, and the world. Activities are organized in more than 100 countries each April to help mark the celebrations, and engage millions, making it the largest annual celebration of young volunteers.
In 2020, the event will be April 17-19. Coordinated by Youth Service America together with a coalition of organizations, GYSD's primary sponsor is State Farm with contributing sponsorship from Disney and the Inter-American Development Bank. More than 2,000 youth organizations around the world participate each year. A variety of organizations with national reach across the United States engage in National Youth Service Day activities, including the United States Conference of Mayors, Woodmen of the World, and Habitat for Humanity. A variety of organizations have been accredited with administering the day, including Global Youth Action Network, Youth Service America, and Points of Light Foundation.
Speaking about Global Youth Service Day, Jane Goodall commented, "I have often said that every individual counts, every individual has a role to play, and every individual makes a difference. Global Youth Service Day proves it." Kofi Annan said that, "Volunteers are some of our most valued partners, and Global Youth Service Day celebrates the efforts of the youngest of them."
- Association for Leaders in Volunteer Engagement
- Association for Volunteer Administration
- Civic Engagement
- Community Service
- Good Deeds Day
- International Volunteer Day
- International Year of Volunteers
- Join Hands Day
- List of awards for volunteerism and community service
- Make A Difference Day
- Mandela Day
- MLK Day of service
- Mitzvah Day
- National Philanthropy Day (USA and Canada)
- National Public Lands Day (USA)
- National Volunteer Week (USA)
- Random Acts of Kindness Day
- September 11 National Day of Service (9/11 Day)
- Sewa Day
- World Kindness Day
- "National Youth Service Day", U.S. Conference of Mayors. Retrieved 10/18/08.
- "Red Cross Celebrates National Youth Service Day", American Red Cross. Retrieved 10/18/08.
- "Global Youth Service Day 2019_Call for registration". Opportunities for Youth. 2018-09-08. Retrieved 2018-10-17.
- "About", Global Youth Service Day. Retrieved 4/6/08.
- "National Youth Service Day", Woodmen of the World. Retrieved 10/18/08.
- "National Youth Service Day" Archived 2008-10-24 at the Wayback Machine, Habitat for Humanity. Retrieved 10/18/08.
- "What is National Youth Service Day?", Education.com. Retrieved 10/18/08.
- "Seasons of service" Archived 2008-10-22 at the Wayback Machine, Points of Light Foundation. Retrieved 10/18/08.
- Press Room, Global Youth Service Day. Retrieved 12/5/07.