From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Chance in 2017
|Born||August 16, 1997|
Wichita Falls, Texas, U.S.
|Total views||182.96 million|
Updated: July 21, 2020
Greyson Chance (born August 16, 1997) is an American singer-songwriter and musician. He rose to national attention in 2010 with his performance of Lady Gaga's "Paparazzi" at a grade school music festival which went viral on YouTube, gaining over 68 million views. Two of his original compositions, "Stars" and "Broken Hearts", gained over six and eight million views respectively on his channel. Chance's debut single, "Waiting Outside the Lines", was released in October 2010 followed by his debut studio album, Hold On 'til the Night, in August 2011.
Chance released his second extended play, Somewhere Over My Head, in May 2016. The lead single, "Afterlife", was released in October 2015, followed by "Hit and Run" and "Back On the Wall" in 2016. In March 2019, Chance released his second full-length album, Portraits with the lead single, "Shut Up", followed by "Timekeeper".
Greyson Michael Chance was born August 16, 1997 in Wichita Falls, Texas, and grew up in Edmond, Oklahoma. The youngest child of Scott and Lisa Chance, he has an older sister, Alexa, and an older brother, Tanner, both of whom also make music. Chance began playing the piano at age eight and had several years of piano lessons before he first went viral.
1997–2010: musical beginnings
Chance's cover of Lady Gaga’s "Paparazzi" was posted to YouTube on April 28, 2010, and for almost two weeks, the video generated low views. At least two social websites, GossipBoy.ca and reddit.com, posted video embeds on May 10, 2010. The next morning, it was embedded on ryanseacrest.com, which reported finding the video via BuzzFeed, a website that attempts to track and predict emerging viral internet memes. Later in the day, TVGuide, The Huffington Post, and Yahoo! Music's video blog, Video Ga Ga, also posted articles embedding the video; TVGuide mentioned that a Facebook fan page had already been started for Chance. That afternoon, Ryan Seacrest and Ellen DeGeneres linked the video on their Twitter accounts, as did celebrity Ashton Kutcher later that evening.
DeGeneres first saw the video after Chance's brother, Tanner Chance, wrote to her show suggesting she watch it. The video had about 10,000 views when DeGeneres first saw it. On the afternoon of May 11, Yahoo! Music reported: "As of this writing, the video has had more than 36,000 views so far, and he's even been invited to perform on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. On May 12, DeGeneres' announcement of Chance's booking on the show was broadcast at different times across the U.S. and posted to her website. The Wall Street Journal and Los Angeles Times, among other mainstream media, posted articles embedding the video and announcing the forthcoming appearance. Greyson taped an interview and performance of "Paparazzi" in Los Angeles. During the interview, Chance received a phone call from Lady Gaga, who the boy says is his "true inspiration." That evening, ABC World News broadcast a report on Chance, introduced by Diane Sawyer, who said the story struck ABC News as "part Billy Elliot and part Glee." On May 13, Chance's appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show was broadcast, and mainstream media, including CBS and People, reported on the appearance. That morning, Ryan Seacrest posted another link on Twitter, this time to the video of Chance appearing on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
On May 15, Chance created an official Myspace page and an official Twitter account. Chance made a second appearance on Ellen, airing May 26, 2010, on which he performed his original song "Broken Hearts", received a $10,000 award for winning Ellen's Wonderful Web of Wonderment contest, a brand new Yamaha piano, and was announced as DeGeneres's first signed artist to her new recording label eleveneleven. While explaining her reasons for naming her record label, she listed as one reason the fact that she first saw Chance's "Paparazzi" cover on May 11, 2010. Also, she states that 11 is Greyson's soccer jersey number. Guy Oseary, who manages Madonna's career, and Troy Carter, who manages Lady Gaga's career, would be co-managers of Greyson Chance's career, but no partnership with a major recording label had been finalized.
Because of his quick rise, including fast creations of fan sites, and high quality of the videos, The Christian Science Monitor examined the story to see if it was genuine or a clever marketing campaign, ultimately stating the "video is legit." In May 2010, ITN News raised many of the same questions; highlighting aspects of Chance's "Paparazzi" video, media industry analyst Alan Stevens pointed out the growing inability within modern media culture to distinguish between videos which are produced by amateurs and videos which are produced by professionals but made to appear amateur in origin.
2010–14: Hold On 'til the Night and Truth Be Told, Part 1
His debut single, "Waiting Outside the Lines", was released to iTunes on October 26, 2010. It was released digitally in the UK on December 9. The single also contained a remix featuring Filipina singer Charice, as well as studio versions of his covers of Lady Gaga's "Paparazzi" and "Fire" by Augustana. Throughout December, Chance appeared at We Day 2010 in downtown Toronto at the Air Canada Centre, where he performed the latter, and visited both Paris and London, appearing on local radio stations and giving private concerts in both cities. On February 5, 2011, Greyson Chance entered the National spotlight again with an appearance/performance of "Waiting Outside the Lines" on CBS's Early Show, while stopping through New York on Miranda Cosgrove's Dancing Crazy Tour. He then started the Waiting 4U tour with Australian pop/R&B singer Cody Simpson on April 9 in Ivins, Utah. The tour ended on May 18, 2011, in Portland, Oregon.
On May 17, 2011, his second single, "Unfriend You", was released to iTunes and, on May 23, Greyson visited The Ellen DeGeneres Show to premiere the single. After the performance, Greyson revealed a solid release date for his upcoming debut album, Hold On 'Til the Night, which was released on August 2, 2011. The music video features a cameo from Ariana Grande.
On September 15, he again appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to talk about his album, and also revealed that he had taken his first steps into acting, portraying a younger version of Jimmy Chance, the protagonist of Fox's comedy Raising Hope, in the series' second-season premiere. The episode aired on September 20, 2011.
In November 2011, Chance undertook a tour of Southeast Asia to promote his album, which had just been released in the region. The tour started in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where in addition to a showcase performance he was invited to perform at the Malaysian Music Industry Awards show (the first foreign artist so invited since 1999) with Malaysia YouTube sensation, Najwa Latif, Greyson also gave performances in Singapore; Kota Kinabalu (Borneo, Malaysia); Manila, Philippines; and Jakarta, Indonesia.
In March 2012, Chance returned to Asia to support the release of a special edition of the album, which was released to the Asian market on March 20. He was accompanied by his full four-part band and gave full concert performances in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Jakarta, and Manila, before going on without the band on a promotional tour to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Bangkok, Thailand. In early July, he was back in the region for promotional and TV appearances in Hong Kong and Changsha (Hunan, China). In August, he performed at the MTV-CCTV Mandarin Music Awards show in Beijing and won the award for Most Popular New International Artist of the Year.
In November 2012, after releasing his new EP, Truth Be Told Part 1, he again returned to Asia for a promo tour starting in Kota Kinabalu (Borneo, Malaysia) to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Singapore and Manila, Philippines.
2014–2018: Somewhere Over My Head
On January 13, 2014, Chance released a new song named "Temptation" onto his Soundcloud. He performed the song at the Sundance Film Festival.  Throughout the year, he continued the process of writing and recording his EP, Somewhere Over My Head. On September 16, Chance released a single called "Thrilla In Manila". Another track named "Meridians" was released on March 24, 2015. Both songs, ultimately, did not appear on the final track list. The official lead single, "Afterlife", was released on October 29, 2015. In 2016, it was succeeded by "Hit & Run" on February 5 and "Back On the Wall" on April 29 as the second and third singles, respectively. On April 28, he released a new music video for his single "Back On The Wall" on his YouTube channel. The EP was released May 13, 2016.
Before the release of Somewhere Over My Head, from January 27 to February 1, 2016, Chance performed three shows in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City. He had a release party of his new EP in YouTube Space LA on May 13, 2016. And on May 28–29, he had another two shows after the release of the EP in San Francisco and Seattle.
In February 2016, he was picked as Elvis Duran's Artist of the Month and was featured on NBC's Today show hosted by Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb and broadcast nationally where he performed live his single "Hit & Run".
In June 2016, one month after releasing his new EP, Somewhere Over My Head, Chance returned to Asia for a short promo tour starting in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Penang in Malaysia, and Manila, Philippines.
On September 15, 2016, Frank Pole released a song titled "Anything" which featured Chance. On December 23, 2016, Chance released a song called "London". On May 6, 2017, Chance is also featured on Fabian Mazur's song called "Earn It". On May 12, 2017, Chance's cover of "Hungry Eyes" was released as part of the soundtrack album for the television film remake of Dirty Dancing. On June 30, 2017, Chance released a song called "Seasons".
On December 8, 2017, Chance released his single "Low," and on May 4, 2018, he released his single "Lighthouse", collaborating with Danish-American DJ & music producer Fabian Mazur. Another single was released on June 8, 2018 called "Good As Gold".
On March 15, 2019, he released his second studio album, Portraits. Due to his success independently, Chance signed his second major record deal with Sony Music Global and Arista Records, which will release any subsequent material he produces, in June 2019.
In 2017, Chance was attending the University of Tulsa and majoring in History, but he later dropped out to focus on music. On July 19, 2017, Chance came out as gay in an Instagram post. On August 14, 2020, Chance revealed he struggles with anorexia nervosa.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Hold On 'til the Night||29|| |
|Truth Be Told, Part 1|| |
|Somewhere Over My Head|| |
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Waiting Outside the Lines"||2010||12||95[A]||Hold On 'til the Night|
|"Hold On 'til the Night"||—||—|
|"Take a Look at Me Now"||2012||—||—|
|"Sunshine & City Lights"||—||—||Truth Be Told, Part 1|
|"Thrilla In Manila"||2014||—||—||Non-album singles|
|"Afterlife"||—||—||Somewhere Over My Head|
|"Hit & Run"||2016||—||—|
|"Back on the Wall"||—||—|
(with Fabian Mazur)
|"Good as Gold"||—||—|
|"Dancing Next to Me"||2020||—||—||TBA|
|"Athlete"||—||—||Songs from "Love, Victor" (Original Soundtrack)|
|"Bad to Myself"||—||—||TBA|
As featured artist
(tyDi and Jack Novak featuring Greyson Chance)
(Frank Pole featuring Greyson Chance)
|"Earn It" |
(Fabian Mazur featuring Greyson Chance)
(Sick Individuals featuring Greyson Chance)
|2010||"Waiting Outside the Lines"||Sanaa Hamri|
|2011||"Unfriend You"||Marc Klasfeld|
|"Hold On 'til the Night"||Dano Cerny, Marielle Tepper|
|2012||"Sunshine & City Lights"||Clarence Fuller|
|2016||"Back on the Wall"||Rage|
|2018||"Good as Gold"||Bobby Hannaford|
|2019||"Shut Up"||Bobby Hannaford|
|"White Roses"||Bobby Hannaford|
|2020||"Dancing Next To Me"||Edgar Daniel|
|"Bad to Myself"||Rahul Chakraborty|
- Waiting 4U Tour (2011)
- Dancing Crazy Tour (2011)
Awards and recognition
|2010||Choice Web Star||Teen Choice Awards||Nominated|
|Icon of Tomorrow||J-14 Teen Icon Awards||Nominated|
|Teen Pick: YouTube Artist||Hollywood Teen TV Awards||Won|
|2011||Favorite Viral Video Star||People's Choice Awards||Nominated|
|Rockin' New Artist of the Year||Youth Rock Awards||Won|
|2012||Most Popular New International Artist of the Year||MTV-CCTV Mandarin Music Awards||Won|
|Most Dedicated Fan Army||Heat Tweets Award||Won|
|Greatest YouTube Star||Popdust Award||Nominated|
- "Waiting Outside the Lines" did not enter the Flanders Ultratop 50, but peaked at number forty-five on the Ultratip chart.
- "21 Under 21: Greyson Chance". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. September 23, 2010. Retrieved January 2, 2011.
- "Greyson Chance : Biography". Greyson-official.com. Archived from the original on December 18, 2010. Retrieved January 2, 2011.
- "Greyson Chance's YouTube channel". Retrieved February 2, 2011.
- "Justin Bieber Look-alike Plays Lady Gaga's 'Paparazzi', RyanSeacrest.com, May 11, 2010.
- "Sixth Grader Wows Crowd with Lady Gaga Cover", TV Guide, May 11, 2010.
- "13-Year-Old's 'Paparazzi' Cover Woos The Ladies", The Huffington Post, May 11, 2010.
- "Little Lord Gaga: Greyson Michael Chance's "Paparazzi" Is A Web Sensation". Yahoo! Music. May 11, 2010. Archived from the original on May 28, 2010.
- Seacrest, Ryan [@RyanSeacrest] (May 11, 2010). "u cant really go wrong singing @ladygaga with a @justinbieber haircut: bit.ly/9ZzKLr" (Tweet). Retrieved April 4, 2019 – via Twitter.
- DeGeneres, Ellen [@TheEllenShow] (May 11, 2010). "Never been more excited to have someone on my show. This is a 12-year-old 6th grader. He'll be on Thursdays show. Enjoy bit.ly/bAjxC1" (Tweet). Retrieved April 4, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Kutcher, Ashton [@aplusk] (May 11, 2010). ""Watch the 1 girl in the back row that realizes she's witnessing a future superstar in the making AMAZING-> bit.ly/b8Ie3M" (Tweet). Retrieved April 4, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "See Greyson Chance at Home" Archived April 16, 2009[Date mismatch], at the Wayback Machine, EllenTV.com, May 25, 2010.
- "Ellen DeGeneres Starts Record Label Just to Sign Greyson Chance" People.com, May 26, 2010.
- "Greyson Chance's Unbelievable Performance", EllenTV.com, May 12, 2010.
- "Lady Gaga Fan Greyson Michael Chance to Perform on Ellen", The Wall Street Journal blog, May 12, 2010.
- "Paparazzi prodigy Greyson Michael Chance booked by Ellen", latimesblogs.latimes.com, May 12, 2010; accessed July 7, 2015.
- "Clip from the Future: 12-year-old Web Sensation Greyson Chance performs on The Ellen DeGeneres Show Archived 2010-06-10 at the Wayback Machine, EllenTV.com, May 12, 2010.
- "Lady Gaga phones 12-year-old YouTube star", BBC News. May 14, 2010.
- "Prodigy Greyson Michael Chance on Ellen – Lady Gaga's Paparazzi". National Ledger. Phoenix AZ. May 13, 2010. Archived from the original on May 16, 2010. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "6th Grader Takes Chance, Becomes Sensation", ABC World News, May 12, 2010.
- "Greyson Chance performs on The Ellen DeGeneres Show Archived May 16, 2010[Date mismatch], at the Wayback Machine, EllenTV.com. May 13, 2010.
- "Greyson Michael Chance Rocks Ellen", CBS News, May 13, 2010.
- "Is Greyson Chance the Next Justin Bieber (or Lady GaGa)?" Archived May 16, 2010[Date mismatch], at the Wayback Machine, People, May 13, 2010.
- Seacrest, Ryan [@RyanSeacrest] (May 13, 2010). "this kid just keeps getting better! 12 yr old video star Greyson Chance performs on @theellenshow: bit.ly/9pmg1z" (Tweet). Retrieved April 4, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "The OFFICIAL MySpace Page of Greyson Chance!", Greyson Chance on Myspace, May 15, 2010.
- Chance, Greyson [@greysonchance] (May 15, 2010). "My first tweet! Thanks for all the support, follow me here so I can keep you updated on everything!" (Tweet). Retrieved April 4, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "A Message from Ellen" Archived May 28, 2010[Date mismatch], at the Wayback Machine, EllenTV.com. May 25, 2010.
- "Video of the Day: Greyson Chance Returns to 'Ellen'" Archived June 10, 2010[Date mismatch], at the Wayback Machine EllenTV.com, May 26, 2010.
- "Ellen Explains Her New eleveneleven Record Label" Archived May 31, 2010[Date mismatch], at the Wayback Machine EllenTV.com, May 28, 2010.
- Herrera, Monica (June 4, 2010). "Search on for the next Justin Bieber", Toronto Star.
- Goodale, Gloria (May 15, 2010). "Is Greyson Chance's Serendipitous YouTube Rise a Ruse?", The Christian Science Monitor (Boston MA).
- Goodale, Gloria (May 18, 2010)."Greyson Chance: What is real in an age of media manipulation?", The Christian Science Monitor (Boston MA).
- "Is Greyson Chance Manufactured?", ITN News on YouTube, May 18, 2010.
- "Waiting Outside the Lines – EP by Greyson Chance on iTunes". iTunes.
- "We Day shows students the power within | Trinity College School". www.tcs.on.ca. Retrieved March 1, 2020.
- "Greyson Chance – Live – Paparazzi de Lady Gaga – Le 6/9 NRJ" December 10, 2010 Archived December 14, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Le-6-9.nrj.fr. Retrieved on August 22, 2012.
- "Greyson Chance on BBC Radio" December 12, 2010 Archived December 19, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Greysonchanceweb.com (December 12, 2010). Retrieved on August 22, 2012.
- "Greyson Chance performs and interviews with CBS Early Show" GCZ – February 5, 2011
- iTunes – Unfriend You. Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved on August 22, 2012.
- Greyson Chance 2nd Day of UnFriend You Video Shoot with Ariana Grande July 13th 2011 – Greyson Chance What's New! – Greyson Chance Fans | Fan Site Blog Archived August 17, 2011[Date mismatch], at the Wayback Machine. Greyson Chance Fans (June 14, 2011). Retrieved on August 22, 2012.
- The Ellen DeGeneres Show, September 15, 2011; Episode: Eva Longoria/Greyson Chance.
- "Najwa Latif & Greyson Chance LIVE On AIM 18 2011". YouTube. November 1, 2011. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
-  Archived January 16, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- Maketab, Hanis (November 19, 2011). "SHOWBIZ: Chance encounter". New Straits Times. Kuala Lumpur. Archived from the original on December 12, 2011. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Greyson Chance to perform here on Nov 13". My Paper. Singapore. November 2, 2011. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Belmonte, Maureen Marie (November 21, 2011). "Greyson on seizing that 'Chance' of a lifetime". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on November 23, 2011. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Hold On 'Til The Night (CD+DVD Special Asia Edition): Greyson Chance". Amazon.
- Nan, Chen (August 31, 2012). "Young heartthrob remains down to earth". China Daily. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- "Temptation – Greyson Chance". Soundcloud.
- "Thrilla in Manila – Single by Greyson Chance on iTunes". iTunes.
- Chance, Greyson [@greysonchance] (March 24, 2015). "'Meridians' now available on iTunes worldwide! Grab yourself a copy! itun.es/us/nNIr6" (Tweet). Retrieved April 4, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Afterlife – Single by Greyson Chance on iTunes". iTunes.
- "Hit & Run – Single by Greyson Chance on iTunes". iTunes.
- "Back On the Wall: Greyson Chance". Amazon.
- greyson97 (April 2, 2016), Greyson Chance – Back on the Wall (Official Music Video), retrieved August 6, 2016
- "Somewhere Over My Head: Greyson Chance". Amazon.
- "Greyson Chance – Tickets – Troubadour – Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2016 | Ticketfly". www.ticketfly.com. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- clubtix.com, IMH. "Welcome To CLUBTIX Online Event Ticketing". www.clubtix.com. Retrieved August 6, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Chance, Greyson [@greysonchance] (February 19, 2016). "Oceans is out today!!! If you need a summer jam... we got you You can buy on iTunes here: itun.es/us/5Jywab" (Tweet). Retrieved August 6, 2016 – via Twitter.
- Chance, Greyson [@greysonchance] (June 29, 2016). "ASIA: thank you for an awesome trip, it has been real. I'm so glad that you like SOMH; I'm immensely grateful. Now... 🛫 USA" (Tweet). Retrieved August 6, 2016 – via Twitter.
- "Greyson Chance Releases First Album in 8 Years, 'Portraits': Listen". Billboard. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- Greyson Chance Signs With Arista Records
- Chance, Greyson (July 19, 2017). "The decision to write this came after I received a message from a brave individual. Such message inspired me to shed light on an aspect of my private life which I have kept distant from my career in music. I came to fully recognize that I was gay when I was sixteen. I decided not to publicize my sexuality largely due to a matter of privacy, as I was still trying to find comfort and confidence within my own skin. Further, I always found conversations regarding music, politics, art, books – and the greatness of Nas' catalog – to be far more interesting than what type of guy I was into. This is still true today. While this message is most definitely overdue, I encourage anyone who is navigating their sexuality to devote as much time as they need to the process of finding self-confidence, self-acceptance, and self-love. Hell, for me, it took years to write this message. Nevertheless, I figured now was the time to let a few more friends know that I am happy, I am here for you, and I am proud of who I am. Cheers -G" – via Instagram.
- Kaufman, Gil (July 20, 2017). "Former YouTube Star Greyson Chance Comes Out". Billboard. Archived from the original on July 21, 2017. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- August 21, Tomás Mier; Pm, 2020 12:00. "Greyson Chance Details His Turning Point amid Anorexia Struggle: 'This Is Not How I'm Giving Up'". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved November 2, 2020.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Greyson Chance – Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Box, Bobby. "At 21, Greyson Chance Is Back From Retirement And Ready For Redemption". Billboard. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- "Greyson Chance – Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- "Discografie Greyson Chance". ultratop.be (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- "Greyson Chance releases inspiring new single Holy Feeling". GAY TIMES. January 15, 2021. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- Gottlieb, Steven (May 20, 2011). "Video Static: Music Video News: IN PRODUCTION: Greyson Chance – Marc Klasfeld, dir". Video Static. Archived from the original on May 24, 2011. Retrieved July 17, 2011.
- Golby, Joel (May 7, 2013). "GALLERY: Check out all of heat's Twitter Awards winners!". Archived from the original on June 19, 2013. Retrieved June 17, 2013.