From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Type of site
|Film and entertainment news|
|Owner||Penske Media Corporation|
|Launched||September 4, 2009|
Deadline Hollywood (also referred to simply as DEADLINE or Deadline.com and previously known as the news blog Deadline Hollywood Daily) is an online news site founded by Nikki Finke in 2006. The site is updated several times a day, with entertainment industry news as its focus. It has been a brand of Penske Media Corporation since 2009.
Deadline was founded by Nikki Finke, who began writing an LA Weekly column series called Deadline Hollywood in June 2002. She began the Deadline Hollywood Daily (DHD) blog in March 2006 as an online version of her column. She officially launched it as an entertainment trade website in 2006. The site became one of Hollywood's most followed websites by 2009. In 2009, Finke sold Deadline to Penske Media Corporation (then Mail.com Media) for a low seven-figure sum. Finke was also given a five-year-plus employment contract reported by the Los Angeles Times as worth "millions of dollars," as well as part of the site's revenue. In September 2009, the URL was changed to deadline.com and the site's name became Deadline Hollywood.
The publication expanded to New York in 2010 with the hiring of Variety reporter Mike Fleming Jr. as the new Deadline New York editor, Financial Times editor Tim Adler to lead Deadline London, and Nellie Andreeva for the site's television coverage as "co-editors-in-chief, TV." Finke remained the editor of Deadline Hollywood until November 2013, when she left after a year-long disagreement between herself and Penske, which had bought Variety, a competing trade magazine and website.
- "About Us". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on May 13, 2018. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
- Finke, Nikki (May 11, 2016). "Deadline Turns 10 And Celebrates Disruptors: Nikki Finke Looks Back". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on July 6, 2021. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
- Maglio, Tony; Donnelly, Matt (July 20, 2017). "She's Back?! Nikki Finke Poised to Return to Deadline Hollywood as Columnist (Exclusive)". TheWrap. Archived from the original on March 27, 2021. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
- Fritz, Ben (June 24, 2009). "Mail.com picks up Deadline Hollywood". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on August 7, 2020. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
- Haber, Matt (September 4, 2009). "Fixedja! Nikki Finke's Deadline Sleeker, Less Daily". Portfolio.com. Archived from the original on March 18, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
- Young, Pandora (January 11, 2010). "Nikki Finke Hires Mike Fleming Away From Variety". Mediabistro. Archived from the original on January 14, 2010. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
- Ernst, Amanda (January 11, 2010). "Nikki Fine Hires Variety Vet To Helm Deadline New York". Mediabistro. Archived from the original on January 15, 2010. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
- Reagan, Gillian (March 29, 2010). "Nikki Finke Poaches Hollywood Reporter's TV Editor Nellie Andreeva". Business Insider. Archived from the original on August 1, 2020. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
- Kaufman, Leslie (November 6, 2013). "Nikki Finke Leaves Deadline Hollywood". The New York Times. Archived from the original on October 2, 2018. Retrieved July 17, 2021.