From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Directed by||Brian Duffield|
|Screenplay by||Brian Duffield|
by Aaron Starmer
|Music by||Joseph Trapanese|
|Edited by||Steve Edwards|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Spontaneous is a 2020 American science fiction romantic black comedy film, written and directed by Brian Duffield, in his directorial debut. It stars Katherine Langford, Charlie Plummer, Hayley Law, Piper Perabo, Rob Huebel and Yvonne Orji.
When students in their high school begin inexplicably exploding, seniors Mara (Katherine Langford), Dylan (Charlie Plummer) and others navigate in a world where each moment may be their last. As spontaneous explosions continue unexplained, an unexpected romance blossoms between Mara and Dylan, who discover that when tomorrow is no longer promised, they can finally start living for today.
- Katherine Langford as Mara Carlyle
- Charlie Plummer as Dylan Hovemeyer
- Hayley Law as Tess McNulty
- Piper Perabo as Angela Carlyle
- Rob Huebel as Charlie Carlyle
- Yvonne Orji as Agent Carla Rosetti
- Laine MacNeil as Jenna Dalton
- Clive Holloway as Joe Dalton
- Bzhaun Rhoden as Harper Wie
- Chris Shields as Spiros
- Chelah Horsdal as Denise Hovemeyer
In June 2016, it was announced Awesomeness Films had acquired rights to the film, with Brian Duffield writing the script, based upon the novel of the same name by Aaron Starmer. Brian Robbins and Matt Kaplan will produce under the banner, while Nicki Cortese will produce under her Jurassic Party Productions banner. In December 2017, Katherine Langford joined the cast of the film.
In January 2018, Charlie Plummer and Hayley Law joined the cast of the film. In February 2018, Piper Perabo, Rob Huebel, Yvonne Orji, Laine MacNeil, Clive Holloway, Bzhaun Rhoden, and Chris Shields joined the cast of the film.
On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 98% based on 52 reviews, with an average rating of 8.4/10. The website's critics' consensus reads: "A dark teen comedy with an explosive twist, Spontaneous reaffirms Katherine Langford as a rising star -- and marks debuting director Brian Duffield as a filmmaker to watch." On Metacritic, the film received a rating of 78/100 based on seven critic reviews, indicating “generally favorable reviews”.
- "Spontaneous". Film Ratings. Retrieved July 28, 2020.
- Lybarger, Dan (October 9, 2020). "'Spontaneous' director about to blow up". ArkansasOnline.com. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- Busch, Anita (June 1, 2016). "Awesomeness Films Acquires YA Novel 'Spontaneous'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 30, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (December 11, 2017). "'13 Reasons Why' Star Katherine Langford To Topline YA Film 'Spontaneous'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 30, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (January 17, 2018). "'All the Money in the World' Breakout Charlie Plummer to Star in 'Spontaneous' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved December 30, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (January 24, 2018). "'Riverdale' Actress Hayley Law Joins Katherine Langford In 'Spontaneous'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 30, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (February 7, 2018), "Piper Perabo, Rob Huebel, &'Insecure's Yvonne Orji Board 'Spontaneous' From Awesomeness Films", Deadline Hollywood, retrieved December 30, 2018
- Canfield, David (April 10, 2018). "Spontaneous: See Katherine Langford and her costars' on-set diary". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved December 30, 2018.
- Sneider, Jeff (August 26, 2020). "'Spontaneous' Trailer Finds Katherine Langford's Classmates Exploding — Literally". Collider. Retrieved August 26, 2020.
- Spontaneous (2020), retrieved 2021-01-13