From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Swift twisted-claw millipede|
|Male N. swiftae from Van Buren County, Tennessee.|
Hennen, Means & Marek, 2022
Nannaria swiftae, also known as the Swift twisted-claw millipede or Taylor Swift's millipede, is a species of millipede in the family Xystodesmidae. It is found only in the Appalachian mountains of the U.S. state of Tennessee. It was discovered and described in 2022 by entomologists Derek Hennen, Jackson Means and Paul Marek, who expanded the genus Nannaria to 78 species. They named the millipede in honor of American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift.
As part of a multi-year project to collect new specimens of the millipedes throughout the eastern U.S., scientists including Derek Hennen of Virginia Tech traveled to 17 states, to find the species, sequence their DNA, and scientifically describe them. Over 1,800 specimens were collected and assessed during their field study spanning five years. In the end, the team described 17 new species, one of which is N. swiftae.
The naming of an animal species is required to comply with the guidelines established by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN), which allow names that honor people, including celebrities. N. swiftae was named after American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift "in recognition of her talent as a songwriter and performer and in appreciation of the enjoyment her music has brought DAH." Hennen, the lead author of the scientist team that discovered the species, said Swift's music "helped [him] get through the highs and lows of graduate school, so naming a new millipede species after her is [his] way of saying thanks." Of the 16 new species described by Hennen, he picked N. swiftae to be named after Swift as the species is endemic to Swift's home state, Tennessee.
- "Swiftie Scientist Names New Millipede Species After Taylor Swift". Rolling Stone. 2022-04-18. Retrieved 2022-04-20.
- "On the troubles of naming species". The Economist. 21 September 2022. Retrieved 25 September 2022.
- Sankaran, Vishwam (2022-04-19). "Seventeen new millipede species discovered, one named after Taylor Swift". The Independent. Retrieved 2022-04-20.
- Hennen, Derek A.; Means, Jackson C. & Marek, Paul E. (15 April 2022). "A revision of the wilsoni species group in the millipede genus Nannaria Chamberlin, 1918 (Diplopoda, Polydesmida, Xystodesmidae)". ZooKeys. 1096: 17–118. doi:10.3897/zookeys.1096.73485. PMC 9033750. PMID 35837667.
- Sahai, Fred (2022-04-18). "Taylor Swift Has a Millipede Species to Call Her Own Thanks to Superfan Scientist". Billboard. Retrieved 2022-04-20.