From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Created by||Tony Khan|
|Presented by||Jim Ross|
|Opening theme||"Dynamite" by No One Hero|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||90 (as of June 18, 2021)|
|Camera setup||Multicamera setup|
|Running time||120 minutes|
|Production company||All Elite Wrestling|
|Original network||TNT (2019–2022)|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080p|
|Original release||October 2, 2019 –|
|Related shows||AEW Rampage|
AEW Dark: Elevation
AEW Dynamite, also known as Wednesday Night Dynamite or simply Dynamite, is a professional wrestling television program. It is produced by the American promotion All Elite Wrestling (AEW) and airs every Wednesday at 8pm ET on TNT in the United States. When TNT airs NBA games, Dynamite airs on a different night, such as Thursday or Friday. In January 2022, Dynamite will move to TNT's sister channel TBS.
TV Guide listed Dynamite at 57 of the top 100 shows on TV, saying "AEW Dynamite's arrival was an electric jolt to mainstream wrestling, which had gotten creatively stagnant over the last few years."
All Elite Wrestling (AEW), which launched in January 2019, filed for several trademarks, including Tuesday Night Dynamite, presumably a name for a television show. In June 2019, AEW filed an additional trademark for Wednesday Night Dynamite, leading to many sources believing the show would air on Wednesday nights under this name.
On May 15, 2019, AEW and WarnerMedia announced a deal for a weekly prime-time show airing live on TNT and would also stream live events and pay-per-views on B/R Live in the United States and Canada.
In April, Jim Ross confirmed the show would be a weekly two-hour live show. During Fight for the Fallen, Chris Jericho confirmed the show would be starting in October. On July 24, AEW announced the show would premiere on Wednesday, October 2, and would broadcast live from the Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. On August 2, it was announced that the show had sold out within 3 hours of tickets going on sale. AEW President Tony Khan said that they chose to air the show on Wednesday nights instead of Tuesday nights because TNT airs the National Basketball Association (NBA) on Tuesday and Thursday nights, and it also prevented competition against the National Football League (NFL) on Thursday nights, as it might compete with Khan's NFL franchise.
In August 2019, WWE announced that it was moving their WWE Network show NXT to the USA Network and expanding the program to a live, two-hour broadcast in the same timeslot as AEW's upcoming show. NXT premiered on USA on September 18, two weeks before AEW's broadcast debut on TNT. On August 30, the day before All Out, TNT aired a one-hour special called Countdown to All Out at 10pm ET, which averaged 390,000 viewers.
Like they had done for each of their pay-per-view events, AEW began a "Road to" YouTube series on September 4 entitled The Road to AEW on TNT to build anticipation for the debut broadcast of the show. On September 19, 2019, the show's name was revealed as All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite. A two-hour preview show called Countdown to All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite aired on October 1 at 8pm ET and averaged 631,000 viewers.
On October 2, 2019, Dynamite debuted on TNT which averaged 1.409 million viewers, which made it the largest television debut on TNT in five years. Also on October 2, NXT would make their two-hour debut on USA Network (the previous two episodes featured the first hour on USA with the second hour on the WWE Network), and they averaged 891,000 viewers. Dynamite beat out NXT in viewership and more than doubled its competition in the key adults 18-49 demographic, scoring 878,000 viewers compared to NXT's 414,000. This would also mark the beginning of the "Wednesday Night Wars". Prior to and after the episode, untelevised matches were filmed to air on AEW Dark on the following Tuesdays (except before pay-per-view events, where the episodes air Fridays) on AEW's YouTube channel.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic that began in March 2020, which caused restrictions for live events around the world, AEW ran empty arena shows from March 18–25 and again from May 6–August 19 from Daily's Place in Jacksonville, Florida, and taped six weeks of shows March 31–April 2 from One Fall Power Factory in Norcross, Georgia. During these broadcasts, AEW used their employees and other in-ring talent to serve as the live audience for matches when they were not involved in matches or other on-air segments. AEW later began allowing more family and friends of essential personnel to attend, and on August 27, 2020 (moved to Thursday because of NBA playoff games), AEW resumed live audiences, again from Daily's Place, though to a limited capacity of 10–15% of the venue. During the pandemic, in order to allow more time off, AEW often tapes two weeks of shows in two days (live Wednesday, then a taping Thursday), which allows wrestlers a week off. This procedure has also allowed AEW to pre-tape Thanksgiving and Christmas shows in advance using the format.
In May 2021, it was announced that Dynamite would be moving to TNT's sister channel TBS, also owned by WarnerMedia, in January 2022. Additionally, AEW will begin airing a new show, AEW Rampage, starting August 2021 on TNT, which will also move to TBS along with Dynamite in January 2022.
The wrestlers featured on All Elite Wrestling take part in scripted feuds and storylines. Wrestlers are portrayed as heroes, villains, or less distinguishable characters in scripted events that build tension and culminate in a wrestling match.
|Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, and Excalibur||October 2, 2019– present|
|Paul Wight, Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, Excalibur, and Taz||February 24, 2021- March 14, 2021|
|Jim Ross and Excalibur||November 27, 2019|
|Jim Ross, Excalibur, and Taz||January 1, 2020 |
February 26, 2020 (2nd hour)
March 18, 2020
July 15, 2020 (1st hour)
September 30, 2020
|Tony Schiavone, Cody, and Kenny Omega||March 25, 2020|
|Tony Schiavone and Cody||April 1, 2020(1st hour)|
|Tony Schiavone and Colt Cabana||April 1, 2020(2nd hour)|
|Tony Schiavone and Chris Jericho||April 8, 2020– April 29, 2020|
|Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, Excalibur, and Chris Jericho||June 10, 2020 (1st hour) |
July 1, 2020
September 22, 2020
November 4, 2020
December 30, 2020 – January 6, 2021
|Jim Ross, Excalibur, and Chris Jericho||July 15, 2020(2nd hour)|
|Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, and Taz||July 29, 2020– August 22, 2020|
|Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, and Chris Jericho||August 27, 2020|
|Justin Roberts||October 2, 2019– present|
|Dasha Gonzalez||November 27, 2019|
April 1, 2020 – June 3, 2020
|Brandi Rhodes||March 18, 2020– March 25, 2020|
On September 25, 2019, AEW announced an international streaming deal with FITE TV primarily for regions outside of the United States and Canada via the "AEW Plus" package, which includes live streaming and replay access of Dynamite in simulcast with its U.S. airing.
In Canada, Bell Media's TSN acquired broadcast rights to Dynamite, marking the return of professional wrestling to the network after WWE Raw moved to rival network The Score (now Sportsnet 360) in 2006. The show is broadcast in simulcast with TNT in the U.S (but is subject to scheduling) and is streamed on TSN Direct as well as TSN's website.
On May 8, 2019, AEW reached a new media rights deal with British media company ITV plc to broadcast AEW shows on ITV4. In the United Kingdom, Dynamite will be added to ITV Hub on Thursday evenings, and air on ITV4 on Friday nights.
On October 22, 2019, TNT Serie announced a deal to air Dynamite on Friday nights in Germany. On October 24, 2019, Toonami announced a deal to air Dynamite on Tuesday nights in France. On July 21, 2020, Sky Sport and AEW announced a deal to air Dynamite on Friday nights in Italy, replacing WWE programming. AEW also began airing on Sport Extra in Romania in 2020.
- "We've been underground reorganizing but now we are back and pleased to announced that our new upcoming single "Dynamite" is now the official Theme Song Show opener for All Elite Wrestling's "DYNAMITE" which premiers this Wednesday 8pm/7C on TNT!! Check it out!!!". Facebook.com. No One Hero. September 30, 2019. Retrieved September 30, 2019.
- TV Guide Editors (August 31, 2020). "The 100 Best Shows on TV, Ranked". TV Guide. Retrieved September 3, 2020.
- Nason, John (November 21, 2018). "Trademarks filed in Florida for All Elite Wrestling, All Out, and more". F4wonline. Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- Fernandes, Steven (November 11, 2018). "NEW TRADEMARKS POINT TO ELITE PROMOTION, NEXT STEP FOR BUCKS AND CODY". PWInsider. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- Radican, Sean (November 21, 2018). "All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed, startup promotion linked to Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, Omega, and cast of Being the Elite (w/Radican's Analysis)". PWTorch. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- "Report: AEW Applied To Trademark "Wednesday Night Dynamite" On 6/18 | Fightful Wrestling". www.fightful.com. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "A Big Clue As To When AEW Will Air Their Weekly TV". pwinsider.com. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "AEW on TNT: The Latest News On Which Night The Show Will Air". Comic Book.com. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "AEW News: AEW files for new trademark, possible indication of which night weekly TV will air on (w/Radican's Analysis) -". June 22, 2019. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- Otterson, Joe (May 15, 2019). "AEW Poised to Be 'Sports-Centric Alternative' to WWE With WarnerMedia TV Deal". Variety. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- Silverstein, Adam. "AEW TV deal: Weekly show to air live on TNT with Turner also streaming pay-per-views". CBS Sports. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- AEW Staff (June 27, 2019). "How To Watch Fyter Fest". All Elite Wrestling. Retrieved July 5, 2019.
- Jim Ross Interview, retrieved July 18, 2019
- "7/13 AEW Fight For The Fallen results: Powell's live review of Cody and Dustin Rhodes vs. The Young Bucks, Kenny Omega vs. Cima, Chris Jericho promo, Hangman Page vs. Kip Sabian, Pentagon Jr. and Fenix vs. Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. July 13, 2019. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "#AEW debuts on @TNTDrama - Wednesday, October 2 LIVE from Washington DC's @CapitalOneArena #AreYouElite @AEWonTNTpic.twitter.com/W8vg1CcZrw". @AEWrestling. All Elite Wrestling. July 24, 2019. Retrieved July 24, 2019.
- Otterson, Joe (July 24, 2019). "All Elite Wrestling to Launch on TNT Wednesdays in October". Variety.com. Variety. Retrieved July 24, 2019.
- Meltzer, Dave (August 2, 2019). "Update: AEW sells out tickets for TV debut". F4WOnline.com. Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- Thomas, Jeremy (September 2, 2019). "Tony Khan on Why He Picked Wednesday Night for AEW on TNT, How Commentary Will Be Handled, More". 411mania. Retrieved September 23, 2019.
- "Yep, @tntdrama beginning this October, day of week TBA Live, 2 hours.....check us out. Thanks. 🤠". Twitter.com. Jim Ross. May 27, 2019. Retrieved May 28, 2019.
- "Breaking News - @AEWrestling to air on @TNTDrama #AEW". Twitter.com. All Elite Wrestling. May 15, 2019. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- "All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite". www.tntdrama.com.
- TNT, All Elite Wrestling on (July 24, 2019). "It's. Going. Down. October 2, 2019 #AreYouElite #AEWonTNTpic.twitter.com/bhbvZw24QG".
- "NXT moving to cable TV on Sept. 18". SI.com. Retrieved August 20, 2019.
- Littleton, Cynthia (August 20, 2019). "WWE's 'NXT' Moves to USA Network as Wrestling Competition Heats Up". Variety. Retrieved August 20, 2019.
- Pratt, Emily (August 20, 2019). "TNT Will Air An All Elite Wrestling Special The Night Before All Out". Uproxx.com. Retrieved August 21, 2019.
- Fontaine, Paul (September 3, 2019). "COUNTDOWN TO AEW ALL OUT AVERAGES NEARLY 400,000 VIEWERS ON TNT". F4WOnline.com. Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- All Elite Wrestling (September 4, 2019). The Road to AEW on TNT - Episode 01. YouTube. Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- "Episode 01". www.tntdrama.com.
- Toro, Carlos (October 2, 2019). "All Elite Wrestling Countdown On TNT Averages 631,000 Viewers". Fightful.com. Fightful. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- Maglio, Tony (October 3, 2019). "TNT's 'All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite' Debut Buries USA Network's 'NXT' in Ratings". TheWrap.com. The Wrap. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- Barrasso, Justin (October 3, 2019). "Premieres of AEW and NXT Start 'Wednesday Night Wars' With a Bang". Yahoo.com. Yahoo Sports. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- "BREAKING: "AEW DARK" begins this Tuesday! Featuring the matches you didn't see on Dynamite. Hosted by @tonyschiavone24". Cody Rhodes on Twitter. October 5, 2019. Retrieved October 5, 2019.
- "AEW Made Its Empty Arena Show WAY Better Than WWE's - In One Simple Way". CBR. March 24, 2020. Retrieved April 4, 2020.
- Konuwa, Alfred. "AEW Dynamite Viewership Up 22%, Demolishes Vignette-Heavy WWE NXT". Forbes. Retrieved April 4, 2020.
- Staszewski, Joseph (May 19, 2021). "AEW Dynamite moving to TBS in 2022, new show revealed". New York Post. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Maglio, Tony (July 24, 2019). "All Elite Wrestling Gets Its Weeknight, Time Slot and Premiere Date From TNT – Plus a Trailer (Video)". The Wrap. Retrieved August 11, 2020.
- Otterson, Joe (January 15, 2020). "AEW to Expand to Two Nights a Week With New Multi-Year TNT Deal". Variety. Retrieved January 15, 2020.
- "AEW Plus Subscription Debuts Exclusively on FITE". FITE.TV. FITE. September 25, 2019. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- TSN.ca Staff (October 1, 2019). "TSN announces new partnership with ALL ELITE WRESTLING, becoming Canadian home of AEW DYNAMITE". TSN.ca. TSN. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- Currier, Joseph (May 8, 2019). "AEW announces UK broadcast details on pre show Double or Nothing". F4wonline. Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- "ANNOUNCEMENT - NEW SCHEDULE". Twitter.com. ITV Wrestling. October 2, 2019. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- Johnson, Mike (October 22, 2019). "AEW TV TO DEBUT IN GERMANY". PW Insider. Retrieved August 11, 2020.
- "Wir haben es für euch nach Deutschland geholt! Bei All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite begegnet ihr alten Bekannten und Newcomern aus der Wrestling-Szene. Freut euch auf actiongeladene Matches und dramatische Stories! Immer freitags um 21:50 Uhr auf TNT Serie" [We brought it to Germany for you! At All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite you will meet old acquaintances and newcomers from the wrestling scene. Look forward to action-packed matches and dramatic stories!]. TNT Serie (in German). October 22, 2019. Retrieved October 26, 2019.
- Berman, Ross (October 24, 2019). "AEW Dynamite Picks Up French TV Deal". ProWrestling.com. Retrieved August 11, 2020.
- WarnerMedia France [@WarnerMedia_FR] (October 24, 2019). "La ligue AEW arrive en exclusivité sur @ToonamiFR ! Découvrez les premiers épisodes le 31 octobre sur...et dès le mardi 5 novembre à 21h sur l'antenne chaque semaine, 6 jours après sa diffusion aux US #catch #wrestling #AEWDynamite" [The AEW League arrives exclusively on @ToonamiFR! Discover the first episodes on October 31 and from Tuesday November 5 at 9 p.m. on the air each week, 6 days after its broadcast in the US #catch #wrestling #AEWDynamite] (Tweet) (in French). Retrieved October 24, 2019 – via Twitter.
- DeFelice, Robert (July 24, 2020). "After Two Decades, Sky Sports Italy Is Dropping WWE And Replacing Them With All Elite Wrestling". Fightful. Retrieved August 11, 2020.
- "Un'estate lunga un anno: una stagione di sport da vivere su Sky Sport" [A year-long summer: a season of sport to be experienced on Sky Sport]. Sky Sport (in Italian). July 21, 2020. Retrieved July 21, 2020.
- "Nou canal de sport în grila Digi: Sport Extra HD. Are motorsport, wrestling sau ciclism". Paginademedia.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved March 7, 2021.
- Space [@spacebrasil] (November 12, 2020). "⚠ Agora é oficial ⚠ A elite do Wrestling mundial chega quebrando tudo no #AEWSpace Estreia este mês, no Space" [⚠ Now it's official ⚠ The elite of world wrestling arrives breaking everything in #AEWSpace Opening this month at Space] (Tweet) (in Portuguese). Retrieved November 14, 2020 – via Twitter.
- Filippone, Agustín (November 15, 2020). "AEW llega a Latinoamérica por el canal Space" [AEW arrives in Latin America through the Space channel]. Superluchas. Retrieved November 15, 2020.
- "AEW comes to TNT Africa". Retrieved January 23, 2021.
- "TNT Africa announces channel refresh for 2021". Retrieved January 23, 2021.