Super Show-Down (2018)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Date||October 6, 2018|
|City||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Venue||Melbourne Cricket Ground|
|Buy rate||65,000 (excluding WWE Network views)|
|WWE Network event chronology|
|Super Show-Down chronology|
Super Show-Down was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event and WWE Network event, produced by WWE for their Raw, SmackDown, and 205 Live brand divisions. It took place on October 6, 2018, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne, Australia. It was the first WWE event under the Super Show-Down chronology.
Ten matches were contested at the event. In the main event, Triple H defeated The Undertaker in a No Disqualification match that was billed as the "Last Time Ever". In the penultimate match, Daniel Bryan defeated The Miz to earn a WWE Championship match. In other prominent matches, The Shield (Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose) defeated Braun Strowman, Dolph Ziggler, and Drew McIntyre, AJ Styles defeated Samoa Joe by submission in a no countout, no disqualification match to retain the WWE Championship, and Buddy Murphy defeated Cedric Alexander to win the WWE Cruiserweight Championship.
The event was met with mixed to positive reception from critics; although the 6-Man Tag Team Match, Cruiserweight, Smackdown Tag Team, and WWE title matches were highly praised, Daniel Bryan vs The Miz was subject to heavy criticism.
The card consisted of ten matches that resulted from scripted storylines, where wrestlers portrayed heroes, villains, or less distinguishable characters in scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches. Results were predetermined by WWE's writers on the Raw, SmackDown, and 205 Live brands. Storylines were produced on WWE's weekly television shows, Monday Night Raw, SmackDown Live, and the cruiserweight-exclusive 205 Live.
On June 16, 2018, a match between The Undertaker and Triple H was scheduled. On the August 20, 2018 episode of Raw, Triple H spoke about how he reluctantly accepted the rematch as the last match between the two at WrestleMania XXVIII (a Hell in a Cell match with Shawn Michaels as guest referee) was billed as the "End of an Era". Triple H added that the tagline of this contest would be "Last Time Ever".
At SummerSlam, The Miz defeated Daniel Bryan after hitting him with a pair of brass knuckles that his wife Maryse had given him. On the following SmackDown, Miz and Maryse mocked Bryan's retirement speech from two years earlier. Bryan and his wife Brie Bella came out and confronted them. Bryan called Miz a coward for having to cheat to win and revealed that SmackDown General Manager Paige approved of a mixed tag team match between Bryan and Brie and Miz and Maryse at Hell in a Cell, which Miz and Maryse won. On August 21, a rematch between Bryan and The Miz was also scheduled for Super Show-Down, where the winner would receive a WWE Championship opportunity.
Also on August 21, The Shield (Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, and Seth Rollins) were scheduled for a six-man tag team match at the event. The Shield would reunite to prevent Braun Strowman from cashing in his Money in the Bank contract for the WWE Universal Championship on Reigns on the August 20 episode of Raw after Reigns had retained the title against Finn Bálor. This led to a match on the August 27 episode of Raw, in which Reigns and Strowman teamed up to face against Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre. During the match, Strowman turned on Reigns and helped Ziggler and McIntyre attack him, turning heel for the second time in his career. Following the assault on Reigns, the trio would also attack Ambrose and Rollins when they tried to aid Reigns. A six-man tag team match between The Shield and Strowman, Ziggler, and McIntyre was scheduled for Super Show-Down.
At SummerSlam, during the WWE Championship match between Samoa Joe and AJ Styles, Joe taunted Styles by disrespecting his wife and daughter, who were in attendance. An irate Styles attacked Joe with a steel chair, resulting in Joe winning by disqualification, however, Styles retained the title. On August 24, a rematch between the two for the title was scheduled for Hell in a Cell. At the pay-per view, Styles countered Joe's "Coquina Clutch" into a pin to retain the championship, despite Styles tapping out to the "Coquina Clutch" which the referee did not see. After the match, Joe attacked Styles. An irate Joe demanded a rematch with Styles. Paige agreed and scheduled a third match between the two for the title at Super Show-Down, with "no disqualifications, no count-outs, and no excuses".
On the August 7 episode of SmackDown, The New Day's Big E and Kofi Kingston defeated The Bar (Cesaro and Sheamus) to become the number one contenders for the SmackDown Tag Team Championship at SummerSlam, where The New Day defeated defending champions The Bludgeon Brothers' (Harper and Rowan) by disqualification, but did not win the titles. The New Day captured the championships on the following episode of SmackDown Live and retained them at Hell in a Cell. On September 4, a match between The New Day and The Bar for the titles was scheduled for Super Show-Down.
At SummerSlam, Charlotte Flair defeated Becky Lynch and defending champion Carmella in a triple threat match to capture the SmackDown Women's Championship. After the match, Lynch attacked Flair, thus turning heel. Throughout following weeks, the two attacked each other. At Hell in a Cell, Lynch defeated Flair to win the championship. A title rematch was scheduled at Super Show-Down.
Following the return of Trish Stratus on the August 27 episode of Raw, Stratus, along with Raw Women's Champion Ronda Rousey would accompany Natalya in her match against Alicia Fox, which she won. After the contest, the duo were congratulated by The Bella Twins (Nikki Bella and Brie Bella), who announced that they would be returning to action against The Riott Squad (Ruby Riott, Liv Morgan and Sarah Logan) on the September 3 edition of Raw. A six-woman tag team match between Rousey & The Bella Twins against The Riott Squad was scheduled for Super Show-Down.
On the August 21 episode of SmackDown, Peyton Royce defeated Naomi. The following week, Billie Kay defeated Naomi. On the September 4 episode of SmackDown, Naomi defeated Royce. After the match, The IIconics attacked Naomi until the returning Asuka made the save. On September 4, a tag team match between The IIconics and Asuka & Naomi was scheduled for Super Show-Down.
On August 10, a match between John Cena and Kevin Owens was scheduled for Super Show-Down. However on August 21, the match was changed to a tag team match with Cena and Bobby Lashley facing Owens and Elias.
|English commentators||Michael Cole|
The actual pay-per-view opened with The New Day (Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods) (with Big E) defending the SmackDown Tag Team Championship against Cesaro and Sheamus. In the end, Kingston and Woods performed a backstabber and diving double foot stomp combination on Cesaro to retain the title.
Next, Becky Lynch defended the SmackDown Women's Championship against Charlotte Flair. In the end, Lynch attempted to walk away from the match with her Championship until Flair brought her back in the ring. Flair applied the "Figure-Eight Leglock" on Lynch only for Lynch to grab her title, which was laying in the ring, and attack Flair with it, thus Flair won by disqualification, but Lynch retained. After the match, Lynch continued to attack Flair.
After that, John Cena and Bobby Lashley faced Kevin Owens and Elias. During the match, Elias and Owens dominated Lashley. Halfway through, Cena was eventually tagged in, performed a "Five Knuckle Shuffle", "Attitude Adjustment", and the "Sixth Move of Doom" on Elias to win the match. After the match, Cena cut a promo where he thanked the crowd in attendance.
In the fourth match, The IIconics (Peyton Royce and Billie Kay) fought Asuka and Naomi. In the end, Kay attacked Naomi and Royce pinned her to win the match.
Next, AJ Styles defended the WWE Championship against Samoa Joe in a no countout, no disqualification match. Before the match began, Styles and Joe fought on the entrance ramp. The match eventually began when both combatants entered the ring. Styles performed a moonsault into a reverse DDT on Joe for a near-fall. Joe performed a clothesline on Styles for another near-fall. Joe attempted to attack Styles with a chair, only for Styles to counter Joe with a dropkick and attacked Joe with the chair. Styles attempted another attack, however, Joe performed a uranage on Styles onto the chair for another near-fall. Joe attempted an inverted DDT through a table on Styles, however, Styles countered and put Joe through the table instead. Joe applied the "Coquina Clutch" on Styles, however, Styles escaped. Styles performed a 450° splash onto Joe's knee. Styles performed a "Phenomenal Forearm" on Joe off the barricade. Styles attempted a second "Phenomenal Forearm" on Joe, only for Joe to counter into the "Coquina Clutch". In the end, Styles forced Joe to tap out to the "Calf Crusher" to retain the title.
In the sixth match, The Riott Squad (Ruby Riott, Liv Morgan, and Sarah Logan) faced Ronda Rousey and The Bella Twins (Nikki and Brie Bella). In the end, Rousey applied a double armbar to both Morgan and Logan, which caused both to submit to win the match.
After that, Cedric Alexander defended the WWE Cruiserweight Championship against Buddy Murphy. Murphy went on the attack early and tried to finish the match quickly. Later, Alexander performed a Michinoku Driver and the "Lumbar Check" for a near-fall. In the climax, Murphy performed "Murphy's Law" on Alexander to win the title.
Next, The Shield (Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, and Roman Reigns) fought Braun Strowman, Dolph Ziggler, and Drew McIntyre. The Shield tried to put Strowman through the announce table with a triple powerbomb, however, they were intercepted by Ziggler and McIntyre. In the end, as Reigns attempted to perform a superman punch on McIntyre, Reigns ended up accidentally hitting Ambrose. The Shield tried for the triple powerbomb on McIntyre, however, Strowman tackled them. In the climax, Ambrose performed "Dirty Deeds" on Ziggler to win the match.
In the penultimate match, The Miz fought Daniel Bryan where the winner would become the #1 contender for the WWE Championship. Miz performed a running knee on Bryan for a near-fall. As The Miz tried for the "Skull-Crushing Finale", Bryan reversed it into a small package to win the match. Following this, it was announced that Bryan would receive his WWE Championship match against AJ Styles at Crown Jewel.
In the main event, The Undertaker (accompanied by Kane) faced Triple H (accompanied by Shawn Michaels). Before the match officially began, it was announced that the match stipluation was changed to a No Disqualification match. In the climax, as Undertaker had Michaels positioned for a Tombstone Piledriver, Triple H attacked Undertaker with a sledgehammer, Michaels performed "Sweet Chin Music" on Undertaker, and Triple H performed the "Pedigree" on Undertaker to win the match. After the match, Triple H and Michaels helped Undertaker to his feet. Kane (who had been put through a table midway through the match) entered the ring and the four men showed mutual respect. However, as they began to depart, Undertaker and Kane attacked Triple H and Shawn Michaels and put Michaels through an announcer's table.
The event was met with mixed to positive reception from critics; most negativity went to the match between Daniel Bryan & The Miz.
Anthony Mango of The Bleacher Report said that WWE Super Show-Down hurt its surrounding events and suffered from being crammed between Hell in a Cell and Evolution, which never gave it a chance to be anything but superfluous, stating that the event consisted of rematches of feuds that have gone on since SummerSlam or longer, pointless tag team contests with nothing on the line similar to an episode of Raw or SmackDown, one major fight capitalizing on nostalgia and only three titles on the line, stating that the event didn't look good heading into it.
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter rated the matches of the event. The Cruiserweight Championship match & WWE Championship match were the highest rated at 4.25 stars. The next highest was the 6 Man tag team match between The Shield & Strowman, McIntyre and Ziggler at 3.75 stars. The SmackDown Tag Team Championship match and the SmackDown Women's Championship match were rated 3 stars. Rousey and The Bellas vs. Riott Squad was rated 2.25 stars. The lowest rated matches were Cena & Lashley vs. Elias & Owens at 1.75 stars, The IIconics vs. Naomi & Auska and Undertaker vs. Triple H at 1.25 stars and Bryan vs. The Miz at 1 star.
Triple H and Shawn Michaels kicked off the October 8 episode of Raw by addressing The Undertaker and Kane's attack following Triple H's victory. They stated that the respect that once existed between both sides was gone, leading Triple H and Michaels, the latter coming out of retirement, to reform D-Generation X and challenge The Brothers of Destruction to a tag team match at Crown Jewel on November 2. The match was later made official, marking Michaels' first match since WrestleMania XXVI in 2010, where he was retired by The Undertaker.
Ronda Rousey and The Bella Twins defeated The Riott Squad in a rematch on the October 8 episode of Raw. The Bella Twins turned heel after the match by attacking Rousey. Later in the evening, it was announced that Rousey would defend the Raw Women's Championship against the Nikki Bella at Evolution on October 28.
On the October 9 episode of SmackDown Live, Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch's championship rematch ended in a double countout, after which, the two women brawled. Later in the program, SmackDown General Manager Paige announced that Lynch would defend the SmackDown Women's Championship against Charlotte in the first-ever Last Woman Standing Match at Evolution.
|1||The New Day (Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods) (c) (with Big E) defeated The Bar (Cesaro and Sheamus) by pinfall||Tag team match for the WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship||9:38|
|2||Charlotte Flair defeated Becky Lynch (c) by disqualification||Singles match for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship||10:50|
|3||John Cena and Bobby Lashley defeated Elias and Kevin Owens by pinfall||Tag team match||10:05|
|4||The IIconics (Billie Kay and Peyton Royce) defeated Asuka and Naomi by pinfall||Tag team match||5:45|
|5||AJ Styles (c) defeated Samoa Joe by submission||No Countout, No Disqualification match for the WWE Championship||23:45|
|6||Ronda Rousey and The Bella Twins (Brie Bella and Nikki Bella) defeated The Riott Squad (Ruby Riott, Liv Morgan, and Sarah Logan) by submission||Six-woman tag team match||10:05|
|7||Buddy Murphy defeated Cedric Alexander (c) by pinfall||Singles match for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship||10:35|
|8||The Shield (Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, and Seth Rollins) defeated Braun Strowman, Dolph Ziggler, and Drew McIntyre by pinfall||Six-man tag team match||19:40|
|9||Daniel Bryan defeated The Miz by pinfall||Singles match to determine the #1 contender for the WWE Championship||2:25|
|10||Triple H (with Shawn Michaels) defeated The Undertaker (with Kane) by pinfall||No Disqualification match||27:35|
- Powell, Jason. "Powell's WWE Super Show-Down live review: Undertaker vs. Triple H for the final time, AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe in a no DQ, no count-out match for the WWE Title, The Shield vs. Braun Strowman, Drew McIntyre, and Dolph Ziggler, Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte for the Smackdown Women's Title". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- f4wonline.com. August 1, 2019 https://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/10/07/many-fans-really-attended-wwe-super-show/. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
Although WWE announced 70,309 fans at Super Show-Down, Wrestling Observer Radio said that the actual attendance for the show was around 62,000 fans.Missing or empty
- Observer Staff (April 2, 2020). "April 6, 2020 Observer Newsletter: Florida lockdown, WrestleMania preview". f4wonline.com. Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved April 2, 2020.
- "WWE'S biggest stars come to Australia for WWE Super Show-Down on October 6". WWE. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on February 26, 2009. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- "Triple H Conference Call Report: Discusses 205 Live, NXT Takeover: Toronto, Says HBK Working at the Performance Center and More - 411MANIA". 411mania.com.
- Steinberg, Brian (May 25, 2016). "WWE's 'Smackdown' Will Move To Live Broadcast On USA (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on May 26, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- "The Undertaker vs. Triple H (Hell in a Cell Match with special referee Shawn Michaels)". WWE. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- Powell, Jason. "Powell's WWE SummerSlam 2018 live review: Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship, AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe for the WWE Championship, Alexa Bliss vs. Ronda Rousey for the Raw Women's Championship, Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved August 19, 2018.
- Barnett, Jake. "8/21 Barnett's WWE Smackdown Live TV Review: Bludgeon Brothers vs. New Day in a No DQ match for the Smackdown Tag Titles, Randy Orton vs. Jeff Hardy, Becky Lynch explains her actions at SummerSlam, AJ Styles interview". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved August 21, 2018.
- Johnson, Mike; Fernandes, Steven. "WWE REVAMPS MATCH ON SUPER SHOW-DOWN, NEW MATCHES REVEALED". PWInsider. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- Powell, Jason (August 20, 2018). "8/20 Powell's WWE Raw Live TV Review: The night after WWE SummerSlam, new champions Roman Reigns and Ronda Rousey, Triple H appearance, Dean Ambrose vs. Dolph Ziggler". Pro Wreslting Dot Net. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- Powell, Jason (August 27, 2018). "8/27 Powell's WWE Raw Live TV Review: Braun Strowman wants Roman Reigns alone in the ring after last week's attack by The Shield, Baron Corbin's first night as temporary general manager, the build to Hell in a Cell continues". Pro Wreslting Dot Net. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE Hell in a Cell lineup: Two matches advertised for the September event". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Powell, Jason. "Powell's WWE Hell in a Cell 2018 live review: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman in an HIAC for the WWE Universal Championship with Mick Foley as referee, AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe for the WWE Title, Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton in an HIAC match". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- Pappolla, Ryan. "WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe". WWE. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- Barnett, Jake. "8/7 Barnett's WWE Smackdown Live TV Review: AJ Styles responds to Samoa Joe, New Day vs. The Bar for a Smackdown Tag Title match at SummerSlam, Becky Lynch and Charlotte vs. The Iiconics". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved August 7, 2018.
- Namako, Jason. "Two new matches set for WWE Super Show-Down on October 6 in Australia". WrestleView. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- Powell, Jason. "9/4 Powell's WWE Smackdown Live TV Review: The Usos vs. Sanity vs. Rusev Day to earn a spot in the No. 1 contenders match for the Smackdown Tag Titles, the road to WWE Hell in a Cell continues". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved September 4, 2018.
- Namako, Jason. "Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch added to WWE Super Show-Down on October 6 in Australia". WrestleView. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- Barnett, Jake (August 28, 2018). "8/28 Barnett's WWE Smackdown Live TV Review: Charlotte vs. Carmella for the Smackdown Women's Championship, Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson vs. Sheamus and Cesaro vs. The Colons to earn a spot in a No. 1 contender match for the Smackdown Tag Titles". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- Martin, Adam (August 10, 2018). "John Cena vs. Kevin Owens announced for WWE Super Show-Down in Australia". WrestleView. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- Wilen, Jerome (August 30, 2018). "Cruiserweight Championship Match added to WWE Super Show-Down in Australia on October 6". WrestleView. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- "WWE Super Show-Down Times". Internet Wrestling Database. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Bristout, Ralph. "SmackDown Tag Team Champions The New Day def. The Bar". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Pappolla, Ryan. "Charlotte Flair def. SmackDown Women's Champion Becky Lynch via disqualification". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Wortman, James. "John Cena & Bobby Lashley def. Kevin Owens & Elias". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- "The IIconics def. Asuka & Naomi". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Pappolla, Ryan. "WWE Champion AJ Styles def. Samoa Joe". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Wortman, James. "Ronda Rousey & The Bella Twins def. The Riott Squad". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Bristout, Ralph. "Buddy Murphy def. Cedric Alexander to win the WWE Cruiserweight Championship". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Pappolla, Ryan. "The Shield def. Braun Strowman, Drew McIntyre & Dolph Ziggler". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Bristout, Ralph. "Daniel Bryan def. The Miz to win WWE Championship Match opportunity". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Pappolla, Ryan. "Triple H def. The Undertaker". WWE. Retrieved October 6, 2018.