WWE Crown Jewel
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|WWE Crown Jewel|
|Brand(s)||Raw (2018–2019, 2021–present)|
SmackDown (2018–2019, 2021–present)
205 Live (2019)
WWE Crown Jewel is a professional wrestling event produced by WWE, an American-based promotion. It is broadcast live and available only through pay-per-view (PPV) and the livestreaming services Peacock and the WWE Network. Established in 2018, the event has been held every year since except in 2020, which was due to the COVID-19 pandemic that year, and it is held in late October—early November. It is WWE's main recurring event that takes place in Saudi Arabia as part of a 10-year partnership in support of Saudi Vision 2030; the inaugural Crown Jewel was the second event in this partnership. The event's name is a reference to it taking place in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia.
In early 2018, the American professional wrestling promotion WWE began a 10-year strategic multiplatform partnership with the General Sports Authority in support of Saudi Vision 2030, Saudi Arabia's social and economic reform program. The first pay-per-view (PPV) and WWE Network event under this partnership, the Greatest Royal Rumble, was held at the King Abdullah Sports City's King Abdullah International Stadium in Jeddah on April 27, 2018. A follow-up was held on November 2 titled Crown Jewel, which was held at the King Saud University Stadium in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia; the show was headlined by the first (and so far only) "WWE World Cup" tournament, and a tag team match between D-Generation X (Shawn Michaels and Triple H) and The Brothers of Destruction (Kane and The Undertaker).
A second Crown Jewel event was then held the following year on October 31, 2019, at the King Fahd International Stadium, also in Riyadh, thus establishing Crown Jewel as a recurring event for the Saudi Arabian partnership, and specifically, a recurring event in Riyadh. Because of COVID-19 pandemic-related regulations, a Crown Jewel was not held in 2020; however, the event returned in 2021 and took place on October 21 at the Mohammed Abdu Arena on the Boulevard in Riyadh. The 2021 event was also the first Crown Jewel to air on Peacock's WWE Network channel, following the merger of the American version of the WWE Network under Peacock in March that year.
On May 23, 2022, WWE announced that the 2022 Crown Jewel would be held on Saturday, November 5. The event was held at Mrsool Park, marking the second Crown Jewel to be held at this venue after the inaugural 2018 event, which was held there when it was previously referred to as King Saud University Stadium; the stadium's name was changed to Mrsool Park in 2020.
All Crown Jewel events are held in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
|1||Crown Jewel (2018)||November 2, 2018||King Saud University Stadium||D-Generation X (Shawn Michaels and Triple H) vs. The Brothers of Destruction (Kane and The Undertaker)|||
|2||Crown Jewel (2019)||October 31, 2019||King Fahd International Stadium||Seth Rollins (c) vs. "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt in a Falls Count Anywhere match that could not be stopped for any reason for the WWE Universal Championship|||
|3||Crown Jewel (2021)||October 21, 2021||Mohammed Abdu Arena on the Boulevard||Roman Reigns (c) vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship|||
|4||Crown Jewel (2022)||November 5, 2022||Mrsool Park||Roman Reigns (c) vs. Logan Paul for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship[a]|||
- "Saudi Arabia to host the Greatest Royal Rumble". WWE. March 5, 2018. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "National Transformation Program 2020" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-08-28.
- Adam Silverstein (March 5, 2018). "WWE news, rumors: 'Greatest Royal Rumble,' NXT injury, Jericho-NJPW done?". CBS Sports. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Jefferson Lake (March 5, 2018). "WWE: Saudi Arabia to host 50-man Royal Rumble". Sky Sports. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Lee, Joseph (October 6, 2018). "WWE News: Crown Jewel Moved To Smaller Venue, John Cena Thanks JBL For Hair Tips, Shawn Michaels and Triple H Comment On Super Show-Down". 411Mania. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- "WWE schedule, list of PPVs for 2019: Money in the Bank, Backlash date, location". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
- Nason, Josh (July 26, 2021). "WWE returning to Saudi Arabia on October 21". Wrestling Observer Figure Four Online. Archived from the original on July 27, 2021. Retrieved September 3, 2021.
- WWE.com Staff (March 8, 2021). "WWE Network to launch on Peacock March 18". WWE. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
- Casey, Connor (May 23, 2022). "WWE Announces Crown Jewel 2022, Updated Event Schedule for 2022". ComicBook.com. Retrieved May 23, 2022.
- Beltran, William (September 17, 2022). "Official: Roman Reigns vs. Logan Paul at Crown Jewel 2022". Super Luchas. Retrieved September 17, 2022.
- "THE NEXT WWE EVENT IN SAUDI ARABIA WILL TAKE PLACE.... | PWInsider.com". pwinsider.com.
- Johnson, Mike (August 16, 2021). "WWE Returning to Saudi Arabia". PWInsider. Retrieved September 3, 2021.