WWE Super ShowDown
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|WWE Super ShowDown|
205 Live (2018–2019)
WWE Super ShowDown (originally stylized as Super Show-Down) was a professional wrestling event produced by WWE, an American-based promotion. It was broadcast live and available only through pay-per-view (PPV) and WWE's livestreaming service, the WWE Network. The 2020 event was the last event held under the titular name, with the 2021 event ultimately getting postponed. Since then, there hasn't been any further events scheduled under the name.
Established in 2018, each of the three iterations of the event only took place in countries outside the United States. The first event was held in Australia and was WWE's first and so far only PPV event held in the country. The final two events were held in Saudi Arabia as part of a 10-year partnership in support of Saudi Vision 2030.
In June 2018, the American professional wrestling promotion WWE announced that it would be returning to Australia to hold a pay-per-view (PPV) and WWE Network event, which would be the company's first PPV event produced in the country. The event was titled Super Show-Down and was held at Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne, Victoria on October 6, 2018. Although WWE had held tours in Australia, the company's last big event to be held in the country was the Global Warning Tour in 2002.
Also in early 2018, WWE began a 10-year strategic multiplatform partnership with the General Sports Authority in support of Saudi Vision 2030, Saudi Arabia's social and economic reform program. The first PPV and WWE Network event under this partnership, the Greatest Royal Rumble, was held at the King Abdullah Sports City's King Abdullah International Stadium in Jeddah on April 27, 2018. In 2019, WWE held Super ShowDown (stylized without a dash) as their third event under this partnership, and subsequently the second event in the Super ShowDown chronology. The event was held on June 7, 2019, also at the King Abdullah International Stadium. A second Super ShowDown in Saudi Arabia was then held on February 27, 2020, at the Mohammed Abdu Arena on the Boulevard in Riyadh, thus making the event a recurring event in the Saudi Arabian partnership.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic that began in mid-March 2020, an event was not held in 2021. COVID restrictions were lifted later that year, and WWE returned to Saudi Arabia with the Crown Jewel event in October. Super ShowDown was not included in WWE's initial PPV slate for 2022; the company's first PPV in Saudi Arabia for the year would ultimately be Elimination Chamber in February, and their only other Saudi Arabian PPV for 2022 was announced as Crown Jewel in November.
|1||Super Show-Down (2018)||October 6, 2018||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia||Melbourne Cricket Ground||The Undertaker vs. Triple H in a No Disqualification match|||
|2||Super ShowDown (2019)||June 7, 2019||Jeddah, Makkah Region, Saudi Arabia||King Abdullah International Stadium||The Undertaker vs. Goldberg|||
|3||Super ShowDown (2020)||February 27, 2020||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia||Mohammed Abdu Arena on the Boulevard||"The Fiend" Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Goldberg for the WWE Universal Championship|||
(c) – refers to the champion(s) heading into the match
- "WWE Super Show-Down « Events Database « CAGEMATCH - The Internet Wrestling Database". www.cagematch.net. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- "WWE'S biggest stars come to Australia for WWE Super Show-Down on October 6". WWE. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- "Saudi Arabia to host the Greatest Royal Rumble". WWE. March 5, 2018. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "National Transformation Program 2020" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-08-28.
- Adam Silverstein (March 5, 2018). "WWE news, rumors: 'Greatest Royal Rumble,' NXT injury, Jericho-NJPW done?". CBS Sports. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Jefferson Lake (March 5, 2018). "WWE: Saudi Arabia to host 50-man Royal Rumble". Sky Sports. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Undertaker, Goldberg to clash for first time ever at WWE Super ShowDown". WWE. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- Toro, Carlos. "WWE Announces Super ShowDown Pay-Per-View For February 27 In Saudi Arabia". Fightful. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- Nason, Josh (July 26, 2021). "WWE returning to Saudi Arabia on October 21". Wrestling Observer Figure Four Online. Archived from the original on July 27, 2021. Retrieved September 3, 2021.
- WWE.com Staff (October 25, 2021). "WWE unveils 2022 pay-per-view schedule". WWE. Retrieved October 27, 2021.
- "WWE returns to Jeddah for WWE Elimination Chamber 2022". WWE. January 17, 2022. Retrieved January 17, 2022.
- Guzzo, Gisberto (May 23, 2022). "WWE Announces Crown Jewel Event In Saudi Arabia For November 2022". Fightful. Retrieved May 23, 2022.