From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Created by||Shonda Rhimes|
|Inspired by||"How Anna Delvey Tricked New York's Party People"|
by Jessica Pressler
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||9|
|Running time||59–82 minutes|
|Original release||February 11, 2022|
Inventing Anna is an American drama television miniseries created and produced by Shonda Rhimes, inspired by the story of Anna Sorokin and the article in New York titled "How Anna Delvey Tricked New York's Party People" by Jessica Pressler. The series was released on Netflix on February 11, 2022. Julia Garner starred as Anna Sorokin, the title character. The series received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the performances (particularly Garner) but criticized the inconsistent tone.
Under the assumed name Anna Delvey, Russian-born Anna Sorokin is able to con members of New York City's upper crust into believing she is a German heiress with access to a substantial fortune. She uses this persona to receive hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, goods and services while working towards her goal of opening an exclusive art-themed club.
Cast and characters
- Anna Chlumsky as Vivian Kent
- Julia Garner as Anna "Delvey" Sorokin
- Arian Moayed as Todd Spodek
- Katie Lowes as Rachel Williams
- Alexis Floyd as Neff Davis
- Anders Holm as Jack
- Anna Deavere Smith as Maud
- Jeff Perry as Lou
- Terry Kinney as Barry
- Laverne Cox as Kacy Duke
- Rebecca Henderson as ADA Catherine McCaw
- Kate Burton as Nora Radford
- Tim Guinee as Paul
- Armand Schultz as Landon Bloom
- Anthony Edwards as Alan Reed
- Caitlin FitzGerald as Mags
- James Cusati-Moyer as Val
- Saamer Usmani as Chase Sikorski
- Marika Domińczyk as Talia Mallay
- Joshua Malina as Henrick Knight
- Christopher Lowell as Noah
- Ben Rappaport as Billy McFarland
- Will Stephen as Martin Shkreli
- Gemma McIlhenny as D.O.C. Officer
- Kieron J. Anthony as Dr. Millikan
- Tracy Pollan as Sherry Reed
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Life of a VIP"||David Frankel||Shonda Rhimes||February 11, 2022|
|2||"The Devil Wore Anna"||Tom Verica||Matt Byrne||February 11, 2022|
|3||"Two Birds, One Throne"||Daisy von Scherler Mayer||Jess Brownell||February 11, 2022|
|4||"A Wolf in Chic Clothing"||David Frankel||Abby Ajayi||February 11, 2022|
|5||"Check Out Time"||Ellen Kuras||Carolyn Ingber Lewinsky and Abby Ajayi||February 11, 2022|
|6||"Friends in Low Places"||Nzingha Stewart||Jess Brownell||February 11, 2022|
|7||"Cash on Delivery"||Nzingha Stewart||Abby Ajayi||February 11, 2022|
|8||"Too Rich for Her Blood"||Tom Verica||Nicholas Nardini||February 11, 2022|
|9||"Dangerously Close"||Ellen Kuras||Matt Byrne||February 11, 2022|
In June 2018, Netflix and Shondaland acquired the rights to the life story of Anna Sorokin and the New York article "How Anna Delvey Tricked New York's Party People" by Jessica Pressler, with plans to turn it into a television series with Shonda Rhimes serving as producer and writer, alongside Betsy Beers. Sorokin received $320,000, which was used to pay restitution and legal fees. David Frankel was named as director and executive producer of two episodes of the series, including the first.
In October 2019, Julia Garner, Anna Chlumsky, Katie Lowes, Laverne Cox, and Alexis Floyd joined the cast of the series. Madeline Brewer was set to portray the role of Anna Delvey but had to pass due to scheduling conflicts. Also in October 2019, principal photography began in New York and Los Angeles.
In November 2019, Arian Moayed, Anders Holm, Anna Deavere Smith, Jeff Perry and Terry Kinney joined the cast of the series. In February 2020, Jennifer Esposito joined the cast of the series, but never appeared and the part of Talia was played by Marika Dominczyk.
On February 11, 2022, Inventing Anna premiered on Netflix.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds a 64% approval rating based on 87 reviews, with an average rating of 6.2/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "While Inventing Anna is as tonally wobbly as Julia Garner's intentionally daffy accent, her committed performance and the salacious story make for juicy entertainment." On Metacritic, the series has a score of 57 out of 100, based on 34 reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Saloni Gajjar of The A.V. Club gave the limited series a B- and said, "Despite its more evocative performances, Inventing Anna demands patience that doesn't pay off, squandering its promising potential along the way." Reviewing the series for Rolling Stone, Alan Sepinwall gave a rating of 2/5 and described it as "an overly long muddle, never quite sure what it wants to say about its title character, or how to say it."
Mike Hale, television critic at the New York Times, praised some elements of the series and criticized others. Notably, he compared the original thrilling nature of the article to the slower pace of the television series: "Pressler's article was like a speeding car, a thrill ride that kept your pulse up right until it went off a cliff. Inventing Anna is a long, pokey road trip with no G.P.S. All of Pressler's most colorful anecdotes and appalling details have been squeezed in, sometimes tweaked to fit better within what is now a fictional narrative. But the thrill is gone."
According to Samba TV, 1.6 million US households watched the Netflix series in its first 4 days of streaming.
The series sits in the all-time most watched English language TV series of all time with 511.92 million hours watched in the first 28 days of release, according to Netflix.
- ^ Pressler, Jessica (May 2018). "Maybe She Had So Much Money She Just Lost Track of It". thecut.com. New York Magazine. Archived from the original on February 9, 2022.
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (July 20, 2018). "Shondaland Unveils Netflix Series Slate: 'The Warmth Of Other Suns', White House Drama 'The Residence', Ellen Pao Project, More". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 9, 2020.
- ^ a b Petski, Denise (November 22, 2021). "'Inventing Anna': Shondaland Netflix Series Gets Premiere Date, First-Look Teaser". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 22, 2021.
- ^ a b c d e Wang, Lydia (February 11, 2022). "A Guide to All the Scammers and Scammees of 'Inventing Anna'". Netflix. Archived from the original on February 14, 2022.
- ^ Holmes, Dave (February 11, 2022). "Anthony Edwards Knows Some Good Things Take Time". Esquire. Archived from the original on February 13, 2022.
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie (June 8, 2018). "Shonda Rhimes Sets Netflix Series Based On Anna Delvey". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on June 12, 2018.
- ^ "NETFLIX AND SHONDALAND UNVEIL CAST OF LIMITED SERIES INVENTING ANNA" (Press release). Netflix. October 31, 2019. Archived from the original on November 4, 2019.
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (October 31, 2019). "Anna Chlumsky & Julia Garner Among 5 Cast In Shonda Rhimes' Netflix Series Based On Anna Delvey". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on October 31, 2019.
- ^ Kroll, Justin (November 1, 2019). "Madeline Brewer and Keean Johnson to Star in Hulu's 'The Ultimate Playlist of Noise'". Variety. Archived from the original on December 13, 2019.
- ^ "Filming in October: Upcoming Series 'Inventing Anna' in New York". Production List. FTIA. October 16, 2019. Archived from the original on September 20, 2020.
- ^ Otterson, Joe (November 7, 2019). "Shonda Rhimes' Anna Delvey Series at Netflix Adds Five More to Cast". Variety. Archived from the original on December 14, 2019.
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (February 5, 2020). "Jennifer Esposito Joins Shonda Rhimes' Netflix Series 'Inventing Anna'". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on June 4, 2020.
- ^ Lambert, Harper (February 18, 2022). "'Inventing Anna' Cast and Character Guide: Who's Who in the Netflix Show? (Photos)". TheWrap. Archived from the original on February 26, 2022.
- ^ "Inventing Anna: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved January 28, 2023.
- ^ "Inventing Anna: Season 1". Metacritic. Fandom, Inc. Retrieved June 5, 2022.
- ^ Gajjar, Saloni (February 9, 2022). "Netflix's Inventing Anna loses its exciting potential in a dawdling script". The A.V. Club. Archived from the original on February 9, 2022.
- ^ Sepinwall, Alan (February 9, 2022). "'Inventing Anna' Can't Catch the Scammer at Its Center". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on February 9, 2022.
- ^ Hale, Mike (February 10, 2022). "'Inventing Anna' Review: The SoHo Scammer, Explained at Length". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved August 8, 2022.
- ^ "Based on true crime series Inventing Anna & The Dropout score big for Netflix & Hulu". JoBlo. March 10, 2022. Retrieved July 11, 2022.
- ^ Moore, Kasey (March 15, 2023). "Most Watched Series & Movies on Netflix of All Time (Hours Watched)". What's on Netflix. Retrieved March 15, 2023.
- ^ "2022 HMMA Nominations". Hollywood Music in Media Awards. Retrieved November 18, 2022.
- ^ "Winners: 9th Annual LMGI Awards". Location Managers Guild International. August 27, 2022. Retrieved August 27, 2022.
- ^ "MTV Movie & TV Awards: See the full list of winners". CNN. June 6, 2022. Retrieved July 1, 2022.
- ^ Snierson, Dan (September 12, 2022). "See the full list of 2022 Emmy winners". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on January 7, 2023. Retrieved January 11, 2023.
- ^ "2022 Creative Arts Emmys: See full winners list". Entertainment Weekly. September 4, 2022. Archived from the original on September 5, 2022. Retrieved January 11, 2023.
- ^ Pedersen, Erik (December 15, 2022). "'Fabelmans', 'Everything Everywhere' & 'Woman King' Lead AARP Movies For Grownups Nominations". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on December 15, 2022. Retrieved December 19, 2022.
- ^ Pedersen, Erik (October 17, 2022). "Artios Awards TV Nominations: Netflix & HBO/Max Lead Field For Casting Society". Deadline. Retrieved November 1, 2022.
- ^ Nordyke, Kimberly (January 15, 2023). "Critics Choice Awards: Full List of Winners". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on January 16, 2023. Retrieved January 16, 2023.
- ^ Schneider, Michael (January 10, 2023). "Severance, Station Eleven, The Daily Show Lead 2023 DGA Awards Television Nominations". Variety. Retrieved January 10, 2023.
- ^ Nordyke, Kimberly (January 10, 2023). "Golden Globes: Full List of Winners". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on January 11, 2023. Retrieved January 11, 2023.
- ^ Verhoeven, Beatrice (January 12, 2023). "Producers Guild Awards 2023 Film and TV Nominations Revealed". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 12, 2023.
- ^ Moreau, Jordan (January 11, 2023). "SAG Awards 2023 Nominations: The Complete List". Variety. Archived from the original on January 11, 2023. Retrieved January 11, 2023.