Naomi Osaka (TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Directed by||Garrett Bradley|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||3|
|Running time||37-42 minutes|
|Original release||July 16, 2021|
Naomi Osaka is an American documentary television miniseries directed by Garrett Bradley. It follows the life of professional tennis player Naomi Osaka over the course of two years. It consists of three episodes, and premiered on July 16, 2021, on Netflix.
The series follows Naomi Osaka over the course of two years.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date |
|1||"Rise"||Garrett Bradley||Leonard François||July 16, 2021|
|Raised to be a winner, Naomi chases a childhood dream of becoming a champion at the 2019 US Open. But as her star rises, success and fame take a toll.|
|2||"Champion Mentality"||Garrett Bradley||Leonard François||July 16, 2021|
|As she explores other talents, Naomi struggles with her mental well-being and sense of purpose while dealing with the unexpected loss of a close mentor.|
|3||"New Blueprint"||Garrett Bradley||Leonard François||July 16, 2021|
|After George Floyd's murder, Naomi joins a protest for the first time in Minnesota. Later, she uses her platform on the court and finds her voice.|
Netflix approached Garrett Bradley about making a docuseries revolving around Naomi Osaka. Bradley wanted the series to feel as if the viewer was journeying alongside Osaka, and with the intent of it not being a recap of her Wikipedia page or what had been said about her in the press. Bradley also felt the series should not be a definitive portrait of Osaka but a snapshot of a period of time in her life. Principal photography on the series began from 2019 to early 2021.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds an approval rating of 93% based on 14 critics and an average rating of 8.42/10. On Metacritic, it has a score of 76 out of 100 based on 12 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Naomi Osaka". AFI Docs. Retrieved June 8, 2021.
- "Naomi Osaka". Netflix. Retrieved July 6, 2021.
- "Naomi Osaka – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved July 8, 2020.
- Da Costa, Cassie (July 15, 2021). "How Garrett Bradley Got Inside Naomi Osaka's Head". Vanity Fair. Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- Elber, Lynn (July 16, 2021). "'Naomi Osaka' docuseries takes intimate look at tennis star". The Daily Herald. Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- Morfoot, Addie (July 15, 2021). "Garrett Bradley on Netflix's Naomi Osaka Documentary and Her Decision to Withdraw From the French Open". Variety. Retrieved July 15, 2021.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 12, 2020). "Netflix Picks Up Naomi Osaka Docuseries About The Tennis Star". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 31, 2021.
- Montplier, Rachel (February 13, 2021). "Sundance Winner Garrett Bradley Directing Netflix Docuseries About Naomi Osaka". Women and Hollywood. Retrieved May 31, 2021.
- Johnson, Ted (May 26, 2021). "AFI Docs Announces Slate For 2021 Festival: World Premieres Include 'Obama: In Pursuit Of A More Perfect Union,' 'White Coat Rebels' And 'The Slow Hustle'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 31, 2021.
- Johnson, Ted (May 13, 2021). "AFI Docs Announces Initial Screenings For 2021 Event; Anthony Bourdain Project To Screen As Centerpiece". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 31, 2021.
- Dry, Jude (July 6, 2021). "'Naomi Osaka' Trailer: Garrett Bradley's Netflix Docuseries on the Tennis Superstar and Activist". IndieWire. Retrieved July 6, 2021.
- "Naomi Osaka". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- "Naomi Osaka: Season 1". Metacritic. Fandom, Inc. Retrieved July 18, 2021.