From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Also known as||The Accidental Narco|
|Directed by||Yoon Jong-bin|
|Music by||Jo Yeong-wook|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Picture format||4K (Ultra HD)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||September 9, 2022|
Suriname (Korean: 수리남; RR: Surinam) is a South Korean streaming television series directed and co-written by Yoon Jong-bin, and starring Ha Jung-woo, Hwang Jung-min, Park Hae-soo, Jo Woo-jin, Yoo Yeon-seok and Nubel Feliz Yan. Based on true events, the series depicts an ordinary entrepreneur who has no choice but to risk his life in joining the secret mission of government agents to capture a South Korean drug lord operating in Suriname. It was released on September 9, 2022 on Netflix, alongside an English language dub renamed Narco-Saints, in order to draw similarities to Netflix's previous similarly-premised series Narcos (2015–2017) and Narcos: Mexico (2018–2021), the "play next" of the latter series linking to Narco-Saints.
The life-threatening journey of Kang In-gu (Ha Jung-woo), a civilian businessman who has no choice but to cooperate with the secret operation of the National Intelligence Service to catch Jeon Yo-hwan (Hwang Jung-min), a South Korean drug lord who has taken control of Suriname.
- Ha Jung-woo as Kang In-gu
- A businessman who arrived in Suriname for skate business, only to be forcefully pulled in by the National Intelligence Service for a secret operation to catch Yo-hwan.
- Hwang Jung-min as Jeon Yo-hwan
- A Korean drug lord currently based in Suriname, moonlighting as a pastor.
- Park Hae-soo as Choi Chang-ho
- The team leader of the National Intelligence Service's Branch in the Americas.
- Jo Woo-jin as Byeon Ki-tae
- The right-hand man of Yo-hwan; he was formerly under the Chinese organisation before betraying to work for Yo-hwan.
- Yoo Yeon-seok as David Julio Park
- The consultant lawyer for Yo-hwan.
- Kim Min-gwi as Lee Sang-jun
- A deacon and close aide of Yo-hwan.
- Choo Ja-hyun as Park Hye-jin
- In-gu's wife.
- Chang Chen as Chen Zhen 
- A Chinese gang leader based in Chinatown, Paramaribo.
- Jordan Preston as President Delano Alvarez
- The President of Suriname who came to power after conducting a military coup with the help of Yo-hwan.
- Bryan Larkin as DEA Chief
- He works closely with Chang-ho to arrest Yo-hwan.
- Lee Bong-ryun as Deaconess Jung
- Yo-hwan's church figure, she is cruel like him.
- Go Geon-han as Dong-woo
- Member of the National Intelligence Service and Chang-ho's assistant.
- Hyun Bong-sik as Park Eung-soo
- In-gu's high school friend and a sailor, he suggested that In-gu goes to Suriname for skate business.
- Kim Ye-won as Jeon Yo-hwan's wife
- In 1993, at a investment briefing headed by Yo-hwan, she disclosed false information regarding Yo-hwan having connections to the president to millionaires.
- Kim Si-hyeon as Si-hyeon
- Chang-ho's assistant.
- Chidi Ajufo as Gallas
- Anupam Tripathi as a soldier of the Surinamese Army
- Song Ho-bum as Chen Zhen's underling
- Lee Sung-min as The voice of a fishing boat captain
- Nubel Feliz Yan as Nubel The Mercenary 2
|No.||Episode||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Episode 1"||Yoon Jong-bin||Kwon Sung-hui, Yoon Jong-bin||22 September 2022|
|Kang In-gu, the main character, suffers from bad forces while doing business in Suriname. Then, some Surinamese pastor says he can help him.|
|2||"Episode 2"||Yoon Jong-bin||Kwon Sung-hui, Yoon Jong-bin||22 September 2022|
|Kang In-gu grows his influence in prison, following the instructions of a secret agent.|
|3||"Episode 3"||Yoon Jong-bin||Kwon Sung-hui, Yoon Jong-bin||22 September 2022|
|After Jeon Yo-hwan's investigation, Koo Sang-man and Jeon Yo-hwan start trading.|
|4||"Episode 4"||Yoon Jong-bin||Kwon Sung-hui, Yoon Jong-bin||22 September 2022|
|When the route to South Korea was blocked by the military, Sangman suggests another route.|
|5||"Episode 5"||Yoon Jong-bin||Kwon Sung-hui, Yoon Jong-bin||22 September 2022|
|Kang In-gu fails to persuade pastor Jeon; So In-gu and Koo Sang-man get a new plan.|
|6||"Episode 6"||Yoon Jong-bin||Kwon Sung-hui, Yoon Jong-bin||22 September 2022|
|Everything is going as planned, but the pastor makes an unexpected action. So a rescue plan is launched to save Kang In-gu who is left in Suriname.|
On March 23, 2021, the cast of K-drama Suriname, inspired by Netflix's Narcos, was announced to include Jo Woo-jin, Yoo Yeon-seok, Park Hae-soo, and Choo Ja-hyun, in addition to Ha Jung-woo and Hwang Jung-min, who had already been confirmed as the lead roles. The first script reading of the cast was held on March 22, 2021, at a location in Seoul.
Production of Suriname planned to be filmed at Dominican Republic from April last year, due to COVID-19 pandemic, the production was postponed indefinitely. Later, production started filming on a set in South Korea from last April and decided to shoot in Dominican Republic, not in Suriname, for about two months starting in November.
On November 9, 2021, it was reported that actors and staffs of Suriname departed to Dominican Republic from the end of October and plans return to Korea in mid-December. Yoo Yeon-seok recently returned to Korea in the end of October, Hwang Jung-min and Ha Jung-woo departed to Dominican Republic in late October and early November. Jo Woo-jin is scheduled to leave the country soon. This story background location will not resemble the Surinamese country.
The series was produced with an estimated cost of ₩35 billion.
Suriname's government has taken legal action against the production company for allegedly damaging Suriname's image by featuring drugs in Narco - Saints. Suriname's government, which takes legal action with just one drama, also said it would lodge a protest with the South Korean government. Specifically, Narco - Saints showed a corrupt president, as well as a drug scene. However, as national issues made a choice.
On September 13, 2022 (local time), the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Suriname expressed his displeasure about the Netflix original series Suriname, saying, “Suriname has been portrayed as a drug-transfer country for many years. We are working to improve the image. But we are at a disadvantage again with Netflix's 'Suriname' isn't just foreshadowing legal action against producers." He also announced that he would send an anti-job protest letter to the US ambassador in Suriname. A senior government official in Suriname went public about the job and expressed his discomfort. The interest in Netflix's response was consolidated. Later, Ahn Eun-joo, deputy spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced "If there is a misunderstanding, try to resolve it". In the end, it even showed signs of turning into a diplomatic issue. The Embassy of South Korea in Venezuela asserted that it was concerned about the safety of local residents in Suriname.
|Award ceremony||Year||Category||Nominee / Work||Result||Ref.|
|Baeksang Arts Awards||2023||Best Supporting Actor||Jo Woo-jin||Won|||
|Director's Cut Awards||2023||Best Director in Television||Yoon Jong-bin||Won|||
|Best Screenplay||Yoon Jong-bin, Kwon Seong-hwi||Won|
|Best Actor in Television||Jo Woo-jin||Won|
|Best New Actor in Television||Kim Min-gwi||Won|
|Best Actor in Television||Ha Jung-woo||Nominated|||
|Korea Drama Awards||2022||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Ha Jung-woo||Won|||
- ^ Sara Merican (July 28, 2022). "Starring Joo Won, Netflix's 'Carter' Will Be Released On August 5". Forbes. Archived from the original on August 8, 2022. Retrieved August 8, 2022.
- ^ a b Kim Boram (September 7, 2022). "'Narco-Saints' is crime-thriller about civilian undercover agent: director". Yonhap News. Retrieved November 17, 2022.
- ^ Jung Seung (May 27, 2021). "Director Yoon Jong-Bin's First Collaboration With Netflix Confirms Production and Casting For Suriname (WT)". Netflix. Retrieved January 21, 2022.
- ^ Kim Na-ra (January 19, 2022). ""하정우 '수리남'→김유정 '20세기 소녀'"…넷플릭스, 올해 韓 라인업 25편 공개 [공식]" ["Ha Jung-woo's 'Suriname' → Kim Yoo-jung's '20th Century Girl'"... Netflix unveils 25 Korean lineups this year [Official]]. My Daily (in Korean). Retrieved January 19, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Jo Ji-young (August 8, 2022). "[공식] 하정우X황정민→윤종빈 감독 '수리남' 9월 9일 추석 연휴 넷플릭스 공개 확정" [[Official] Ha Jung-woo X Hwang Jung-min → Yoon Jong-bin's 'Suriname' confirmed to be released on Netflix on September 9th during Chuseok holiday]. Sports Chosun (in Korean). Retrieved August 8, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Simons, Roxy (September 9, 2022). "Is Netflix's 'Narco-Saints' Connected to the 'Narcos' Franchise?". Newsweek. Newsweek Publishing LLC. Retrieved September 9, 2022.
- ^ Mo Shin-jeong (March 23, 2021). "[단독] '수리남' 하정우·황정민·조우진·유연석·박해수·추자현, 드림 캐스팅 확정… 4월말 크랭크인" [[Exclusive] 'Suriname' Ha Jung-woo, Hwang Jung-min, Jo Woo-jin, Yoo Yeon-seok, Park Hae-soo, Choo Ja-hyun, Dream Casting Confirmed... End of April crank-in]. hankooki (in Korean). Archived from the original on February 2, 2018. Retrieved March 23, 2021.
- ^ Kim Ye-eun (May 28, 2021). "넷플릭스 '수리남' 제작…하정우·황정민·박해수·조우진·유연석 출연 [공식입장]" [Netflix 'Suriname' production... Ha Jung-woo, Hwang Jung-min, Park Hae-soo, Jo Woo-jin, Yoo Yeon-seok appeared [official position]]. Naver (in Korean). xportsnews. Retrieved May 28, 2021.
- ^ Yoo Jeong-min (September 14, 2022). "김민귀, '수리남'서 강렬한 존재감...하정우X황정민도 움찔" [Kim Min-gwi, intense presence in 'Suri-nam'... Ha Jung-woo X Hwang Jung-min also flinched] (in Korean). Ten Asia. Retrieved September 14, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Lee Da-won (July 15, 2021). "[단독] 장첸, '수리남' 합류…하정우·황정민과 호흡" [[Exclusive] Chen Chen joins ‘Suriname’… Breathing with Ha Jung-woo and Hwang Jung-min]. Sports Kyunghyang (in Korean). Retrieved July 15, 2021.
- ^ Yeon, Hwi-seon (September 13, 2022). "고건한, '유세풍'부터 '수리남'까지 이게 바로 '천의 얼굴" [From Go Kun-han, 'Sure-pung' to 'Suriname', this is the 'Face of a Thousand] (in Korean). Osen. Retrieved September 13, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Lee Ha-na (September 15, 2022). "유연석, 친구 현봉식에 저절로 깍듯 인사‥믿기 힘든 동갑내기" [Yoo Yeon-seok greets his friend Hyun-bong-sik in a polite way… Unbelievable same age] (in Korean). Newsen. Retrieved September 15, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Kim Na-ra (September 14, 2022). "약쟁이 사모님', 걸그룹 출신이라고?"…김예원, 500 대 1 경쟁률 뚫고 '수리남' 캐스팅" [Your wife's,' you're from a girl group?"... Kim Ye-won casts 'Suriname' through 500 to 1 competition] (in Korean). My Daily. Retrieved September 14, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Kim Hyun-sook (September 15, 2022). "수리남' 국정원 요원 김시현, 판타지오와 전속계약" [Surinam' NIS agent Kim Si-hyeon, exclusive contract with Fantagio] (in Korean). Newsis. Retrieved September 15, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Choi Na-young (September 17, 2022). "수리남'에 '오겜' 알리가 출연했다..박해수 재회 '깜짝' [Oh!쎈 이슈]" ['Oh Gem' Ali appeared in 'Suriname'.. Park Hae-soo reunion 'Surprised' [Oh! Strong Issue]] (in Korean). Osen. Retrieved September 17, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Kim Chae-yeon (September 21, 2022). "이 사람이 원투였어?..'수리남' 장첸 부하, 알고 보니 송호범" [Was this person One Two?..'Suriname' Jang Chen's subordinate turns out to be Song Ho-beom] (in Korean). Osen. Retrieved September 21, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Jung Yu-jin (October 17, 2022). "이성민 "'헌트'→'수리남' 특별출연, 후배들에 도움 된다면 언제든" [N인터뷰]③" [Lee Seong-min "'Hunt' → 'Suriname' special appearance, if it helps juniors anytime" [N interview] ③] (in Korean). News1. Retrieved October 17, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Edgar Quiñónez (September 13, 2022). "Narcosantos, la serie de Netflix de espionaje y acción que te mantendrá en suspenso" [Narcosantos, the espionage and action Netflix series that will keep you in suspense] (in Spanish). News1. Retrieved September 13, 2022 – via República.
- ^ Tne, Iftekhar (September 19, 2022). "Narco-saints: K-drama's version of the famed Narcos". FE Online. The Financial Express. Retrieved September 19, 2022.
- ^ a b Park Yoo-jin (March 23, 2021). "황정민-하정우-유연석-추자현-박해수, '수리남' 출연.."마약왕 한국인의 실화..350억 제작비"" [Hwang Jung-min, Ha Jung-woo, Yoo Yeon-seok, Chu Ja-hyun, Park Hae-soo, 'Suriname' Appearance.."The true story of a Korean drug lord..35 billion production cost"] (in Korean). News Inside. Retrieved January 19, 2022.
- ^ Jo Yeon-kyung (November 5, 2021). "하정우·황정민 '수리남' 도미니카공화국 안전 출국…해외촬영 시작" [Ha Jung-woo and Hwang Jung-min's 'Suriname' leave the Dominican Republic safely... Start overseas filming] (in Korean). JTBC. Retrieved January 19, 2022.
- ^ Jeong Hwa (November 9, 2021). "[단독]황정민·하정우 '수리남' 도미니카공화국서 촬영中..유연석은 귀국" [[Exclusive] Hwang Jung-min and Ha Jung-woo's 'Suriname' in Dominican Republic filming.. Yoo Yeon-seok returns home] (in Korean). Star MT News. Retrieved January 19, 2022.
- ^ Kim, Seong-hyeon (September 14, 2022). "수리남 장관 "넷플릭스 '수리남'으로 마약 국가 이미지… 법적 조치 취할 것" [Suriname Minister "Netflix's 'Suriname' image of a drug nation... We will take legal action] (in Korean). YTN. Retrieved September 14, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ Jeong, Tae-yoon (September 15, 2022). "수리남 정부, '수리남'에 반발…외교부 "우호 관계 위해 노력"" [Surinamese government protests against 'Suriname'... Ministry of Foreign Affairs “Efforts to promote friendly relations”]. Dispatch (in Korean). Retrieved September 15, 2022 – via Naver.
- ^ "59th Baeksang Arts Awards Announces Nominees For TV And Film Categories". Soompi. April 7, 2023. Retrieved April 26, 2023.
- ^ Yoon, Ki-baek (February 24, 2023). "박찬욱 '헤어질 결심', 디렉터스컷 어워즈 5관왕" [Park Chan-wook's 'Decision to Break Up' wins 5 Director's Cut Awards] (in Korean). E-daily. Retrieved February 24, 2023 – via Naver.
- ^ Kim, Bo-young (February 9, 2023). "제21회 '디렉터스컷 어워즈', 3년 만에 오프라인 개최 [공식]" [The 21st 'Director's Cut Awards' held offline for the first time in 3 years [Official]] (in Korean). E-Daily. Retrieved February 17, 2023 – via Naver.
- ^ Yoon, Sang-geun (October 8, 2022). "수리남' 하정우, 2022 코리아드라마어워즈 대상 "드라마 대상 처음"[종합]" [Suriname' Ha Jung-woo, the 2022 Korea Drama Awards Grand Prize "Drama Grand Prize for the first time" [General]] (in Korean). MT Star News. Retrieved October 8, 2022 – via Naver.
- Narco-Saints on Netflix
- Narco-Saints at IMDb
- Narco-Saints at HanCinema